• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 2522 Passed the Senate Today at 4:53 pm. 39-2

JR65

This bill has been gutted, its useless. OC or not, the police state is still on my neck and I'm tired of it. Keep buying ammo. Just like everyone else. Everyone I talk to knows whats coming. <Rant off> for now..

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That, and a summary of the bill as it was voted on, so we don't have to research it separately. If it was already in another thread, then this should have been added to that thread instead of its own.

Also, I count 49, including the "not voted." Was this a full Senate vote? Am I missing something?

Therealgman

That, and a summary of the bill as it was voted on, so we don't have to research it separately. If it was already in another thread, then this should have been added to that thread instead of its own.

Also, I count 49, including the "not voted." Was this a full Senate vote? Am I missing something?

Not sure. All I did was take what the Senate posted. And that was 39 yes, 2 no, and the rest were excused from voting. There was a reason for not adding to the other thread, I guess the thread police caught me.

Last edited:

JR65

I dunno how to quote other threads, but these quotes are from hrdware and here's an article with the bill's author saying what's up. http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/open-carry-author-rejects-changes-made-oklahoma-se/nMh2Z/

Oklahoma OC Bills-Where do they stand as of today? 4-5-2012

HB2522 has passed the House and the Senate public safety committee. However the Senate public safety committee gutted the bill and replaced it with Senator Russell SB1092 which didn't get a hearing in committee.

Open Carry HB2522 Passes the House

HB2522 has an amendment filed on the Senate floor. We all expected an amendment, but nothing like this. If the amendment passes, it would add ammunition to the parking lot exemption, change the fine for failure to notify, and make notification on "first opportunity". The ONLY open carry this amendment would allow would be on your own private property that you owned, leased, rented or had legal control over. Since this amendment was placed by the Senate sponsor of the bill, I think our only chance will be SB1733 and I don't look for a conference committee.

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/open-carry-author-rejects-changes-made-oklahoma-se/nMh2Z/

JR65

The key quote from the linked article is this:

"He [Rep. Steve Martin, bill author] says the Senate amended the bill on the floor.

"So it is my intention to reject Senate amendments and send it to conference committee, work with the Senate author, Senator Treat, put the good language back into it and send it back to the House and Senate for a vote and then send it to the Governor,” says Martin."

More sweet nothings in our ear?

Time will tell.

hrdware

HB2522 did in fact pass the Senate yesterday, however the bill was amended and removed almost all open carry.

Here is what the bill provides:
1) Adding ammunition to the parking lot exemption
2) Changing the notification from "first contact" to "first opportunity"
3) Reducing the penalty for failure to notify to $100
4) allowing OC without a permit on your own property

Brandon Harwell

HB2522 did in fact pass the Senate yesterday, however the bill was amended and removed almost all open carry.

Here is what the bill provides:
1) Adding ammunition to the parking lot exemption
2) Changing the notification from "first contact" to "first opportunity"
3) Reducing the penalty for failure to notify to $100
4) allowing OC without a permit on your own property

These people are about to get on my last nerve!

donsadlerjr

So I did some home work on this and I am not 100% sure about all this but it looks like house and senate got it passed. But then looks like some action has been going on like the billing being passed back and forth. I kind of don;t understand anything other then both house and Senate passed it.

Engrossed to House 04/25/2012 S
SA's received 04/25/2012 H
SA's rejected, conference requested, naming Conference Committee on Public Safety, Judiciary and Military Affairs 04/26/2012 H

Found this on http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=hb2522

If anyone knows details please explain if you can. I would like to know what is going on. Almost looks like it past both places and then the SA's rejected it so not sure what that part means.

:cool:

Peacemaker65

So I did some home work on this and I am not 100% sure about all this but it looks like house and senate got it passed. But then looks like some action has been going on like the billing being passed back and forth. I kind of don;t understand anything other then both house and Senate passed it.

Engrossed to House 04/25/2012 S
SA's received 04/25/2012 H
SA's rejected, conference requested, naming Conference Committee on Public Safety, Judiciary and Military Affairs 04/26/2012 H

Found this on http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=hb2522

If anyone knows details please explain if you can. I would like to know what is going on. Almost looks like it past both places and then the SA's rejected it so not sure what that part means.

