• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at the Fauquier County Sheriff's Office???

Mailman

I noticed a brand new sign at the public entrance to the Fauquier County Sheriff's Office today. It states that no guns, knives or other weapons allowed. If I am correct, I thought even the sheriff's office was preempted by the state legislation. I am not sure if the magistrate is located in the building or in the trailer behind the building and would that make a difference?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The law says no carry in "sensitive" areas - places where prisoners are routinely kept/found. This means that while the lobby area is OK, there may be some difficulty with offices and corridors as well as the more obvious prisoner holding areas.

Generally those areas are marked so that LEOs do not inadverdantly bring a firearm into an area where some bad guy could take it away from them and use it to effect an escape. (And why, you ask, do LEOs need a sign reminding them where not to bring guns? Wait for it -- because someone once did bring a gun there!:shocker:)

The location of the Magistrate's ofice should have nothing to do with the sign that seemingly places the entire area "off limits" to guns, knives or other weapons.*

Politely ask them to remove the sign - maybe even use one of those e-cards Ed likes to use which makes it easy to post here. Let us know what happens.

stay safe.

*What is up with that "knives, guns or other weapons" bit that LEOs seem to just love to use? Why can't/don't they just go with the generic "weapons"? They seem to be just as afraid of bazookas, thermonuclear bombs and outer space death rays as they are guns and knives, so why mention thosre two and then lump everything else together?

67GT390FB

The law says no carry in "sensitive" areas - places where prisoners are routinely kept/found. This means that while the lobby area is OK, there may be some difficulty with offices and corridors as well as the more obvious prisoner holding areas.

Generally those areas are marked so that LEOs do not inadverdantly bring a firearm into an area where some bad guy could take it away from them and use it to effect an escape. (And why, you ask, do LEOs need a sign reminding them where not to bring guns? Wait for it -- because someone once did bring a gun there!:shocker:)

The location of the Magistrate's ofice should have nothing to do with the sign that seemingly places the entire area "off limits" to guns, knives or other weapons.*

Politely ask them to remove the sign - maybe even use one of those e-cards Ed likes to use which makes it easy to post here. Let us know what happens.

stay safe.

*What is up with that "knives, guns or other weapons" bit that LEOs seem to just love to use? Why can't/don't they just go with the generic "weapons"? They seem to be just as afraid of bazookas, thermonuclear bombs and outer space death rays as they are guns and knives, so why mention thosre two and then lump everything else together?

its not the nukes or death rays that have them up at night its the nunchucks that they're afeared of.

Mailman

I did check with one of the bail bonds people today and he confirmed that the magistrate's office is in a separate building behind the sheriff's office. Also, the jail/detention center is up the street from the sheriff's office.

Blk97F150

I did check with one of the bail bonds people today and he confirmed that the magistrate's office is in a separate building behind the sheriff's office. Also, the jail/detention center is up the street from the sheriff's office.

What about just calling the Sheriff and asking him about it?

TFred

Interesting question. There is no bigger fan of 15.2-915 than I am. A sheriff is not a locality, but a constitutional officer. Can a sheriff be considered an agent of a locality? Or perhaps it is covered by the third paragraph of Section A:

"The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility."

Would the sheriff's office be considered a Department?

TFred

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I noticed a brand new sign at the public entrance to the Fauquier County Sheriff's Office today. It states that no guns, knives or other weapons allowed. If I am correct, I thought even the sheriff's office was preempted by the state legislation. I am not sure if the magistrate is located in the building or in the trailer behind the building and would that make a difference?

I would say the sign is a violation of the law.

ed

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Subject: No "no guns, knives or other weapons allowed"?
To: sheriff.fox@fauquiercounty.gov
Cc: kevin.burke@fauquiercounty.gov

Sheriff Fox -

Hi.. It was brought to my attention that a new sign has been put up at the entrance to your office. This sign states "no guns, knives or other weapons allowed". That sign is in violation of § 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

How soon can it be corrected or removed?

Thanks,

Ed Levine

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dang, Ed! Didn't even give the guy a chance to search out the e-cards and fire off one of his own.

Not that I'm complaining about you picking up the ball - just that I'm not sure it was officially out of the OP's hands and therefore "loose" yet.

stay safe.

ed

Dang, Ed! Didn't even give the guy a chance to search out the e-cards and fire off one of his own.

Not that I'm complaining about you picking up the ball - just that I'm not sure it was officially out of the OP's hands and therefore "loose" yet.

stay safe.
I saw the OP's original post and saw the answer given by you, then I saw him further explain about checking with bail bonds people, etc. These things replicate like rabbits. If a town/municipality puts up a sign, they might also make signs for other of "their" other buildings. I think it is best to nip them in the bud. If the OP and others also contact them via phone, email, post, etc I think it is a good thing to let them know we, collectively, hold them accountable.

thaJack

In my opinion, it shouldn't have to be handed off... there is no reason that Ed and the OP can't both send an email. If the local government is violating the law, a reasonable person would believe that more than one person could potentially be upset about it.

TFred

The thing that most amuses me about these kinds of situations is the fact that the offenders don't seem to ever take notice that there are no signs like this anywhere else in the city or county government. It's almost as if they one day said to themselves, "Eureka! I've had a splendid idea that NOBODY has ever thought of before! Let's put up a 'No Guns' sign here!" Without a clue or thought in the world of why that might actually be the case...

:banghead:

TFred

riverrat10k

Doesn't bother me that Ed has a "fast draw." Sometimes I will be composing an e-mail or post and before ya know it, I am pre-empted. Bet he's a much better pistol shot than me, also.

I agree with him to keep 'em honest as quickly and politely as possible.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Doesn't bother me that Ed has a "fast draw." Sometimes I will be composing an e-mail or post and before ya know it, I am pre-empted. Bet he's a much better pistol shot than me, also.

I agree with him to keep 'em honest as quickly and politely as possible.

Yep!

It isn't a contest.

ed

Sign removed

Subject: Sign
To: "vagunrights@gmail.com" <vagunrights@gmail.com>
CC: Sign

Sir;

The sign issue you brought to our attention has been addressed and the signs removed. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and allowing our agency to correct it.

Sent from my iPhone

Lt. Colonel Paul F. Mercer, Jr.
Fauquier County Sheriff's Office

aadvark

ed:

Congratulations!

It is Nice to Know that Virginia Law 15.2-915 is Properly Enforced by Sheriffs' who do NOT Allow Personal Opinions to get in The Way of Their Professional Duties!

aadvark

Last edited:

ryan7068

A Thanks.

while I know it shouldn't be necessary, I took it upon myself to send them a quick thanks as well. Like previously said, its good that they care about the law and the facts and aren't to prideful to correct the situation and move on.