• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First open carry tonight!

.40CLTlocal

So after a few days to work up my courage, my wife needed me to run by the store after work for a few things. I figured that this was the best time as any. I was also still in my dress clothes which gave me a little extra boost of confidence. I went the Lowes food in down town Mint Hill. I went in and tried to just be myself. Dsipite being more crowded than I expected, I don't think that I even got a second glance. I paid and left with a awesome sense of accomplishment. Looking forward to my next time already.

Last edited:

eamelhorn

what I did was left my pistol in the car and left my holster on but to where people could see it but not know it was empty, after a few trips like this to my everyday stops like for gas, it didnt take long for me to leave it in the holster. Most people dont notice but the ones that have have not said a word.

c1ph3r88

I was the same way when I first started carrying. I finally worked up the courage, put my .40 XD on my hip, and off to Wal Mart I went. I have been carrying for about a month or so now and *knock on wood* haven't had any major problems. I had one gentlemen ask me while I was fishing why I had it. That was about it.

Ricky

Congrat's on your first carry glad it went well. Went to Walmart Sunday, it was packed and never got so much as a glance from anyone that I noticed. Been carrying so much I don't even look at people anymore other than just a general scan of the immediate area around me.... l

.40CLTlocal

what I did was left my pistol in the car and left my holster on but to where people could see it but not know it was empty, after a few trips like this to my everyday stops like for gas, it didnt take long for me to leave it in the holster. Most people dont notice but the ones that have have not said a word.

Yea for the last week I have had it on my hip around the house just to get used to it there. I really like the blackhack holster that I have for it. Walmart is my next stop this weekend.

Ricky

A lil off subject but I ordered a TRUE gun belt from Gunner's Alley (you can Google it) and the belts are stiff and really take the sag or flop out of your holster. Around $85-100 but well worth the money.Give them a call great customer service. Best money spent other than my pistol, Serpa holster.....Its keep you from constantly feeling like you have to adjust your pistol or pull up your belt......
Yea for the last week I have had it on my hip around the house just to get used to it there. I really like the blackhack holster that I have for it. Walmart is my next stop this weekend.

.40CLTlocal

A lil off subject but I ordered a TRUE gun belt from Gunner's Alley (you can Google it) and the belts are stiff and really take the sag or flop out of your holster. Around $85-100 but well worth the money.Give them a call great customer service. Best money spent other than my pistol, Serpa holster.....Its keep you from constantly feeling like you have to adjust your pistol or pull up your belt......

That has been a big issue with my shorts. Dress belt works great. I think its because i wear it tigher and its wider. I'll have to look into that thanks.

eamelhorn

I need a good belt, I have been doing some "sagging" and not in the younger crowd sort of way, def gonna look into one of those belts. I have a Judge and its a bit heavy. I like it when im out and about on my own property.

Ricky

http://www.gunnersalley.com/c=RkHFJ...ts.cgis?catalog=DEFAULT&keywords=belt&x=0&y=0FYI the 1 1/2 wide will fit jeans, casual slacks, shorts etc anything wider and you will have trouble getting it through the belt loops. Some manufactures may recommend a "stiffner" but you want need that unless you get into the 50ish and big man size belts. It's actually a piece sown into the back of the belt, again not needed. Gunnery's Alley has a good sizing chart on their page....Sorry, didn't mean to turn this thread into an advertisement but I felt it important to have the right equipment or best you can when carrying. On less thing to be worrying about, is my gun falling out, or pants hanging off me etc..............

cricketdad

I've been wearing one of Wild Bill's rigs for 10 plus years. Check him out.
http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/wildbill/shop/

muccione

I need a good belt, I have been doing some "sagging" and not in the younger crowd sort of way, def gonna look into one of those belts. I have a Judge and its a bit heavy. I like it when im out and about on my own property.

Walmart sells a "dickies" work belt that I use. Works great and very affordable.

chiefjason

I've got a nylon 5.11 trainer belt that I'm happy with. My wife has a Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer, with stiffener, that she really likes. I thread the nylon belt backwards compared to a leather belt because of the velcro. That takes some getting used to.

c1ph3r88

Walmart sells a "dickies" work belt that I use. Works great and very affordable.

I believe I know which belt you are talking about. I have a heavy leather belt made by Dickies that is far too big now and I keep punching holes in it because it is excellent for carrying. I was thinking about getting one of the black carbon fiber belts though...