• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just handed in papers one week ago today... worried about wait time...

rt1983

I took the class 4/14/2012, filed all necessary papers on Monday the 16th. I read on these forums that you should file for an eligibilty certificate first to speed the process up a little bit, and I was excited to do so and be able to actually shop for a pistol as well, but was convinced otherwise by the guys at DPS in middletown stating that I would just be paying twice. Wish I had done it anyway and spent the extra case. I read the horror stories about people waiting forever (>8 weeks) and I shudder to think how long I will actually wait. In Newington, they give you the application and you fill it out, etc, on the very first page it states that you will have to wait 10 weeks for your Temp Permit. So I was going to get the e. Cert just to speed things up, and stupid me I was convinced like I said before, not to. Well I handed in the App on that monday and the woman in records says, are you sitting?, 16 WEEKS!!!!! My heart sunk and I just walked out of there with my head down.
I have been going to Hoffman's here and there just to look at pistols, and it saddens me to think I have to wait 4 months. I don't even want to go in there anymore. All I hoped to do is get a target pistol to practice shooting with over the summer, I probably will not even be able to shoot until August or October.

Anyway I love what this group stands for and hope I can help in some way along the way.

Thanks for reading and thanks for fighting for our rights,

RT

Rich B

Forget everything else you have been told. None of it means anything.

They have 5 days to submit your fingerprints to SPBI. There is currently no backlog at SPBI. They have one week after they get the FBI results back from SPBI.

Keep up on the dates (Email us at info [at] ctcarry.com and we will help you with this). If any of these time frames are missed, immediately file an appeal.

IH8SPM

Forget everything else you have been told. None of it means anything.

They have 5 days to submit your fingerprints to SPBI. There is currently no backlog at SPBI. They have one week after they get the FBI results back from SPBI.

Keep up on the dates (Email us at info [at] ctcarry.com and we will help you with this). If any of these time frames are missed, immediately file an appeal.

Welcome new member. You are not alone. Rich has already provided the info you need to ensure you get your permit ASAP. In a few short minutes or hours you will have more supporting info. By next week you should have some info that from experience helps ensure you don't get bs'd.

rt1983

I actually had printed tons of info I found on this very website, which is awesome and is what caused me to want the ECERT in the first place, so I went to DPS and had them fingerprint me and everything, I was just shocked when Newington PD said 16weeks. Incredible, So what do you suggest I do now, its only been a week, but I also do not want to be waiting 16 weeks when the statute says 8 weeks.

BTW the people at DPS were very nice and very helpful, the guy that fingerprinted me said the towns basically charge and do whatever they want and take as long as they want. Last thing I want is to piss someone off and then they claim they lost my papers.

If anyone is interested, the town charges $70 for application ( I think this one was for Treasurer, can'r remember), then $50 for Background, I think, the $16.50 for Treasurer.
The woman at Newington PD Records was very surprised that I had every paper filled out correctly and notarized, copies of PAsspport, License, NRA Cert, etc. I told her I was hoping to help them out and speed it up, lol.

rt1983

Thanks Rich, I have been following lots of threads here for a while and find it rediculous how they basically make up their own rules as they see fit. Thanks for your help. I will keep you guys all updated.

brk913

You did the right thing by not getting the EC, it's a waste of time and money. Just FYI Newington might be telling you 16 weeks but it will not take that long. They are not as fast as Windsor by any means but are issuing well under 8 weeks. Please follow Rich's advice and watch your time frames, within 5 days of your application submission Newington should have forwarded your info for the state and federal background checks. You have every right to call Newington PD and ask for the date your info was submitted for this. If it is outside the 5 days provided by statute file an appeal, if they forwarded the info hang tight for about 7-10 days and then contact the SPBI to see if they received and forwarded your background check back to Newington. Once they have Newington has 7 days to issue your temp (or deny you). if any of the time frames are violated file your appeal immediately. Contact Rich at ctcarry.com if you need personlized help, he is our biggest and most vocal advocate in the state helping people through this mess...

rt1983

So, called the DPS and got nowhere, at least that guy agreed they have 8 weeks to hear from local PD, meaning we the customers have 8 weeks to hear from them. Anyway didn't get his name but will call back later.
Then called local pd and the woman was extremely polite, extremely helpful with everything and I think she is actually a high school friend of mine's mom. She said everything was sent out the day I filed. So far so good, I am on day 8 now lol

Filed permit at local pd 4-16-12
PD sent out papers on 4-16-12

Also the local pd woman said the backup is at the state end, waiting to hear back from them, not at the local level.

Last edited:

IH8SPM

There is no backlog at the state. Speak to someone in records at dips they will tell you when it was done and sent. Also contact the FBI.

rt1983

Called a bunch of different numbers so far and spoke with a bunch of different people....
Answers ranged from it takes a while, to it takes 16 weeks, this is all from dps. The only people I have not yet been in touch with is the records dept it went to voicemail, but I don't know why criminal records dept would know, please help me on what to ask them? I have been asking everyone else about m fingerprints and if they were processed only to hear like 5 different answers

Edit: the last person I spoke to at dPs was on fingerprint unit and told me 16 weeks after I told her which town.... Interesting

Last edited:

brk913

Don't ask anyone at DPS to give you info on the time frames that are clearly spelled out in CGS 29-29, all you want to know from the DPS (and you should be contacting SPBI) is the date they received the results of your national background check and the date they forwarded them back to the town. Since you have a "friend" in Newington you should call her again in about a week and ask if Newington has received the results back from the state. The date Newington gets them back is the start of the 7 days to issue or deny, if they break the 7 days file an appeal....