:cool:

What I see is that HB2522 had its Senate amendments rejected today and is still sitting in the house. However, HB2522 is not a real Open Carry bill any more and we can forget about it.

However, SB1733, which as far as I can tell, is still a decent Open Carry bill did get passed by the House today. However, Russel filed an amendment to change one word in the bill. I don't know if this was an effort to continue clogging the system or if he thought it was an important change. Now, all that has to happen is for the engrossed bill to have its fourth reading in the Senate by the end of the session in late May and have a passing vote to go to the Governor's desk.

That is pretty much what Randy Bass's office told us about the status of SB1733 and it seems that the future of Open Carry just got much brighter unless I am missing something somewhere.

donsadlerjr

What I see is that HB2522 had its Senate amendments rejected today and is still sitting in the house. However, HB2522 is not a real Open Carry bill any more and we can forget about it.

However, SB1733, which as far as I can tell, is still a decent Open Carry bill did get passed by the House today. However, Russel filed an amendment to change one word in the bill. I don't know if this was an effort to continue clogging the system or if he thought it was an important change. Now, all that has to happen is for the engrossed bill to have its fourth reading in the Senate by the end of the session in late May and have a passing vote to go to the Governor's desk.

That is pretty much what Randy Bass's office told us about the status of SB1733 and it seems that the future of Open Carry just got much brighter unless I am missing something somewhere.

Ok awesome I am going to start looking at that bill then. I honestly could remember the process went over it in high school long long time ago but something that I don't do everyday. Do you know what was changed? Was it anything that honestly needed to be changed.

Marion M

Amendment to SB 1733

It looks like there are 3 threads going on about OC in OK, but this one looks like the place. It took me a little bit to figure this out and WOW, politicians are sneaky.

Lets start with SB 1733 in the house committee: We had a substitute, that would change the CC license into a 'handgun' license. This gave licensed OC with a permit. One thing saved from the Senate was about unlicensed CC/OC "in or on" property controlled by the person ( vehicle, house, land, etc ).

Section 11 - Conditions under which firearms may be carried, gives unlicensed OC for a few activities; hunting, fishing, etc. PP 6, originally, is the legitimate purposes exception which has been beat to death here. From the Senate we get a new pp 6:

6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or
7. For any legitimate purpose...

This is vehicle OC, clarifies legality of OC on your own property, and in your home. All unlicensed. We also have self-defence and self-protection listed as legitimate purposes, but they are tied to the "in or on property" - The first part being an enumeration of the types of activities, followed by how/where.

Now the House Floor amendment:

I move to amend SB1733
Page 23 Section 11 Lines 4

BY deleting the word “in”

Getting Long so need to wrap it up. If you remove the "in" from line 4, you no longer have a list of items followed by a how/when. You have a single disjunctive statement. It does leave a redundant "legitimate purposes" clause in pp6 but it gives unlicensed OC, for the specified reasons of self-defense, self-protection, or on your property.

"Green and brown or any other earth color in or on the palette" --> related to the palette
"Green and brown or any other earth color or on the palette" --> not related at all, each is separate.

I'm done.

Brandon Harwell

6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or
7. For any legitimate purpose...

Correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like they are defining what the self-defense act already tells us.

Peacemaker65

So, was SB1733 originally an OC bill only for your own property and now it has been amended to be OC anywhere?

Also, I already OC on my own property. What law forbids this? Or is this "own property" thing a way to exempt us from Fish and Game laws that require a hunting license and/or tags if you are carrying a weapon legal for taking game that is in season?

hrdware

So, was SB1733 originally an OC bill only for your own property and now it has been amended to be OC anywhere?

Also, I already OC on my own property. What law forbids this? Or is this "own property" thing a way to exempt us from Fish and Game laws that require a hunting license and/or tags if you are carrying a weapon legal for taking game that is in season?

Here is the law that is cited for not allowing you to open carry:

Title 21 Section 1272 said:
TITLE 21 § 1272 UNLAWFUL CARRY
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:
1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;
2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;
3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency;
4. The carrying or use of weapons in a courthouse by a district judge, associate district judge or special district judge within this state, who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose name appears on a list maintained by the Administrative Director or the Courts; or
5. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, living history reenactment means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

If you live in an incorporated city that has laws against the discharge of a firearm in city limits, then you can not claim exemption under item A.-1.