Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: HB 2522 Passed the Senate Today at 4:53 pm. 39-2

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8

    HB 2522 Passed the Senate Today at 4:53 pm. 39-2

    HB 2522 Passes in Senate
    39 Yes
    2 No
    Last edited by Therealgman; 04-25-2012 at 01:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    6
    This bill has been gutted, its useless. OC or not, the police state is still on my neck and I'm tired of it. Keep buying ammo. Just like everyone else. Everyone I talk to knows whats coming. <Rant off> for now..

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    Quote Originally Posted by JR65 View Post
    This bill has been gutted, its useless.
    Elaborate, please, for those of us who didn't follow all the changes?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Elaborate, please, for those of us who didn't follow all the changes?
    Yes please!

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Hope the OP will clean up the first post in this thread - it is a mess.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Elaborate, please, for those of us who didn't follow all the changes?
    He won't because all he has is hearsay.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    That, and a summary of the bill as it was voted on, so we don't have to research it separately. If it was already in another thread, then this should have been added to that thread instead of its own.

    Also, I count 49, including the "not voted." Was this a full Senate vote? Am I missing something?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That, and a summary of the bill as it was voted on, so we don't have to research it separately. If it was already in another thread, then this should have been added to that thread instead of its own.

    Also, I count 49, including the "not voted." Was this a full Senate vote? Am I missing something?
    Not sure. All I did was take what the Senate posted. And that was 39 yes, 2 no, and the rest were excused from voting. There was a reason for not adding to the other thread, I guess the thread police caught me.
    Last edited by Therealgman; 04-25-2012 at 01:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    6
    I dunno how to quote other threads, but these quotes are from hrdware and here's an article with the bill's author saying what's up. http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/...homa-se/nMh2Z/

    Oklahoma OC Bills-Where do they stand as of today? 4-5-2012

    HB2522 has passed the House and the Senate public safety committee. However the Senate public safety committee gutted the bill and replaced it with Senator Russell SB1092 which didn't get a hearing in committee.


    Open Carry HB2522 Passes the House

    HB2522 has an amendment filed on the Senate floor. We all expected an amendment, but nothing like this. If the amendment passes, it would add ammunition to the parking lot exemption, change the fine for failure to notify, and make notification on "first opportunity". The ONLY open carry this amendment would allow would be on your own private property that you owned, leased, rented or had legal control over. Since this amendment was placed by the Senate sponsor of the bill, I think our only chance will be SB1733 and I don't look for a conference committee.

    http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/...homa-se/nMh2Z/

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    6
    The key quote from the linked article is this:

    "He [Rep. Steve Martin, bill author] says the Senate amended the bill on the floor.

    "So it is my intention to reject Senate amendments and send it to conference committee, work with the Senate author, Senator Treat, put the good language back into it and send it back to the House and Senate for a vote and then send it to the Governor,” says Martin."

    More sweet nothings in our ear?

    Time will tell.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    HB2522 did in fact pass the Senate yesterday, however the bill was amended and removed almost all open carry.

    Here is what the bill provides:
    1) Adding ammunition to the parking lot exemption
    2) Changing the notification from "first contact" to "first opportunity"
    3) Reducing the penalty for failure to notify to $100
    4) allowing OC without a permit on your own property

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    HB2522 did in fact pass the Senate yesterday, however the bill was amended and removed almost all open carry.

    Here is what the bill provides:
    1) Adding ammunition to the parking lot exemption
    2) Changing the notification from "first contact" to "first opportunity"
    3) Reducing the penalty for failure to notify to $100
    4) allowing OC without a permit on your own property
    These people are about to get on my last nerve!

  13. #13
    Regular Member donsadlerjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edmond, OK
    Posts
    83
    So I did some home work on this and I am not 100% sure about all this but it looks like house and senate got it passed. But then looks like some action has been going on like the billing being passed back and forth. I kind of don;t understand anything other then both house and Senate passed it.