As others have written, there is no more backlog at the state level and I reiterate that some towns, like Windsor, issue permits in 4-14 days.

BFDMikeCT

KI applied the 2nd or 3rd week in April and received my town temp last week. Went to troop g in Bridgeport same day and left there an hour and a half later with my permanent one. I don't know if mine went quicker as I had a permit before and let it lapse by accident 2 years ago and just applied again. I live in Bridgeport.

Last edited:

rt1983

To clarify, all those times I called dps, not once did I ask how long it takes. What I asked was if my fingerprints and background check had been received yet, and sent back to NPD. The answers I received back were the generic, well it takes this long, blah blah and not once die any of the differen. People give me the same answer/ timeframe. Wht should I be asking?

Rich B

To clarify, all those times I called dps, not once did I ask how long it takes. What I asked was if my fingerprints and background check had been received yet, and sent back to NPD. The answers I received back were the generic, well it takes this long, blah blah and not once die any of the differen. People give me the same answer/ timeframe. Wht should I be asking?

This is being worked on.

BFDMikeCT

I am a Bridgeport firefighter. They had to hold my prints for a week before they sent them cause I wrote the wrong amount on the check cause the fee was changing and I didn't know it hadn't yet. The lady at the PD is top notch IMO very helpful and very nice.

IH8SPM

I am a Bridgeport firefighter. They had to hold my prints for a week before they sent them cause I wrote the wrong amount on the check cause the fee was changing and I didn't know it hadn't yet. The lady at the PD is top notch IMO very helpful and very nice.

That explains that.

rt1983

Called FBI they said no info until 4 weeks, then called America again in fingerprints at dps and she said there is a backlog, then I told her I had my prints done in her office, filed papers with Npd same day and then Npd sent them same day to dps, she said well, there is a backlog it could take 14 weeks like I said, blah blah... Then made an excuse that it's a whole process, and it takes time, they have to mail it to FBI then FBI processes and mails back, then they have to do their process and it takes a long time. Then tells me if newington does not send me anything by 14 weeks then they have to call the DPS and find out why.

What the hell is going on with these people? *She told me 16 weeks just 2-3 days ago, now 14 weeks. They can't even get their story straight.

brk913

And on top of it they don't mail anything to the FBI, everything is sent and returned electronically and the turnaround time is usually less than 48 hours and in most cases 24 hours....however, do yourself a favor and take a deep breath, I assure you Newington is one of the better towns and your only into this 11 days. You will get your permit just be patient. You can keep checking with your contact in Newington, once they get the info back from DPS they must issue or deny in 7 days. Should Newington exceed the time limit you should file an appeal, know that Rich is hard at work pushing the DPS to get their butts in gear on these background checks and jump onto ctcarry.com and make a donation to the cause, I am going to be come a monthly sponsor of CT Carry, I can't donate a lot but $5 or $10 a month won't kill me, if more people do that CT Carry will have the funding to really make a difference here in CT, they have already done more than most other CT Gun Clubs and Groups....

rt1983

And on top of it they don't mail anything to the FBI, everything is sent and returned electronically and the turnaround time is usually less than 48 hours and in most cases 24 hours....however, do yourself a favor and take a deep breath, I assure you Newington is one of the better towns and your only into this 11 days. You will get your permit just be patient. You can keep checking with your contact in Newington, once they get the info back from DPS they must issue or deny in 7 days. Should Newington exceed the time limit you should file an appeal, know that Rich is hard at work pushing the DPS to get their butts in gear on these background checks and jump onto ctcarry.com and make a donation to the cause, I am going to be come a monthly sponsor of CT Carry, I can't donate a lot but $5 or $10 a month won't kill me, if more people do that CT Carry will have the funding to really make a difference here in CT, they have already done more than most other CT Gun Clubs and Groups....

I am no hurry to get it, it would be nice to have it sooner than later of course, but my purpose is to help in obtaining information to speed up the process for everyone. Today I called DPS and was forwarded to SPBI from Fingerprints, they stated that my papers were completed on April 16th, which is really the day they were received, so I asked her to make sure and she said, they were received the 17th. So I asked if they were sent in to the FBI, she did not know but assumed so.

Now here is the fun part, the woman that forwarded me was the woman that keeps saying 16 week or 14 week backlog, the woman at SPBI that I spoke to said specifically, " There is no backup, or backlog at all at this time, like the 14 weeks there was before." I said, "Oh that's interesting." She then went on to say I should call back in a few..... days, so I said thank you and I would call back next week. During our conversation when she thought the papers were done on the 16th she told me to call the NPD right away and find out why I had not heard back. But when she realized they really received it that day, she said to just wait a few days and call back. This person was the first one that actually asked my name and date of birth, no one at all has even asked me so much as the first letter of my last name. Rediculous!!!!

Also I told Rich I can't afford to help with the cause as far as monetary help, but as soon as I can I will be a monthly contributor and I hope to help him with other work and others on this site as well.

Last edited: