• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Touching my gun while OC'ing.

.40CLTlocal

I have noticed that where my holster sits most comfortably, on my right hip, it also covers the pocket opening on some of my pants. My question is what are the rules reguarding sliding it forward and backwards on my belt? Also when getting in and out of the car with putting it on/taking it off. I saw an older post here about someone saying that they should not touch it while wearing it. Any pointers would be great.

Last edited:

The Airframer

I wouldn't recommend ever touching your firearm in public, you wouldn't want to insight fear in the public of you possibly intending to draw and "terrorize" the public. My best advice to you is to find a better fitting holster (i carry using SERPA BlackHawk and it is relatively comfortable without compromising purpose) and if a situation arises where you feel you need to adjust for comfort, do so privately--behind the stall of a restroom, or privately and inconspicuously in your vehicle.

Last edited:

.40CLTlocal

My best advice to you is to find a better fitting holster (i carry using SERPA BlackHawk and it is relatively comfortable without compromising purpose) and if a situation arises where you feel you need to adjust for comfort, do so privately--behind the stall of a restroom, or privately and inconspicuously in your vehicle.

Thats the same holster that I have. Its not really comfort issue, but while was at the store, I needed a discount card on my keys. So rather than moving it, I just kinda did an akward reach behind and around. Seeing as my car has in car communication I won't need to take them out other than instances like this and to lock and unlock my house.

jrj_51

Simple fix: put your keys in a different pocket. Carrying takes some thought when it comes to object placement. Things like your keys being behind your weapon and making adjustments for sitting are simple to fix. Move your holster and get used to the way it sits elsewhere, or deal with it being uncomfortable when you are unable to adjust it discreetly.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My right front pants pocket is empty, as the holster sits where my hand would need to be if I wanted to get anything out of that pocket. It just avoids the whole question of where my hand would be heading. Even if I carried closer to 5 o'clock than to 3, I would keep that pocket empty.

With some of the pants I wear the belt loops are such that the holster fits best between the loops, as opposed to being able to use a loop to "anchor" the holster*. On those pants the holster can slide a bit - when it does I try to use something besides my hand to slide the holster back to whee I want it. Yes, I do on occassion run up against a doorframe, or the edge of a counter, or a pillar/post. I can do so discreetly, or at least make it look like I am scratrching an itch rather than fiddling with my holster.

Others may have different ideas or different techniques.

stay safe.

Pancake style holster. Belt goes through rear holster loop, through belt loop, then through front holster loop.

11B2O

I'm not trying to incite a CC vs OC debate here, but this is one handy thing I've learned while CCing. I can adjust my holster through my shirt while no one being the wiser.

chiefjason

There is no hard and fast rule. Generally speaking, don't fool with it much when you are out and about. However, I will adjust it at the car if I need too. You may want to carry it a bit further back, away from the pocket. Some holster/pants combos give me fits with clipping my car keys on a belt loop. Just have to work around it.

Jack House

Simple fix: put your keys in a different pocket. Carrying takes some thought when it comes to object placement.
This, it is why I keep my gun my left side and everything else on the right. My left side is admittedly my weak side, but just ever so barely as I can shoot both left and right handed.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

zekester

I took some getting used to, but I started putting my wallet in my left hip pocket. But that was years ago, so all cool now. I too have a Blackhawk for open and a Fobus for concealed.

.40CLTlocal

Awesome advice guys. When I get home I'm going to try a bunch of combinations to see what i like. Also in high-school I just clipped my keys on. I am gonna do that for my casual stuff and just wear a little further back on dress pants. I never wear long t-shirts so I could really keep anywhere on my belt without worry of cc'ing by mistake. Carry on.

rotorhead

Awesome advice guys. When I get home I'm going to try a bunch of combinations to see what i like. Also in high-school I just clipped my keys on. I am gonna do that for my casual stuff and just wear a little further back on dress pants. I never wear long t-shirts so I could really keep anywhere on my belt without worry of cc'ing by mistake. Carry on.

There's a huge difference between adjusting a holster or sliding it on the belt and pulling out your gun and pointing it around. Even most antis would be hard pressed to confuse the two.

Don't be afraid to do what's needed to provide a level of comfort while carrying, but just be aware of others around you and how they may perceive certain motions.

When transferring between holster and front seat, or whatever, I usually do that inside the vehicle simply to prevent others from seeing the exchange for various reasons. For one, I don't want them freaking out if possible, but I also don't want them seeing where I tuck it if that's the case.

A gun on your hip is something you should work at being comfortable with, both physically and mentally. It shouldn't be treated like a poisonous cactus or something, but there are things you can do to avoid having to touch it in public to prevent the most extreme examples of idiots out there from misunderstanding a motion.

One thing I do is simply forget that I have a right front pocket. While I'm carrying, I just don't use it- in my brain it's not even there. Other than that, there's not much I've changed at all. My wallet's where it's always been, my actions are the same, etc.

Relax and don't draw attention to it. Chances are, most people won't even recognize or notice it in the first place and if they do, they won't react in any detrimental way. There's always exceptions to that, but they are rare.

Ricky

There's a huge difference between adjusting a holster or sliding it on the belt and pulling out your gun and pointing it around. Even most antis would be hard pressed to confuse the two.

Don't be afraid to do what's needed to provide a level of comfort while carrying, but just be aware of others around you and how they may perceive certain motions.

When transferring between holster and front seat, or whatever, I usually do that inside the vehicle simply to prevent others from seeing the exchange for various reasons. For one, I don't want them freaking out if possible, but I also don't want them seeing where I tuck it if that's the case.

A gun on your hip is something you should work at being comfortable with, both physically and mentally. It shouldn't be treated like a poisonous cactus or something, but there are things you can do to avoid having to touch it in public to prevent the most extreme examples of idiots out there from misunderstanding a motion.

One thing I do is simply forget that I have a right front pocket. While I'm carrying, I just don't use it- in my brain it's not even there. Other than that, there's not much I've changed at all. My wallet's where it's always been, my actions are the same, etc.

Relax and don't draw attention to it. Chances are, most people won't even recognize or notice it in the first place and if they do, they won't react in any detrimental way. There's always exceptions to that, but they are rare.
I'll second that..I do not use my right pocket at all.......

.40CLTlocal

OC'ed again last night to the Food Lion on Lawyers Rd. This time was was just in shorts and a T-shirt. Wore a little further forward. Felt world's better. This was only my second time but I am already feeling much more at home with it there. Went to Burlington Coat Factory with my wife and son without it and the whole time I was kicking myself for not brining it.

aosailor

another thing to consider is the type of pants/shorts you are wearing. the pocket style and placement are different between jeans and slacks. The holster placement needed while wearing jeans is perfect for me, but I'm usually stuck in slacks for work. I have to set the holster several inched forward so not to cover the pocket. Its still comfortable, it's just that I still tend to fumble a bit trying to draw quickly from that position.