• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry, and summer activities anyone?

DrakeZ07

Hiyas guys~ Enjoying the great warm weather today? I love it, and makes me giddy for May and the warmer and hotter days it brings :D

So, I was thinking of some of the activities for the next couple months, and was thinking about planning, or seeing if anyone else would like to help make plan and put together a Open Carry activity of fun and relaxing thingies next month, or june, or something.

Was browsing some ideas, and could use some other votes or ideas from you guys, but I'd really love to put together a Weekend event for everyone who wishes to come out, have some fun, relax, and do it with OC'ing, and maybe educate some people too.

I remember reading and seeing on youtube, of the Open Carry litter pick-up, and that kind of brought to mind on how organized it all was, if I could get some interest with that organization, but for a family activity, that would be awesome.

So, some of the Idea's I've got, that I'd love to hear you all's thoughts on, and if any of you would like to help me plan on or something, I'd love it :D

I know not everyone here has a 4x4 Vehicle, or would want to go trailing riding in it, for trust, or vehicle issues, but would there be any interest in a 4x4 OHV trail ride for a full day? -- There's two options I know of for such a meet and greet ride thingy, that being Turkey Bay OHV down on Kentucky Lake, and Black Mountain OHV down by Harlan County. I think it'd be fun to have a few others load up for a day's worth of trail riding at either one, bring some food and water, and maybe have a BBQ a lil after noon, relax and talk and eat, and then have some more trail riding. -- There's camping and motels at both options, in case anyone wanted to make a two-day thing, or needed to rest after a full day of fun.

Beaches! Who doesn't love a good relaxing day at the beach, spent with friends, family, or members from this sub-forum? If there's interest, or no interest for the 4x4 Idea, would there be any interest for a Open Carry day at the beach? -- Only beach I know of, and have visited many times over, is Zilpo Beach on Cave Run Lake. I'm not sure if Grayson Lake, Lake Cumberland, or Kentucky lake has any beaches, or of any other lakes with beaches in our state, but I'd love to hear some suggestions! Would anyone like to go and have a fun day on the beach? I know it might be strange, but I'm sure it's possible to OC while there, and I have plenty of folding chairs, and a couple mini charcoal grills I could bring if the other beaches didn't have any available BBQ pits to use.

Hiking! We have hundreds, if not thousands, of hiking trails in our state. And each one can lead to beautiful, breath taking scenery, or to a secluded waterfall with great water to dive in and cool off ^~^ Though I'm a smoker, I love to hike, and walk around out doors. and If I can tackle the hard walk down Sky bridge, and back up those flights of wooden stairs, I'm sure some of you non-smokers can too!

If there's interest for any of the Hiking, scenic, swimming, walking, or maybe even camping, I know the red river gorge like the back of my hand, and there's plenty to do, that is, if you ignore the zombie (buckeye) invasion of the newbie/easy-to-reach locations, hehe.

A meet up in Glady/Nada at natural bridge, there's a pizza place called Miguel's, it's very good, and it's a rock climber outfitter place, very relaxed small place to meet and eat, then head out to Natural bridge if you want plenty of people with you, or Sky bridge or the other natural arch's in the area, maybe some hiking, and then hit a favored swimming hole of mine down along Indian creek on the Menifee Co side of red river.

And in case anyone is worried about expenses and food and drinks, if it'd be any more of an incentive to encourage a OC Summer activity, I'd try to bring enough meat, and drinks, and veggies for dozen or so people for a good lil BBQ.

Sorry for the long post, I'm in one of those giddy type-a-lot moods brimming with ideas.

Second lil though, my Jeep has room for four other people, five if someone sits/stands on the center console. I'm sure if those with a 4x4 wanted to come, we can fit them in our 4x4's, jeeps Toyota, Chevy's fords, whatever and however :D

86 slo-vo

I go to turkey bay several times a year....the have a no guns sign posted at the guard stand.

IMAG0802.jpg

DrakeZ07

I go to turkey bay several times a year....the have a no guns sign posted at the guard stand.

IMAG0802.jpg

First off, awesome rig. I haven't had the pleasure of riding Turkey bay, or around the western kentucky area, so I'm not sure of how their trails are rated, or how they handle. I've ridden Black Mtn. twice, and at private OHV's by friends and others in the area. My Jeep GC is all stock, I don't have any mods or anything bigger than 27" Mud/snow tires. So I have to keep that in question when looking at other OHV's.

Secondly;

Via this link, the Turkey Bay OHV rules and regulations, says nothing about Firearms being prohibited:
http://www.lbl.org/pdf/11TurkeyBayOHVMap.pdf
http://www.landbetweenthelakes.com/images/turkey-bay-ohv-rules-regulations.pdf
http://www.lbl.org/VCRulesGate.html#ohv

However, on the general regulations, I read through each rules, outside of the OHV part, and found this:

Under "General Rules" located here: http://www.lbl.org/VCRulesGate.html#general
"12. Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates."

Under the "Hunting Rules" located here: http://www.lbl.org/VCRulesGate.html#hunting
"10. Firearms possessed during legal hunting season by licensed hunters must be cased and unloaded (chamber and magazine) while being transported in a motorized vehicle."

Not to get side-tracked from the intent of my thread, but I thought it should be pointed out, that those two provisions seem kinda confusing to me, including the bolded parts, and being that both provisions are not listed under the "OHV rules" nor the linked OHV waiver, and rules PDF files.

I must have been mistaken, but I thought it was legal to have firearms, and to carry them, in National forests and parks, as well as state parks/forests, etc. I mean, its not at, or beside/near the CoE damn...

Has anyone spoke to the officials at LBL/Turkey Bay, or Kentucky lake for explanation, and what law/right they have to regulate firearms in Kentucky? If so, any response, or luck in getting the signs taken down? Didn't Obama sign into law an act or something making National parks/forests/etc follow state law regarding firearms carry? or am I again mistaken?

86 slo-vo

I've never asked, I always had a gun in the truck but that was before I started carrying. Wasn't sure how the rules worked in the park.

The LBL trails and camping are great, everything from mild to wild.

As for the truck, I sold it last July and I'm halfway through my next build... Decided to go bigger this time around. Chop top exo'd 94 explorer on 1 tons and 40's.