• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not in VA, bu thought you all might like to see this. 16 OCers vs Police.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't care where it was.

Damn good job Guys and a big pat on the back for the Manager.

kcgunfan

The best part was when one officer asked the other "Which one is armed?" And the second replied "I think they all are." They were flummoxed trying to figure out whom to interview.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

markand

Great job from the manager. I suspect the outcome would have been different but for the manager's support. Wish the owner of Tony's had been as supportive.

(FYI, here's the Tony's 7 story, happened January 13, 2007: http://www.vcdl.org/Tonys/mcpd.html )

1245A Defender

well,,,

Congrats on a job well done by everybody except the cops.

stay safe.

especially the manager,,, he was the tie breaker!!! kudos...

the mistake I note,, was the guy going with the cops, away from the group.
cops always want to get you away,,, alone, to apply their pressure. glad he was strong, he didnt cave in!
nobody gave in, nobody IDd..

the cops ultimatly proved what we already know... They are,,,, many things, things that are bad, bad anti rights bullies...

Sheriff

Lack of training.

Then their asking the manager to back them up, it's tough being humiliated in a restaurant full of people.

kcgunfan

I'm reading the youtube comments now. Sounds like a lot of anonymous morons don't particularly like my son acting like a 3 year old boy. There was a reason we were at Steak and Shake and not Ruth Chris. It was an interesting night, but not too interesting. It was great how our waitress just kept on handing us food when the police where there, and she got a really nice tip that night.

paramedic70002

Those LEOs were thinking about their careers, just a little. "Dispatch, send more cars, social services, supervisor, we've got several armed people eating dinner here with their kids!" "Supervisor to cop, call my cell ASAP."

I wonder who called 911, and how they felt seeing all that happen, and the LEOs leave the diners to their dinner.

You'd think by now every LEO in America would have been told to leave legal OCers alone once they see there's no trouble.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Those LEOs were thinking about their careers, just a little. "Dispatch, send more cars, social services, supervisor, we've got several armed people eating dinner here with their kids!" "Supervisor to cop, call my cell ASAP."

I wonder who called 911, and how they felt seeing all that happen, and the LEOs leave the diners to their dinner.

You'd think by now every LEO in America would have been told to leave legal OCers alone once they see there's no trouble.

Every time I see something about a "Concerned Citizen" I remember a time when Grapeshot, Skidmark, Curtis and myself went to the Strawberry Festival in Ashland.

I fellow walked up to Grapeshot, who was standing in the street, and said "You can't have that here" Pointing at his gun. Then he walked (nearly ran) while shouting "I know, I'm a lawyer"...leaving us there snickering at his dust trail.:lol:

My only comment was "Sure glad that dumb SOB doesn't represent me"!

pyite

I'm reading the youtube comments now. Sounds like a lot of anonymous morons don't particularly like my son acting like a 3 year old boy. There was a reason we were at Steak and Shake and not Ruth Chris. It was an interesting night, but not too interesting. It was great how our waitress just kept on handing us food when the police where there, and she got a really nice tip that night.

Youtube comments are filled with the most ignorant, offensive, sexist, racist, downright stupid posts that exist anywhere on the Internet. Its best to just not read them.

45acpForMe

Time to give Steak-n-Shake some more business!!!

I am curious, under what authority can they ask the manager to throw the OC-ers out? It seems like intimidation to use their uniform and position to try to sway a company to show preference to any specific clientele! I hope a FOIA goes to their department and a letter at least asking for better training of their officers to FOLLOW the law!

ryan7068

"Feeling Safe"

Its funny in a sad way that when OCers are there and know the law, bystanders may "feel" unsafe. The police can show up with their guns while being completely oblivious as to what law they are going to enforce and now these dummys make those same bystanders "feel" safe.

I don't know about you guys but I can't believe there aren't more negligent discharges the way cops fondle their sidearms in public.

BetterCop-2.jpg

assault by intimidaton or brandishing I think.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I am curious, under what authority can they ask the manager to throw the OC-ers out? "Because I can." The same authority you have to ask the manager of an establishment to throw out any person/group you want to seen thrown out.

It seems like intimidation to use their uniform and position to try to sway a company to show preference to any specific clientele! Actually, it may be more than mere intimidation. Several possible crimes come tro mind. Violation of civil rights uinder color of law leads the list, of course. Conspiracy to defraud either the "innkeeper" or the customer - depending on if the folks walk out without paying or are made to leave before finishing their meal. Defamation of character, while usually a civil tort, can in certain circumstances be a criminal violation. Any ambulance-chasing tile crawler* should be able to gin up at least half a dozen more possibilities.

I hope a FOIA goes to their department and a letter at least asking for better training of their officers to FOLLOW the law!

*This shows that ambulance-chasing tile crawlers, who usually are considered less than worthless, have their place in society.

stay safe.

45acpForMe

I am curious, under what authority can they ask the manager to throw the OC-ers out? "Because I can." The same authority you have to ask the manager of an establishment to throw out any person/group you want to seen thrown out.

It seems like intimidation to use their uniform and position to try to sway a company to show preference to any specific clientele! Actually, it may be more than mere intimidation. Several possible crimes come tro mind. Violation of civil rights uinder color of law leads the list, of course. Conspiracy to defraud either the "innkeeper" or the customer - depending on if the folks walk out without paying or are made to leave before finishing their meal. Defamation of character, while usually a civil tort, can in certain circumstances be a criminal violation. Any ambulance-chasing tile crawler* should be able to gin up at least half a dozen more possibilities.
[\QUOTE]

If they were off duty they would have the same authority as I do but on duty police officers in uniform asking (or more likely telling/demanding) the manager to expel customers is different because they are insinuating the power of the state when they make the illegal request. I understand what you are saying but there is a difference. If I ask the owner to expel a customer it is a request. If the state tells the manager to expel a law abiding civil paying customer it is tyranny and the officer needs to be held accountable. Your second statement expounds upon my thoughts on what form of violation they have committed but I don't see anyone mentioning that they need to at least have a slap on the hand reprimand for suggesting that the manager should give them the boot when they have done nothing wrong.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I didn't read all the youtube comments ....

Did anyone FOIA the police report of the situation?

kcgunfan

Trust me, I care not one whit what random strangers think of me, my children, or how I raise them. Heck, I pretty much don't care what people I love think when it comes to my kids.

I know how the call started, because I was a little late. There were 2 ladies in the parking lot talking to the police about a man in a blue shirt, blue jeans, and a blue hat with a firearm. Like I said, the police were a little confused that there were 10 or so of us with firearms. So, they went back to the description, and decided to talk to Rich. That didn't work out as well as they had hoped it would. He refused to provide ID, and there were about 6 people recording the encounter.

It's KCMO's general policy to provide a paddy wagon for arrestee's, so that's not really unusual. They were jumping the gun however, since the paddy wagon got there first and waited for backup.

The police were not trying to convince the manager to throw us out. I'm not sure what lead to that impression. But, they did ask the manager if he wanted us to leave. That was certainly unnecessary, if the manager had wanted us to leave, we would have. He was genuinely happy that we were there spending money, and said that the police were the ones making a scene. We were just there talking and eating dinner peaceably.

Overall, it was a great evening, and we handed out lots of information to people after the police left.