• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any opinions on the Chiappa Rhino 200ds?

That Hyena

Hello. Have been wandering around the internet trying to find a first hand account of someone who owns one. My daily carry is FN Browning Hi-power mk3. But it's slightly too big to comfortably carry concealed at my job without imprinting or getting in the way while I'm working. So I was in the market for a smaller, low profiled revolver I could carry in a IWB under a tee shirt. The Chiappa Rhino 200ds really caught my eye, I just don't know a large amount about it. I've looked at the other more economical choices like an LCR or a Bodyguard or the AirLite. But something about the Rhino just caught my fancy. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-TH

Alexcabbie

The Rhino, that's the one with the barrel on the bottom and the hammer on top, correct?

Seems to me to be an attempt to re-invent the wheel (or the wheelgun!). While having the barrel at the bottom of the piece, purportedly making recoil easier to manage, the mechanics of getting the hammer to strike the primer seem to me a long run for a short slide.

Also, the ungainly appearance of the piece - it looks like a joke - may lead a bad guy to believe you are pointing a toy at him, reducing or eliminating the :shocker:factor that has ended so many confrontations without a shot being fired.

Ruger has a polymer-frame .38 Special rated for +P that won't weigh down your pants so much.

IMO and I have never shot the Rhino, for the money it offers negligible improvement over standard revolver design. You look to be new here, so be aware that this thread is about to erupt into a furious argument between pro-and anti- Rhino factions until it finally goes wildly off-topic in a debate over tax reform or something. Anyway, a Charter Arms Undercover oughtta do ya, and as for printing issues there are holster options to eliminate that concern. Welcome.

DevinWKuska

I do not own, but I have had the pleasure to shoot a 3" rhino revolver. Yes the look is definitely interesting but the thing that blows me away is when I put .357 rounds down range with the same or less recoil then my 9mm semi auto. If I had to carry a revolver I would go with the rhino. Low recoil means good shot placement(you won't flinch), and faster follow up shots. Also since its a .357 you can use .38spl rinds for plinking or .38 +p if that's your thing. Not sure what size the model you speak of is. But you should definitely try to test fire the short barrel and then the long barreled versions. On a side note the 4"+ barrels tend to get on the heavy side.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Member vcdlpresident has reported that he bought one. Send him a PM asking for input. Be sure to mention I snitched him out.:lol:

stay safe.

tonnere

I have owned 1 for a year now and love it. It makes full load .357 magnums feel like like downloaded .38s. I carry it every day in a StickeyHolster IWB.

jeeper1

I just checked the price on those. They're expensive as well as ugly.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I just checked the price on those. They're expensive as well as ugly.

Yeah? So?

Since when are you more concerned with making a fashion statement? Or with proving how cheap you are without actually buying a Hi-Point?

stay safe.

jeeper1

It must be nice to be wealthy.
$819 at gallery of guns for that revolver is almost a months Disability income for me.
I have plenty of carry guns, I don't need a Hi-point or other low cost carry gun. My XD40 suffices for that
or I can go with my SS 1911
or my SS Beretta 92fs
or my SS Taurus 85
or my Taurus PT99AF
or my Ruger 944
or my Kel-tec P11
or one of my two CZ82s
or one of my Ruger Blackhawk 45 convertable
or even my super Blackhawk or any of my other handguns less suitable for comfortable open carry.
I sure miss having an income and the ability to walk.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My sympathies for your economic and physical conditions. BTDT with both.

Just because you cannot afford a certain thing does not mean it is expensive - just that it is beyond your budget. It is good that you recognize you have limits that you cannot go beyond. Are you available for Congress?

Beauty is not everything. I have gotten great pleasure from some things and people that others considered ugly, and also great grief/disappointment from things and people that others considered beautiful.

Heck, some people actually want to buy Glocks.

stay safe.

Jack House

That is exactly what it means, Skid. Expensive is subjective. What is expensive for one may not be expensive for another.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Xulld

I have owned 1 for a year now and love it. It makes full load .357 magnums feel like like downloaded .38s. I carry it every day in a StickeyHolster IWB.

I was going to say that from the bore axis, and angle of the grip it looks like it would manage recoil better than a traditional revolver.

I sure miss having an income and the ability to walk.
I am sorry to hear that, I can understand myself. When I broke my back the first time I couldn't walk for more than 5 minutes at a time, and the same story 2 years later. At the time I was a superintendent for a construction company, so my job was lost without the potential for replacement. I decided to learn something new, and got into technology. So now I can sit and make money, it is often very difficult to change gears like this and very dependent on what is really going on in your life so I understand if this is not an option for you, but I was surprised at first when I got started how easy it was once I started to really focus my efforts to change gears. It set me back almost a whole decade in my career development, but now I am moving a head at a much greater pace despite my disability.

I hope things get better for you!

Last edited: