• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan OC

Jake8x7

Activist Member
I'm sorry if I should do my own research, but my girlfriend is choosing between getting an instate Ohio CPL or a Florida nonresident CCW. Florida would offer more reciprocity in the bible belt, where she visits often, but florida nonresident isn't valid in Michigan. Is permitless OC allowed in MI? Rules on permitless carry in cars? I have a huge sinus migraine and she called me to figure it out for her...

Thanks

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Small_Arms_Collector

If she wants to have a handgun AT ALL in Michigan she will have to get the Ohio resident permit. She can always get both though.

Michigan does not require a CPL to open carry (but it makes it much simpler), however because of our registration system all handguns in Michigan have to be registered, unless the person who has them is a non Michigan resident, and has a carry permit from their home state, otherwise their is no legal way for a non Michigan resident to have a handgun in Michigan let alone carry it.

xmanhockey7

If she wants to have a handgun AT ALL in Michigan she will have to get the Ohio resident permit. She can always get both though.

Michigan does not require a CPL to open carry (but it makes it much simpler), however because of our registration system all handguns in Michigan have to be registered, unless the person who has them is a non Michigan resident, and has a carry permit from their home state, otherwise their is no legal way for a non Michigan resident to have a handgun in Michigan let alone carry it.

Close but not quite. To carry concealed in Michigan you must have a carry permit from your state of residence. To have the handgun in Michigan and open carry it you simply need to be licensed by this state or another to carry a concealed pistol no residency required. With the FL non-resident she would also be exempt from 750.234d but could not carry in the car and would have to transport like someone without a CPL.

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by
another state.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.
(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Close but not quite. To carry concealed in Michigan you must have a carry permit from your state of residence. To have the handgun in Michigan and open carry it you simply need to be licensed by this state or another to carry a concealed pistol no residency required. With the FL non-resident she would also be exempt from 750.234d but could not carry in the car and would have to transport like someone without a CPL.

+1 Good job explaining the "nuances" of Michigan handgun law.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

I'm sorry but this is wrong (in red); please read the post from xmanhockey7.

1245A Defender

well,,,

To the OP...
it is sad that neither You or your Girlfriend wouldnt take 30 seconds
to visit handgunlawus.com...

If some one lives in a state,,, and wants to carry Concealled, the only first and right answer is to get your resident permit!
The Ohio permit is ALL she needs, for home, for Michigan, for Florida and for travel!

Last edited:

Jake8x7

Activist Member
I guess you missed the whole part about bible belt state CCing...Georgia Alabama and south Carolina don't accept Ohio CPL. Also, handgunlaws don't usually give the difficult answer (such as the one given about OCing legal but has to transport like a non permit holder)

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
To the OP...
it is sad that neither You or your Girlfriend wouldnt take 30 seconds
to visit handgunlawus.com...

If some one lives in a state,,, and wants to carry Concealled, the only first and right answer is to get your resident permit!
The Ohio permit is ALL she needs, for home, for Michigan, for Florida and for travel!

I wouldn't follow the handgunlaw.us statements regarding transportation of a pistol in a vehicle; the law they cite is for LONG guns.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

I guess you missed the whole part about bible belt state CCing...Georgia Alabama and south Carolina don't accept Ohio CPL. Also, handgunlaws don't usually give the difficult answer (such as the one given about OCing legal but has to transport like a non permit holder)

I wouldn't follow the handgunlaw.us statements regarding transportation of a pistol in a vehicle; the law they cite is for LONG guns.

the girlfriends Ohio resident permit will afford her the "full carry rights and responabilities" of
a Michigan, Florida AND South Carolina person, in those states!

it is true she would not be covered in Georgia, Alabama or Mississippi, but a non res Florida or Utah permit would fix all of those.

So her Ohio permit AND a "Florida or Utah non res permit" would be the great combination for all of her needs.

Michigander

Don't forget the federal gun free school zones act. Because of that vile piece of treasonous garbage, you must have a license from the state you are in at the time of carrying in question, in order to carry within 1000 feet of a school, aside from the laws exceptions such as private property.

This is not a law which is often enforced, but that doesn't mean it won't happen if some cop decides to be an angry jerk. If you choose to disregard it, as the vast majority of people do while CCing in another state under a permit or licenses reciprocity agreements, you would be much less likely to have trouble while CCing under a license from your home state than OCing under just any license, because it's likely you'd be legal if stopped, and it's already unlikely you'd be stopped since you'd be CCing.

I am not trying to directly advocate violation of the GFSZA, but these are the facts.

xmanhockey7

Don't forget the federal gun free school zones act. Because of that vile piece of treasonous garbage, you must have a license from the state you are in at the time of carrying in question, in order to carry within 1000 feet of a school, aside from the laws exceptions such as private property.

This is not a law which is often enforced, but that doesn't mean it won't happen if some cop decides to be an angry jerk. If you choose to disregard it, as the vast majority of people do while CCing in another state under a permit or licenses reciprocity agreements, you would be much less likely to have trouble while CCing under a license from your home state than OCing under just any license, because it's likely you'd be legal if stopped, and it's already unlikely you'd be stopped since you'd be CCing.

I am not trying to directly advocate violation of the GFSZA, but these are the facts.

It's worth noting you must knowingly be within 1,000 feet of a school.

PDinDetroit

Show me a single case where someone has been prosecuted for this (Federal GFSZ) as a stand-alone crime.

I have seen a list of persons prosecuted of this and IIRC some of them may have been "Stand-Alone"... I will search to see if I can find that posting...