• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FOX 13 Seattle will have a report on CPLs at 5PM news report

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
FOX has announced that they will have a report on the record number of CPL applications in Washington, today at 1700(5PM). I am hoping they got the information correct.

we shall see

Last edited:

jt59

FOX has announced that they will have a report on the record number of CPL applications in Washington, today at 1700(5PM). I am hoping they got the information correct.

we shall see

I'll be watching for sure.....it will be interesting to see how they will spin the topic....I am sure they will have several "man on the street" interviews and possibly some local political wonks...

....and the "proof statement" at the beginning framing the piece in the first place.....

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I just about barfed with there quick preview, when we return... It sounds like they will be blaming the 'sharp increase' in murders in this state to the increase in gun sales. I am hoping not, but that's how its setup.

jt59

I wasn't surprised they set the story up with a random murder at the top of the hour....it was also sadly coincidental that the victim died in the middle of the telecast....

I thought it interesting the attempt to tie the 360,000 CPL holders to the "spike" in crime...they didn't research enough to know that the applicant rate has just simply been steady and increasing at some good percentage a year, every year..not a "dramatic" increase that can be tied to some newly discoverd urgent fear....more and more people are coming to the realization that it's a dangerous world out there, and the PD just isn't going to make it in time to make a difference.

I thought the interviewer and the subsequent editing with D. Workman was pretty neutral as was the statements from the Mayor....two sides, two opposing views on the same issue, Nothing new here....but didn't get a hard bias from the reporter.

1 in 14 have a cpl, and our crime rates are actually down.....they reported. I'm guessing when you take out the folks that are simply ineligible for a CPL for age, criminal history, incarceration or other issues in the state demographic, the ratio is higher than stated.

Over all I thought it a good report....Workman got the high points in and on target. "Your on your own"!....something, we all understand.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Video

Sorry for the background noise.

[video=youtube;gyfnnB5I_pU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyfnnB5I_pU[/video]

Dave Workman

Geez, that guy Workman has a face for radio...or milk cartons.

I'm a bit disappointed in Roberts' editing. We chatted for quite a while.
Ah, well.

Overall, it was balanced.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Geez, that guy Workman has a face for radio...or milk cartons.

I'm a bit disappointed in Roberts' editing. We chatted for quite a while.
Ah, well.

Overall, it was balanced.

Dave you should know by now it is not about what story you want to get out when being interviewed it is what the reporter or editor wants it to come out as.
At least they did put out a couple pretty good quotes in it.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Good job Dave

I thought it came out better than I expected. Dave was fluid and succinct, the mayor seemed to be speaking in his usual stumbling manner when it comes to those "scary guns". I noticed the mayor did not say much about crime, just the "gun".

LkWd_Don

My Wife and I had a good laugh after hearing Mayor McGinn. We've had at least 3 firearms in our home as long as we have been married and even with children around, we have never had issues like Mike insinuated will happen.

Dave in Edmonds

I sent a Facebook message to David Rose expressing my displeasure with the report seeming to attempt to connect an increase in CPL holders to an increase in murders. He responded that he had not seen the piece until they aired it and that he felt it could have been done much better as well. He also said that he was forwarding my comments on to C.R. Douglas and the news' executive producer.