    Engrossed to House 04/25/2012 S
    SA's received 04/25/2012 H
    SA's rejected, conference requested, naming Conference Committee on Public Safety, Judiciary and Military Affairs 04/26/2012 H

    Found this on http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=hb2522

    If anyone knows details please explain if you can. I would like to know what is going on. Almost looks like it past both places and then the SA's rejected it so not sure what that part means.


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Oklahoma
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by donsadlerjr View Post
    So I did some home work on this and I am not 100% sure about all this but it looks like house and senate got it passed. But then looks like some action has been going on like the billing being passed back and forth. I kind of don;t understand anything other then both house and Senate passed it.

    Engrossed to House 04/25/2012 S
    SA's received 04/25/2012 H
    SA's rejected, conference requested, naming Conference Committee on Public Safety, Judiciary and Military Affairs 04/26/2012 H

    Found this on http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=hb2522

    If anyone knows details please explain if you can. I would like to know what is going on. Almost looks like it past both places and then the SA's rejected it so not sure what that part means.

    What I see is that HB2522 had its Senate amendments rejected today and is still sitting in the house. However, HB2522 is not a real Open Carry bill any more and we can forget about it.

    However, SB1733, which as far as I can tell, is still a decent Open Carry bill did get passed by the House today. However, Russel filed an amendment to change one word in the bill. I don't know if this was an effort to continue clogging the system or if he thought it was an important change. Now, all that has to happen is for the engrossed bill to have its fourth reading in the Senate by the end of the session in late May and have a passing vote to go to the Governor's desk.

    That is pretty much what Randy Bass's office told us about the status of SB1733 and it seems that the future of Open Carry just got much brighter unless I am missing something somewhere.

  15. #15
    Regular Member donsadlerjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edmond, OK
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemaker65 View Post
    What I see is that HB2522 had its Senate amendments rejected today and is still sitting in the house. However, HB2522 is not a real Open Carry bill any more and we can forget about it.

    However, SB1733, which as far as I can tell, is still a decent Open Carry bill did get passed by the House today. However, Russel filed an amendment to change one word in the bill. I don't know if this was an effort to continue clogging the system or if he thought it was an important change. Now, all that has to happen is for the engrossed bill to have its fourth reading in the Senate by the end of the session in late May and have a passing vote to go to the Governor's desk.

    That is pretty much what Randy Bass's office told us about the status of SB1733 and it seems that the future of Open Carry just got much brighter unless I am missing something somewhere.
    Ok awesome I am going to start looking at that bill then. I honestly could remember the process went over it in high school long long time ago but something that I don't do everyday. Do you know what was changed? Was it anything that honestly needed to be changed.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    Don't all pending bills die tonight at midnight?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4

    Amendment to SB 1733

    It looks like there are 3 threads going on about OC in OK, but this one looks like the place. It took me a little bit to figure this out and WOW, politicians are sneaky.

    Lets start with SB 1733 in the house committee: We had a substitute, that would change the CC license into a 'handgun' license. This gave licensed OC with a permit. One thing saved from the Senate was about unlicensed CC/OC "in or on" property controlled by the person ( vehicle, house, land, etc ).

    Section 11 - Conditions under which firearms may be carried, gives unlicensed OC for a few activities; hunting, fishing, etc. PP 6, originally, is the legitimate purposes exception which has been beat to death here. From the Senate we get a new pp 6:

    6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or
    7. For any legitimate purpose...

    This is vehicle OC, clarifies legality of OC on your own property, and in your home. All unlicensed. We also have self-defence and self-protection listed as legitimate purposes, but they are tied to the "in or on property" - The first part being an enumeration of the types of activities, followed by how/where.

    Now the House Floor amendment:

    I move to amend SB1733
    Page 23 Section 11 Lines 4

    BY deleting the word “in”

    Getting Long so need to wrap it up. If you remove the "in" from line 4, you no longer have a list of items followed by a how/when. You have a single disjunctive statement. It does leave a redundant "legitimate purposes" clause in pp6 but it gives unlicensed OC, for the specified reasons of self-defense, self-protection, or on your property.

    "Green and brown or any other earth color in or on the palette" --> related to the palette
    "Green and brown or any other earth color or on the palette" --> not related at all, each is separate.

    I'm done.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Marion M View Post

    6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or
    7. For any legitimate purpose...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like they are defining what the self-defense act already tells us.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Oklahoma
    Posts
    15
    So, was SB1733 originally an OC bill only for your own property and now it has been amended to be OC anywhere?

    Also, I already OC on my own property. What law forbids this? Or is this "own property" thing a way to exempt us from Fish and Game laws that require a hunting license and/or tags if you are carrying a weapon legal for taking game that is in season?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemaker65 View Post
    So, was SB1733 originally an OC bill only for your own property and now it has been amended to be OC anywhere?

    Also, I already OC on my own property. What law forbids this? Or is this "own property" thing a way to exempt us from Fish and Game laws that require a hunting license and/or tags if you are carrying a weapon legal for taking game that is in season?
    Here is the law that is cited for not allowing you to open carry:

    Quote Originally Posted by Title 21 Section 1272
    TITLE 21 § 1272 UNLAWFUL CARRY
    A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:
    1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;
    2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;
    3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency;
    4. The carrying or use of weapons in a courthouse by a district judge, associate district judge or special district judge within this state, who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose name appears on a list maintained by the Administrative Director or the Courts; or
    5. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, living history reenactment means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.
    If you live in an incorporated city that has laws against the discharge of a firearm in city limits, then you can not claim exemption under item A.-1.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Harwell View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like they are defining what the self-defense act already tells us.
    The SDA allows carrying of a concealed weapon. This would allow you to open carry on your own property without a permit.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    580
    As it stands right now and has been for quite some time you can OC on your own private property or any private property with that owners concent. I recently quit a job that allowed me to OC everyday at work. In fact every employee OC'd. The boss/ owner is LEO and 3 other employees are also LEO's. Once we left the property line we had to CC. So a bill that states this very same thing iss pointless other than having it on the books in black and white and calling it an OC bill. An OC bill should be anywhere you can CC at a minimum.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Posts
    4

    HB 2522 and SB 1733

    Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    The SDA allows carrying of a concealed weapon. This would allow you to open carry on your own property without a permit.
    I've been reading the thread and ran across this article from today's NewsOK.com...

    http://newsok.com/oklahoma-house-pas...#ixzz1tFlLnQ9q

    It goes beyond the OC on private property, and after looking at the original document on scribd.com, both the HB and SB took the current Oklahoma SDA and rewrote key words and passages, adding the term "unconcealed weapon" in most sentences alongside "concealed weapon". The Senate Amendment was struck down, which called for a true OC based on the 2nd Amendment. I personally don't have a problem with having to be licensed to carry openly, but again, that's just my own opinion. All current authorizations and restrictions of the OK SDA will still stand with the changed wording for OC for licensed residents.

    Thanks for allowing me to join the forum and I hope to enjoy many conversations here.

    cloefke
    Lawton, OK

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    As it stands right now and has been for quite some time you can OC on your own private property or any private property with that owners concent. I recently quit a job that allowed me to OC everyday at work. In fact every employee OC'd. The boss/ owner is LEO and 3 other employees are also LEO's. Once we left the property line we had to CC. So a bill that states this very same thing iss pointless other than having it on the books in black and white and calling it an OC bill. An OC bill should be anywhere you can CC at a minimum.
    Your employer may have allowed it, but that doesn't make it correct due to the letter of the law. Most incorporated cities have ordinances against discharging a firearm within the city limits. Title 21 Section 1272 specifies when one can open carry and in an incorporated city you could not claim an exemption under Paragraph A, subsection 1, which is for recreational purposes.

    It is illegal for me to openly carry a firearm in my own front yard in the city of Moore. This will fix that problem.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    Your employer may have allowed it, but that doesn't make it correct due to the letter of the law. Most incorporated cities have ordinances against discharging a firearm within the city limits. Title 21 Section 1272 specifies when one can open carry and in an incorporated city you could not claim an exemption under Paragraph A, subsection 1, which is for recreational purposes.

    It is illegal for me to openly carry a firearm in my own front yard in the city of Moore. This will fix that problem.
    Maybe he worked at H&H!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •