Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Cabella's in Boise.....

  1. #1
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Cabella's in Boise.....

    Ok Saturday my wife, my friend (who is a cop) and myself are running around Boise. My Friend asks to stop at Cabellas; which was fine as I wanted to look for a holster for my wife's 40 Cal Tauras Millenium that she CC's.

    I'm OCing my Tauras 24/7 loaded with one in the pipe and my Cop friend has his pistol concealed and he is fully loaded also. We go in and to follow store policy, my wife goes to the teenager at the check your firearms desk as you walk in. Since hers is the only pistol we will be using to find a holster it is the only one that needs to be cleared. They do have a nice clearing barrel at the front.

    My wife drops her mag and clears her weapon and the kid said and I quote "you have to take your mag and ammo out to your vehicle as we don't allow live ammo in Cabellas."

    My first thought was are you stupid you have isles of live ammo.

    My second thought is you have me and my cop friend fully loaded WITH LIVE AMMO and it is not an issue but someone that clears their pistol can't just put their mag in their pocket or purse. What if they walked here?

    To close this little story the manager agreed we that it was a stupid policy but the teenager was just doing what he was told.

    Cabellas didn't have anything mags or holsters for her pistol and the Sportsmans Wearhouse had a better selection and better employess so we will buy from them in the future. I will have to be desperate to go back into Cabellas now.

    CABELLAS = EPIC FAIL

  2. #2
    Regular Member Tacitus42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tacoma,Wa
    Posts
    189

    Policy Regarding OC at Cabelas

    Cabelas:
    Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.

    Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location.
    Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided.
    We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

    If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know

    Thanks again

    Becky
    Lead Associate
    Cabela's Retail Information
    1-800-905-2731
    retail.contactgroup<AT>cabelas.com
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

  3. #3
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus42 View Post
    Cabelas:
    Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.

    Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location.
    Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided.
    We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

    If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know

    Thanks again

    Becky
    Lead Associate
    Cabela's Retail Information
    1-800-905-2731
    retail.contactgroup<AT>cabelas.com
    I'm not saying anything about the policy about carring open or concealed in Cabella's.

    We where following THEIR policy and clearing the wifes weapon before taking it over to the gun counter to try various holsters. The STUPID started when she cleared her pistol and the jerk at that cleared it told her to take her mag out to the car as he said "Cabella's doesn't allow live ammo in the store".

    I had live ammo as did my cop friend. Their was no reason she should have to take the mag outside as we cleared the weapon to try holsters.

    Cabella's policy in reguards to taking your mag/ammo outside is STUPID as others have loaded firearms all over the store.

    NO LIVE AMMO IN THE STORE...PLEASE

  4. #4
    Regular Member Tacitus42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tacoma,Wa
    Posts
    189
    Why would you clear your weapon inside anyway. Clear before you go in and you wont have that problem.
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

  5. #5
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus42 View Post
    Why would you clear your weapon inside anyway. Clear before you go in and you wont have that problem.
    It was clear before she went in, but to follow policy we still have to clear it at the counter before going over to the gun counter to try holsters.

    What is STUPID is the fact they wanted her to take her mag outside even though it wasn't in or near the weapon. In the mean time I not only have a full mag in my pistol but I have one in the camber.

    We were only following the Cabellas policy of clearing any weapon you will be having out. IT WAS CLEAR WHEN WE WENT INTO CABELLAS.

    The policy of not having your mag in your purse or pocket is STUPID as long as it isn't in the weapon there should be no problems. If it is a problem then Cabellas shouldn't let people walk around the store locked and loaded.

    CABELLA'S HAS A FAILED POLICY ON THIS ISSUE.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,096
    How did they know you had a full mag in a purse or pocket?

  7. #7
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    What he said. ^^^^
    If the child tells you live ammo isn't allowed (in a magazine in someone's purse), & you have to take it to your car, if you don't voluntarily go to your car they won't know that you have live ammo (in a magazine in someone's purse).

    Otherwise, deal with the manager, then contact corporate / customer service.
    Usually CS is more helpful than the local people.

    Had a Cabella's clerk demand ID when I refused delivery on an order* (since they had to refund it to the credit card I'd used to pay online), then refused to accept my federally-issued ID, and refused to accept a carry license (photo ID) issued by another state, instead demanding a WI-issued driver's license... which is almost always in the car, not my purse.
    Finally found a manager who had the sense to be able to tell that the face on the federal ID matched the one standing in front of her, & the name on it matched the name on the merchandise order.
    On my way home, I called corp. customer service & had a nice conversation with the lady who answered the phone.

    * I'd found out that my preferred range wouldn't allow that brand of ammo. In the store, I hadn't even touched the box it was shipped in, so there's no way they could claim I'd taken delivery. Tried cancelling it over the phone, but since it had arrived at the store they said I had to do it at the store. They hadn't even called to tell me it was there.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 04-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  8. #8
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    How did they know you had a full mag in a purse or pocket?
    The wife has a concealed carry purse (has a pocket for the pistol) and when she opened it to take it out to show the guy at the desk it was clear he seen the mag in her purse.

    THE MAG WASN'T IN THE PISTOL.

    However mine was in my pistol with a round in the camber and I was good to go, I would walk up and down the "live ammo isles" all I wanted too.

    The wife however couldn't bring her pistol without a mag and had been cleared outside and inside the store if she had her mag in her purse.

    I guess I'm the only one that finds that STUPID.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    The wife has a concealed carry purse (has a pocket for the pistol) and when she opened it to take it out to show the guy at the desk it was clear he seen the mag in her purse.

    THE MAG WASN'T IN THE PISTOL.

    However mine was in my pistol with a round in the camber and I was good to go, I would walk up and down the "live ammo isles" all I wanted too.

    The wife however couldn't bring her pistol without a mag and had been cleared outside and inside the store if she had her mag in her purse.

    I guess I'm the only one that finds that STUPID.
    Poorly trained employee.

    Clearing the gun was the right and proper thing to do.

    Let the manager know that they need to train the employees at the clearing station better.

    Good catch.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    36
    Honestly clearing your gun in a store is a poor move. If you're going holster shopping clear it in your car and take in a cleared weapon.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552
    I shop at the Boise Cabela's frequently, even though their prices aren't that great compared to online (I seem to need a lot of gear "right now"), always open carrying. Probably three out of four times, I don't even get a word from the door jockey(s). However, every so often, someone will ask me something along the lines of, "you aren't checking out holsters or anything are you?" I find this aggravating because it assumes that, even if I were to, I am the type of person who would do something stupid with it. The last time this happened, I quickly walked past the door checker, as he hesitated. I heard the "sir" behind me, turned around, looked him dead in the eye, and said nothing. Painfully slowly, he began the Q&A. I cut him off with, "I plan on it staying right where it's at," and walked away.

    If it happens again, I have resolved to contact management and ask if they also hassle all the other customers in the store, who are very likely (considering their customer demographic) to be CC'ing.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 04-27-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  12. #12
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyoung View Post
    Honestly clearing your gun in a store is a poor move. If you're going holster shopping clear it in your car and take in a cleared weapon.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Evedently your not getting it....

    THE GUN WAS CLEARED AND EMPTY BEFORE GOING INTO THE STORE.

    WHEN YOU GO INTO CABELAS YOU MUST (REPEAT MUST) CLEAR YOU PISTOL AT THE COUNTER AGIAN TO SHOW THE STORE EMPLOYEE THAT THE GUN IS EMPTY IF YOU WANT TO HAVE IT OUT TO HAVE WORK DONE ON IT, FIND A HOLSTER, OR HAVE IT UNHOLSTERED FOR ANY OTHER REASON.

    YOU HAVE TO....repeat for those to dumb to understand HAVE TO CLEAR YOU WEAPON INSIDE THE STORE IF YOU HAVE IT OUT FOR ANY REASON.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Evedently your not getting it....

    THE GUN WAS CLEARED AND EMPTY BEFORE GOING INTO THE STORE.

    WHEN YOU GO INTO CABELAS YOU MUST (REPEAT MUST) CLEAR YOU PISTOL AT THE COUNTER AGIAN TO SHOW THE STORE EMPLOYEE THAT THE GUN IS EMPTY IF YOU WANT TO HAVE IT OUT TO HAVE WORK DONE ON IT, FIND A HOLSTER, OR HAVE IT UNHOLSTERED FOR ANY OTHER REASON.

    YOU HAVE TO....repeat for those to dumb to understand HAVE TO CLEAR YOU WEAPON INSIDE THE STORE IF YOU HAVE IT OUT FOR ANY REASON.
    By stating she dropped the mag, it makes it sound loaded. Try taking the pistol in without a mag and the slide locked back. No need to get pissy.

  14. #14
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyoung View Post
    By stating she dropped the mag, it makes it sound loaded. Try taking the pistol in without a mag and the slide locked back. No need to get pissy.
    Sorry but this is such a stupid policy Cabelas has just like nunmber two.

    1. You can't have live ammo on you even if you have an unloaded gun you are taking over to be serviced....

    2. If you buy a shotgun or another weapon even if you don't buy ammo for it. You must be escorted outside by an employee, however all the while you can have a loaded pistol holsterd on your side even with one in the pipe.

    So you are running around shopping a Cabelas with a loaded pistol but Cabelas is more worried about any unloaded weapons you might have...just seems stupid.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Sorry but this is such a stupid policy Cabelas has just like nunmber two.

    1. You can't have live ammo on you even if you have an unloaded gun you are taking over to be serviced....

    2. If you buy a shotgun or another weapon even if you don't buy ammo for it. You must be escorted outside by an employee, however all the while you can have a loaded pistol holsterd on your side even with one in the pipe.

    So you are running around shopping a Cabelas with a loaded pistol but Cabelas is more worried about any unloaded weapons you might have...just seems stupid.
    Doc, deep breaths man.

    1. CLEARLY I understand that the gun was cleared before entering the store since your first post. Still, I agree 100% with Cabela's policy on checking to be sure the gun is properly cleared in the discharge tube at the entrance BY A PROPERLY TRAINED EMPLOYEE. Too many people handle a weapon, forget which is which, make assumptions, etc. It's just good safety procedure when you cross over to another zone. No different than going to a match and showing clear then dropping the hammer at the range while pointed in a safe direction.

    I confess that I have stepped to the line in an IDPA match drawn my "unloaded" weapon, loaded a mag and then (to my chagrin) worked the slide and had a cartridge eject. I had gone to the match intending to shoot an M&P but then realized I only had two mags so I decided to use my regular carry for which I was carrying 4 mags. My mistake, can't blame anyone else.

    2. The part of your story that I think needs to be clarified is the following:

    ...that Cabela's truly has this "no ammo in your pocket after clearing a firearm" policy. You say you talked to a manager yet I have never encountered this policy in the past. I have cleared several times while carrying a second firearm openly, usually of the same caliber. A couple of times I was buying holsters, another time or two I was carrying cleared long guns for scope fittings. I have never been asked about ammo or been told to secure a loaded mag in my car. Either your employee was improperly trained OR the ones I have met in the past were.

  16. #16
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    Doc, deep breaths man.

    1. CLEARLY I understand that the gun was cleared before entering the store since your first post. Still, I agree 100% with Cabela's policy on checking to be sure the gun is properly cleared in the discharge tube at the entrance BY A PROPERLY TRAINED EMPLOYEE. Too many people handle a weapon, forget which is which, make assumptions, etc. It's just good safety procedure when you cross over to another zone. No different than going to a match and showing clear then dropping the hammer at the range while pointed in a safe direction.

