Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Officer Fires Gun In Wal-Mart Parking Lot

Police Officer Fires Gun In Wal-Mart Parking Lot

http://www.wcyb.com/news/30936538/detail.html

Police Officer Fires Gun In Wal-Mart Parking Lot

Lebanon, VA Officer Chases Suspect
    POSTED: 6:59 am EDT April 22, 2012

RUSSELL CO., Va. -- A police officer fires his gun in a Wal-Mart parking lot while trying to stop a fleeing fugitive.

News Five spoke with Lebanon Police Chief Mark Mitchell.

Chief Mitchell tells us the incident happened while officers were responding to a call about a person slumped over the wheel of their car in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

We're told the officer was talking with the suspect, Brian Nunley when he apparently sped away.

Chief Mitchell says that's when the officer fired his gun, hitting Nunley's tire.

Police were able to catch up with the suspect less than two miles down the road, when Nunley crashed his car.

Officers are still investigating.

We're told several charges are pending.

This smells much like the Patricia Cook Culpeper shooting.... an officer shooting at a vehicle leaving an area, with no outward signs the individual was a direct threat to the officer or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    This smells much like the Patricia Cook Culpeper shooting.... an officer shooting at a vehicle leaving an area, with no outward signs the individual was a direct threat to the officer or anyone else.
    Atleast he didn't empty his mag into the driver and just shot the tire through.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    At least he was shooting at the tire.
    What surprises me is that they have a Walmart in Russell county. That's truly Gods Country!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    <snip>
    Or just a poor shot.

He hit the tire. No telling where he was aiming

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Enthusiast View Post
    Or just a poor shot.
    There aren't any poor shots in Russell!
    Baby shower gifts usually include a case of 22LR's to tide the kid over until he can walk and carry a real gun.

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    He hit the tire. No telling where he was aiming

Roscoe
    My thoughts exactly!

My thoughts exactly!
    Just to give an idea....my Great, Great to the 10 power uncle Abraham, shot a bear from his front porch in Solomons Hollow. It took 6 weeks to hike to it before they could pack it out! He said he shot it between the eyes because he wasn't sure he could hit the left one as the wind in Kentucky was different than it was on his porch.

Just saying,,,,,

Just to give an idea....my Great, Great to the 10 power uncle Abraham, shot a bear from his front porch in Solomons Hollow. It took 6 weeks to hike to it before they could pack it out! He said he shot it between the eyes because he wasn't sure he could hit the left one as the wind in Kentucky was different than it was on his porch.

Just saying,,,,,
    So... do you know 'for sure' that the officer is a local, with those kind of shooting skills?

I'd also be curious to know if the department has a policy on when an officer can fire their weapon... and if all those conditions were met in this circumstance. I'd be willing to be, not.

Just sayin'.... lol

Edit: minor spellin fix
    Last edited by Blk97F150; 04-23-2012 at 12:43 PM.

He said he shot it between the eyes because he wasn't sure he could hit the left one as the wind in Kentucky was different than it was on his porch.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

So... do you know 'for sure' that the officer is a local, with those kind of shooting skills?

Just sayin'.... lol

Edit: minor spellin fix
    Last time I was there, immigrants that stayed more than 3 days were given a pair of Nike's, a bible and a 15 minute head start.
    Last edited by peter nap; 04-23-2012 at 12:49 PM.

I can not believe that it's departmental policy to shoot at anything in a public place that does not involve a fleeing felon and even then with great care. Here, it appears the officer just fired because he was too fat to give foot chase or too slow to realize he could get the license plate (which I would HOPE he'd do at the initial encounter before questioning anyone) and have the guy picked up later.

I hope they put him on desk duty and make him take a test on policy. Oh, and give him a Barney Fife (one bullet which he keeps in his shirt pocket).
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Last time I was there, immigrants that stayed more than 3 days were given a pair of Nike's, a bible and a 15 minute head start.
    Too funny...

I think I want to move there now!!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Immigrants = persons whose local linage and cabin does not go back at least 75 years. Others are usually gone before sunset the first day.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post
    I can not believe that it's departmental policy to shoot at anything in a public place that does not involve a fleeing felon and even then with great care. Here, it appears the officer just fired because he was too fat to give foot chase or too slow to realize he could get the license plate (which I would HOPE he'd do at the initial encounter before questioning anyone) and have the guy picked up later.

