• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Voting Poll

ryan7068

My voting poll is located at a middle school. Is this a common place for voting polls? In the past, I have never had a poll that was located at a school.

Incedentily this is saying, "you can carry a gun, or you can vote, but you can't do both."

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

The one I vote at is in an elementary school. It's a common thing, in Maine anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TFred

My voting poll is located at a middle school. Is this a common place for voting polls? In the past, I have never had a poll that was located at a school.

Incedentily this is saying, "you can carry a gun, or you can vote, but you can't do both."
Yes, it is an irony not lost on many of us. Not much chance to fix it any time soon, some school districts do not close for election day.

TFred

stickslinger

I past years the voting place in my district has been a local Middle School. Recently they changed to a Charter School. A School is a School and I presume the same rules apply to that as well.

VApatriot

Yes, it is an irony not lost on many of us. Not much chance to fix it any time soon, some school districts do not close for election day.

TFred

At the moment, even if schools are closed for the day, it doesn't change the fact that carry is still banned. However, it may be the case that our best chance to right some of the injustice here is to get state law changed so that we can carry on school grounds when classes are not taking place. It's highly unlikely that we have any possibility of getting more than that in any near future.

Having one right denied in order to exercise another is one of the worst injustices of gun-banning. I believe that it will eventually bring up more questions and lawsuits once the Supreme Court finally rules that "bear arms" means right to carry for self-defense in public. I'm confident that such a ruling will come; I'm just hoping that they don't fill their ruling with a bunch of qualifications.

In the interim, I've thought of trying to push a bill in the General Assembly that would require polling places to respect the right to carry. If we could get that to pass, then it might force a chance to allow carry on school grounds, since it would probably be hard to find enough alternative polling places. Of course, that very same fact could probably prevent such a bill from passing in the first place, but it would be worth a try.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
At one time there were noises made about wearing shirts espousing RKBA while voting in schools - got that one resolved w/o going to court - 1st Amendment right argument was successful. Think that ProShooter was involved with that if memory serves me.

Meanwhile when voting, I simply OC an empty holster - never had a problem.

Come July 1, 2012 we will be able to use a CHP for voter identification.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=121&typ=bil&val=sb663

ryan7068

VCDL Response.

Thanks in advance for that donation!

I, too, vote at a school. Some of the lucky ones get to vote at a church or other gun-friendly zone.

What we need to do is to make at least carry with a CHP legal in buildings when school is not in session or make an exception for voting. I think CHP holders should be allowed to carry at schools at all times, but that might take longer to get.

Philip

On Apr 26, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Ryan Pursley wrote:

> Mr. Van Cleave,
>
> I am a VCDL member and while I haven't had a the time to travel to attend a meeting, I have volunteered locally at gun shows in the Hampton Roads area. I also am a senior at ODU and commend you on the decision to back the most marketable strategy of concealed carry on campus. Open carry is just a little too much for some, unfortunately. In any case, I hadn't thought too much into it for the past three years that I have been carying but election time is soon coming. My voting poll is located in a middle school which you know is "protected" *wink*wink by the the federal GFSZA. While it may only be incedental, I feel that it is unconstitutional as well as being a vicious stain on the election process. It is the celebration of democracy and freedom while limiting myself and others in both. Has this ever been brought up? I'm not certain of how these locations are chosen, but I feel a simple push for a policy change as a subtitute for seeking damages may be one way. Thank you for you time.
>
> P.S. Well played on the Wronghaven scandal! You will be recieving a donation from me shortl

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..in any case I believe its the mose feasible response and I will do whatever I can to support it in years coming. Thanks for the responses all.