    I confess that I have stepped to the line in an IDPA match drawn my "unloaded" weapon, loaded a mag and then (to my chagrin) worked the slide and had a cartridge eject. I had gone to the match intending to shoot an M&P but then realized I only had two mags so I decided to use my regular carry for which I was carrying 4 mags. My mistake, can't blame anyone else.

    2. The part of your story that I think needs to be clarified is the following:

    ...that Cabela's truly has this "no ammo in your pocket after clearing a firearm" policy. You say you talked to a manager yet I have never encountered this policy in the past. I have cleared several times while carrying a second firearm openly, usually of the same caliber. A couple of times I was buying holsters, another time or two I was carrying cleared long guns for scope fittings. I have never been asked about ammo or been told to secure a loaded mag in my car. Either your employee was improperly trained OR the ones I have met in the past were.
    I agree it is just some people just didn't get that the pistol was cleared before entering and inside the store per their policy. I don't disagree with their policy to show an employee the pistol is clear and my wife cheerfully did it.

    The problem started when the 18 y/o employee told her she had to take her mag (which was in her purse) outside. Mind you I'm armed (OCing) and my Cop friend was armed concealed. She left to the vehicle and came back in....we shopped and didn't find what we wanted. The wife was upset about having to take her mag outside so on the way out I talked to the manager that backed up the teenager clearing weapons. We agreed the store policy was stupid and we left.

    I have never encountered that before and my wife thinks that it was just because she is a female that this happened. I couldn't disagree with her, I can however shop at the sportsmans warehouse instead.

    Cabella's is fun but I won't be treated like that and if someone treats my wife like that then I treat it as the same. They have nothing I can't get some place else and probably cheaper.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    36
    I'm only guessing that they asked you to put the magazine in the car so it would not be put back in the pistol. The pistol you're carrying wont be out of its holster. Try taking your carry gun out and see how fast you're bounced on out.

  18. #18
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyoung View Post
    I'm only guessing that they asked you to put the magazine in the car so it would not be put back in the pistol. The pistol you're carrying wont be out of its holster. Try taking your carry gun out and see how fast you're bounced on out.
    Two problems with this....


    My wife wouldn't have shown the guy at the front her weapon was cleared if she was going to reload it...your forgetting criminals don't follow rules even stupid ones but we did...(WE ARE NOT CRIMINALS). Assuming someone that is with two other people MIGHT reload their weapon in the store is not saying much for their policy when they are suppost to support the 2A and they allow people to carry LOADED firearms in the store.

    I don't think I will be returning to Cabellas as there are cheaper places to shop.

    You assumption about "Try taking your caryy gun out in the store" is stupid as we would NEVER do that unless it was needed for defense.

  19. #19
    Regular Member clarkebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    136

    clearing clerk berating

    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    I shop at the Boise Cabela's frequently, even though their prices aren't that great compared to online (I seem to need a lot of gear "right now"), always open carrying. Probably three out of four times, I don't even get a word from the door jockey(s). However, every so often, someone will ask me something along the lines of, "you aren't checking out holsters or anything are you?" I find this aggravating because it assumes that, even if I were to, I am the type of person who would do something stupid with it. The last time this happened, I quickly walked past the door checker, as he hesitated. I heard the "sir" behind me, turned around, looked him dead in the eye, and said nothing. Painfully slowly, he began the Q&A. I cut him off with, "I plan on it staying right where it's at," and walked away.

    If it happens again, I have resolved to contact management and ask if they also hassle all the other customers in the store, who are very likely (considering their customer demographic) to be CC'ing.
    ManinBlack,
    I just want you to know that you are not alone in your anger at the way Cabelas is treating their openly carrying customers at the door or in the store. As it is likely that I will not be returning to the Boise cabelas for some time (I got a job with Intel in Phoenix) please tell the clerk that if they continue that berating they will lose customers, on my behalf :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •