• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assistance/Question

RFrampton

This is off the wall and not very OC related, but I figured you guys would know more than me. My ex wife is facing some unfounded criminal charges and I was wondering if anyone in the Colorado Springs/Denver area could recommend a good attorney that I could have her call?

I appreciate it guys. I'm not one who normally likes the ex, but she's getting a bum deal this time.

Logan 5

There are a few. David Lane is really good. But like all lawyers, he's only as good as you pay him.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
I am unclear what sort of criminal charge you are talking about.
Is it a felony, or misdemeanor?
Does the crime involve violence?
And you said "getting a bum rap this time."
This time? Does that suggest a record of criminal behavior?

All those things would be relevant to an attorney.
If she has priors, who did she rely upon in the past?
Did she hire an attorney or hang her fate on a court appointed lawyer?

The type of lawyer you choose might well be influenced by what sort of criminal charge is involved.
Some lawyers have an emphasis in specific areas of criminal defense. It might be helpful to choose one who specializes in the specific sort of criminal defense you need for your gf's particular issue.

Finally, how much money you can spend on an attorney is another obvious issue. David Lane is a terrific attorney. He is also among the highest price because he tends to get the best results. I'd want him next to me at the defense table if the criminal charge was very serious and I wanted the best to protect my liberty. If the charge were something like shoplifting or simple assault, he might be more lawyer than I'd really need.

Point being, a recommendation aint very easy based on the information provided.

Analyze the situation, determine what you can afford for an attorney, figure the odds of a conviction and the impact of that on her future life, and whether there is an attorney in your area who specializes in that specific type of criminal defense.

Best of luck, and hope things work out for ya'll.
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate the call for advise and recommendation of assistance in finding a suitable attorney - there are a lot of variables.

As convictions can potentially impact one's ability to own, possess or carry firearms, this thread will remain open for now.

Bellum_Intus

Appreciate the call for advise and recommendation of assistance in finding a suitable attorney - there are a lot of variables.

As convictions can potentially impact one's ability to own, possess or carry firearms, this thread will remain open for now.

Edit: Whoops, though I was quoting the OP, at any rate.. read on =)

Sarah above is a good start, as well as Phil Dubois in Colorado Springs. Phil's been my legal counsel for some time (advisory, etc) and is pretty amazing, he also works in the same office as Sarah.

My name is Robert Butler, let Phil know I referred you, he'll either hang up on you or laugh, all I ever seem to do is ask him 2A questions.. =)

--Rob

Last edited:

Logan 5

So I can call this Phil guy and ask him 2A questions, and won't whine about it? Do you have ANY idea how spineless a lot of lawyers are in Colorado? Finding a good one that stands up in the best interests of his/her client is about as rare as an honest politician. You do realize that, right?

Bellum_Intus

So I can call this Phil guy and ask him 2A questions, and won't whine about it? Do you have ANY idea how spineless a lot of lawyers are in Colorado? Finding a good one that stands up in the best interests of his/her client is about as rare as an honest politician. You do realize that, right?

If you are calling him to ask questions and not really 'retain' him, he may or may not answer.. However, HE IS one of the good ones, he defended Phil Zimmermann (and won) in a case against him re: distribution of cryptographic programs (PZ is the founder of PGP) .. It's all on the web, look it up =)

I have him on retainer and yes, he answers the vast majority of my 2A questions honestly and accurately.

--Rob