• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco?

tombrewster421

So you can have that right, so long as you don't exercise it.

Gotcha.

Just like how open carry is illegal in kommiefornia now. It's the fault of the OCers not the legislature right. (sarcasm x 1000)

That has got to be one of the most backward arguments that some gun owners use. It's sort of like a trailer queen car. Just for show, better not think about using it. (your rights)

PistolPackingMomma

Sorry, private property rights trump your rights when you're on said private property.

Yes, that's true.

What I take issue with are those who disrespect those private property policies by continuing to carry (concealed or openly) when said company has a repetitive history of being anti-gun. I'm not just referring to Costco here, although it is a prime example. The attitude of "I'll just cover it with my shirt and keep giving them my money" makes no sense to me. They don't want your gun; don't give them your money or support.

Private property rights trump my personal rights, which is why I won't go onto private property that does not support my rights. YMMV.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
So you can have that right, so long as you don't exercise it.

Gotcha.

The negative prohibitions of the Bill of Rights and the 14th amendment, apply to the actions of government, not private individuals and corporations.

The positive prohibitions that apply to private actors comes in the form of anti-discrimination law, regulations on parking, labor law, employment and public accommodations law, primarily passed by state governments under their plenary police powers.

When did Washington State pass a law requiring no discrimination in public accommodations against lawful gun owners in a similar fashion to other protected choices such as religion and marital status? Oh, that's right, they haven't. We're going to have a difficult enough time just getting parking lot protections. Your right on private property to carry openly, or even at all, or just being on the property, is solely at the whim of two authorities: The property owner, and the government using it's plenary police power with positive prohibitions against owner action against you.

When you sign the Costco membership agreement, there is regulations on your behavior. At this time, there is nothing in the agreement that speaks about firearms. That will change if you and others continue to open carry at Costco. You remember how Peets Coffee and California Pizza Kitchen banned all carry because people kept doing UOC at their California locations? That occurred because the anti-gunner groups successfully pressured them.

Your rights do not exist on private property, unless by their consent or positive prohibitions by a state under their plenary police power.

South Carolina also doesn't have open carry. Perhaps you should fix your own house before scolding people 3000 miles away for having prudence and discretion in open carrying? You have plenty of Sams Clubs in your neck of the woods, but we have maybe two Sams Clubs throughout the entire Seattle Metro area (North Seattle and Tacoma).

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I OC in Costco all the time. I disagree with the idea that OC carrying will push people over the edge. They are anti or they aren't. If that argument was true the blue state of Washington would have outlawed OC. But they haven't and it has become fairly normal. Why because people are used to seeing people OC.

Remember our carrying at Starbucks was and still is targeted by the anti's and it has had the opposite effect they hoped for.

amlevin

I think their milk tastes the best.

Maybe it comes from the Right Side of the Cow ;)

Only bitch I have about their milk is when you try to pour that first amount from their square bottles. I either need a bigger cereal bowl or a funnel. Always end up with too much on the counter when pouring from a fresh "bottle".:)

BTW, it sure would be nice if Costco was as diligent in enforcing those provisions of the "Policy" that are written in the membership agreement. Like the number of "guests". Kids, etc.

I'm glad I'm a business member and get to shop there an hour before the general membership opening.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

At this time, there is nothing in the agreement that speaks about firearms. That will change if you and others continue to open carry at Costco.

*shakes head sadly*

You remember how Peets Coffee and California Pizza Kitchen banned all carry because people kept doing UOC at their California locations? That occurred because the anti-gunner groups successfully pressured them.

Wait, I thought it was because OCer's were pushing the issue? So it's the anti's pressuring the business now? Hmmm. Here's a thought; any business that caves to pressure isn't a company worth doing business with.

Your rights do not exist on private property, unless by their consent or positive prohibitions by a state under their plenary police power.

I have already stated this is true, which is why I do not shop at Costco. I shop at places that support my rights, and don't cater to the whims and whines of the anti's.

South Carolina also doesn't have open carry. Perhaps you should fix your own house before scolding people 3000 miles away for having prudence and discretion in open carrying? You have plenty of Sams Clubs in your neck of the woods, but we have maybe two Sams Clubs throughout the entire Seattle Metro area (North Seattle and Tacoma).

I never said anything about Sam's club, and no, SC does not have open carry. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to comment in other sub-forums until the state I temporarily reside in is perfect. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

*shakes head sadly*

Wait, I thought it was because OCer's were pushing the issue? So it's the anti's pressuring the business now? Hmmm. Here's a thought; any business that caves to pressure isn't a company worth doing business with.

I have already stated this is true, which is why I do not shop at Costco. I shop at places that support my rights, and don't cater to the whims and whines of the anti's.

I never said anything about Sam's club, and no, SC does not have open carry. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to comment in other sub-forums until the state I temporarily reside in is perfect. Thanks for clearing that up.

I really don't get that diversionary tactic either.

And I extend a hearty Northwest welcome to you to join in our state sub-forum anytime you feel like it.

amzbrady

This costco thread reminded me of the guy that was shot in front of a Costco in vegas. There were two, two sided accounts written, many by the papaers saying the guy started destroying things inside costco and went berzerk, then everyone was evacuated, a cop tapped the guy on the shoulder saying he was a cop, the guy went for a gun and was shot by several officers, no one knew if he had a concealed weapon permit. Then accounts came out of a guy bent down looking at some things for a new place he moved into, a worker saw the concealed pistol and freaked out, called the police, they evacuated, the conceal guy was pointed out in the parking lot, told to get down and then shot when he didnt respond. There are a few witness accounts who say he was acting abnormal, he had his hands up, and NO ONE saw a gun, but one was found on him by the medical staff so the papers reported he had two guns. He was reveared as an upstanding individual by many.

Just something to be aware of how someone fear can run their imagination wild and things can go bad in a hurry. This is why in the casual encounters I hear of one here where they are approached by and officer in low ready, I think the officer should be able to be fined for brandishing if they put people in jeapordy needlessly. Anything can happen, and you wind up a statistic in a split second.

This also happened in Nevada...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfNV9bJoSg