I hope they put him on desk duty and make him take a test on policy. Oh, and give him a Barney Fife (one bullet which he keeps in his shirt pocket).
    Don't know.... but I just sent them a FOIA request on what their official policy is regarding officers discharging a weapon.

At least he was shooting at the tire.....
    That's his story and he is gunna stick to it.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Atleast he didn't empty his mag into the driver and just shot the tire through.
    No one's accusing the cops of having good aim :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFWnQJBqhJw

trying to stop a fleeing fugitive...
    officers were responding to a call about a person slumped over the wheel of their car in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
    ...the officer was talking with the suspect, Brian Nunley when he apparently sped away...
    We're told several charges are pending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150
    an officer shooting at a vehicle leaving an area, with no outward signs the individual was a direct threat to the officer or anyone else.
    I'm sure the news isn't giving the whole story.
    What did the (sleepy? ill?) driver do to become a "suspect"?
    Not wanting to talk with police isn't a crime, & certainly isn't reason for using deadly force.
    And what was behind the car? What if the bullet had missed, skipped on the blacktop?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I'm sure the news isn't giving the whole story.
    What did the (sleepy? ill?) driver do to become a "suspect"?
    Not wanting to talk with police isn't a crime, & certainly isn't reason for using deadly force.
    And what was behind the car? What if the bullet had missed, skipped on the blacktop?
    Good questions.... unfortunately I don't know the answers. Maybe after they respond to my FOIA regarding department policy I'll ask them your questions too.

Edit: Btw, I haven't kept current with your situation.... but I hope thats all working out for the best for you.
    Last edited by Blk97F150; 04-23-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Good questions.... unfortunately I don't know the answers. Maybe after they respond to my FOIA regarding department policy I'll ask them your questions too.

Edit: Btw, I haven't kept current with your situation.... but I hope thats all working out for the best for you.
    You're probably not going to get the policy BLK. They usually use the Security exemption. I'm going to try FOIA'ing the index pages sometime.

You're probably not going to get the policy BLK. They usually use the Security exemption. I'm going to try FOIA'ing the index pages sometime.
    I know. Truthfully I don't expect them to give it to me, I fully expect excuses and 'run around'..... but I wanted to ask anyway, and make them wonder 'who is this guy and why does he want this information?'.... LOL!

Although, the Culpeper police department did release their deadly force policy after the Patricia Cook shooting (not to me.. but a news organization got a hold of it)... so all hope isn't lost.

What surprises me is that they have a Walmart in Russell county. That's truly Gods Country![/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, ther is one in Buchanan County too.

Founder's Club Member
    Don't know.... but I just sent them a FOIA request on what their official policy is regarding officers discharging a weapon.
    Please do post the reply(ies), including any evasions or violations of the FOI statute.

Discharging a handgun like that is lethal force. One might initially think that discharging at a tire is not lethal force, but what if the shot missed and ricocheted into a shopper or someone sitting in a car? People have been killed by such ricochets.

Unless an exception from Tennessee vs Garner applied--for example a fleeing felon dangerous to the community--then I can see no justification for shooting a tire. And, the same logic about warning shots can be applied: if the driver was a fleeing felon dangerous to the community, why was the cop taking a chance shooting a tire instead of shooting the driver? A felon who could escape up the road, jump out on foot, and run into a house to seize a hostage, etc.?

Love the stories about the wind in Kentucky and the 15 minutes head start.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

My two cents!

First off, the facts of the incident are without any real detail. If the person wasn't being detained in anyway, he would have been well within his rights to drive off.

Secondly,what exactly was this man suspect of? (Being dead and slouched over in a car? sounds dangerous!) If he was truely was about to be detained for whatever reason, I would have little problem with a police officer exercising descretion with shooting his tires to prevent a life endangering pursuit.(This may be assuming too much on my part, but as long as there is no innocent bystanders(not likely in a walmart parking lot) I think its a good move.) Again, not likely in this case.

The officer better of had something on him other than, " I was trying to talk to him, and he just drove off."
    Last edited by ryan7068; 04-23-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast