• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Officer Fires Gun In Wal-Mart Parking Lot

Blk97F150

http://www.wcyb.com/news/30936538/detail.html

Police Officer Fires Gun In Wal-Mart Parking Lot

Lebanon, VA Officer Chases Suspect
POSTED: 6:59 am EDT April 22, 2012

RUSSELL CO., Va. -- A police officer fires his gun in a Wal-Mart parking lot while trying to stop a fleeing fugitive.

News Five spoke with Lebanon Police Chief Mark Mitchell.

Chief Mitchell tells us the incident happened while officers were responding to a call about a person slumped over the wheel of their car in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

We're told the officer was talking with the suspect, Brian Nunley when he apparently sped away.

Chief Mitchell says that's when the officer fired his gun, hitting Nunley's tire.

Police were able to catch up with the suspect less than two miles down the road, when Nunley crashed his car.

Officers are still investigating.

We're told several charges are pending.

Blk97F150

This smells much like the Patricia Cook Culpeper shooting.... an officer shooting at a vehicle leaving an area, with no outward signs the individual was a direct threat to the officer or anyone else.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This smells much like the Patricia Cook Culpeper shooting.... an officer shooting at a vehicle leaving an area, with no outward signs the individual was a direct threat to the officer or anyone else.

At least he was shooting at the tire.
What surprises me is that they have a Walmart in Russell county. That's truly Gods Country!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My thoughts exactly!

Just to give an idea....my Great, Great to the 10 power uncle Abraham, shot a bear from his front porch in Solomons Hollow. It took 6 weeks to hike to it before they could pack it out! He said he shot it between the eyes because he wasn't sure he could hit the left one as the wind in Kentucky was different than it was on his porch.

Just saying,,,,,:uhoh:

Blk97F150

Just to give an idea....my Great, Great to the 10 power uncle Abraham, shot a bear from his front porch in Solomons Hollow. It took 6 weeks to hike to it before they could pack it out! He said he shot it between the eyes because he wasn't sure he could hit the left one as the wind in Kentucky was different than it was on his porch.

Just saying,,,,,:uhoh:

So... do you know 'for sure' that the officer is a local, with those kind of shooting skills? :confused:

I'd also be curious to know if the department has a policy on when an officer can fire their weapon... and if all those conditions were met in this circumstance. I'd be willing to be, not.

Just sayin'.... lol

Edit: minor spellin fix

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So... do you know 'for sure' that the officer is a local, with those kind of shooting skills? :confused:

Just sayin'.... lol

Edit: minor spellin fix

Last time I was there, immigrants that stayed more than 3 days were given a pair of Nike's, a bible and a 15 minute head start.

Last edited:

sawah

I can not believe that it's departmental policy to shoot at anything in a public place that does not involve a fleeing felon and even then with great care. Here, it appears the officer just fired because he was too fat to give foot chase or too slow to realize he could get the license plate (which I would HOPE he'd do at the initial encounter before questioning anyone) and have the guy picked up later.

I hope they put him on desk duty and make him take a test on policy. Oh, and give him a Barney Fife (one bullet which he keeps in his shirt pocket).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last time I was there, immigrants that stayed more than 3 days were given a pair of Nike's, a bible and a 15 minute head start.

Immigrants = persons whose local linage and cabin does not go back at least 75 years. Others are usually gone before sunset the first day.

Blk97F150

I can not believe that it's departmental policy to shoot at anything in a public place that does not involve a fleeing felon and even then with great care. Here, it appears the officer just fired because he was too fat to give foot chase or too slow to realize he could get the license plate (which I would HOPE he'd do at the initial encounter before questioning anyone) and have the guy picked up later.

I hope they put him on desk duty and make him take a test on policy. Oh, and give him a Barney Fife (one bullet which he keeps in his shirt pocket).

Don't know.... but I just sent them a FOIA request on what their official policy is regarding officers discharging a weapon. :uhoh:

MKEgal

trying to stop a fleeing fugitive...
officers were responding to a call about a person slumped over the wheel of their car in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
...the officer was talking with the suspect, Brian Nunley when he apparently sped away...
We're told several charges are pending.
Blk97F150 said:
an officer shooting at a vehicle leaving an area, with no outward signs the individual was a direct threat to the officer or anyone else.
I'm sure the news isn't giving the whole story.
What did the (sleepy? ill?) driver do to become a "suspect"?
Not wanting to talk with police isn't a crime, & certainly isn't reason for using deadly force.
And what was behind the car? What if the bullet had missed, skipped on the blacktop?

Blk97F150

I'm sure the news isn't giving the whole story.
What did the (sleepy? ill?) driver do to become a "suspect"?
Not wanting to talk with police isn't a crime, & certainly isn't reason for using deadly force.
And what was behind the car? What if the bullet had missed, skipped on the blacktop?

Good questions.... unfortunately I don't know the answers. Maybe after they respond to my FOIA regarding department policy I'll ask them your questions too. ;)

Edit: Btw, I haven't kept current with your situation.... but I hope thats all working out for the best for you.

Last edited: