• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan OC

Evil Creamsicle

Q, whether it is or is not regularly enforced is irrelevant. What is important is that it 'could' be... and as a community that focuses on the importance of events that are rare but possible, Michigander's is good advice to follow.

Aside from the GFSZA though, it seems like you might be well advised to apply for both permits.

Michigander

Exactly, evil. We tread on thin ice, because so many mid western cops get into the business for all the wrong reasons, and become angered when they realize that their gun, their stupid little manhood badge they devoted their working lives to being able to carry openly, was actually a right that everyone has without the hassle they put themselves through.

Before Q got involved, back in 09, I for one had an interaction where the cops were going back and forth talking about if they could press charges under the GFSZA. Later on, perhaps due to it becoming better known that the PP is a "license to carry" satisfying the GFSZA, it hasn't come up since that I've heard. But do you really think that a douche bag cop who knows the laws wouldn't charge someone with an out of state license? Just think of the recent Birmingham incident. They don't even have a real law to charge him under!

Even now, there are bully cops all over much of our state. You certainly know this, Q. And when they feel their professionally derived masculinity is at stake, provided they don't think their actions will get them fired, they will do anything and everything they can to railroad you. Advising someone to knowingly put themselves in harms way, it's completely insane.

Last edited:

TheQ

Certain parties (while lobbying) want to get rid of LTP and registration in Michigan. When I bring up GFSZA they ask me to cite a single stand alone case. Please give me one -- because at the Capitol it sounds like I'm whining over nothing to some people.

I know many of you think lobbying and politics is a bunch of ********. You're right, it is. Show me a more effective way to get legislation changed.

If we're following your advise we should advocate no one from our of state carry in a Michigan Metro area. As we know, they have no Michigan issued permit and good luck going through a city of more than 30,000 without passing within 1000' of school grounds. Is that what you advise?

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

A permit to purchase is, as Michigander mentioned, a 'license to carry' for the purposes of GFSZA. For the purposes of the OP though, it has to be a license issued by the state you are carrying in. Michigan residents who have purchased their pistols in Michigan or registered their pistols in Michigan are fine.

If the Permit to Purchase is removed however, those without CPLs will be subject to GFSZA...

TheQ

A permit to purchase is, as Michigander mentioned, a 'license to carry' for the purposes of GFSZA. For the purposes of the OP though, it has to be a license issued by the state you are carrying in. Michigan residents who have purchased their pistols in Michigan or registered their pistols in Michigan are fine.

If the Permit to Purchase is removed however, those without CPLs will be subject to GFSZA...

I know that. But, when I bring up that point I get asked "has there been any cases of someone prosecuted under the FGFZSA as a stand-alone crime?" when that is asked, I don't have an answer. I'm hoping someone here can show me a case.

Evil Creamsicle

I understand your reasoning, but the people who are asking you for the example are using flawed logic. It doesn't matter if it has been used in that way, it only matters that it can, and will be once departments have exhausted other options. I know you know this, but that is how I would reply to the people in question as well.

1245A Defender

well,,,

I know that. But, when I bring up that point I get asked "has there been any cases of someone prosecuted under the FGFZSA as a stand-alone crime?" when that is asked, I don't have an answer. I'm hoping someone here can show me a case.

1 thing about the FGFSZA is that Local/State cops CANT/wont enforce it.
I dont think they can even detain you while calling for a FED to make an arrest.
Ive been told by a highly reguarded retired LEO that the FEDs would tell
a local/state cop to let the GFSZ violater go on his way.

Is there a better forum for the question that would get a national response?

TheQ

Just spoke to Sgt Maikee at the MSP. Short answer, the MSP doesn't enforce Federal Law unless they are working the Federal Agents for a specific reason on a specific case.

xmanhockey7

I know we had an OCer who OCed on school grounds for the 4th of July and an officer tried to get him charged with the GFSZA and said that because the guy had a CPL you could not open carry at all especially on school property. Charges were never filed for anything but I'm betting if he didn't have a Michigan CPL (someone with lets say an Indiana) the Indiana person would have probably been charged for violating the GFSZA.