• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Park?

Jonathan Hoff

A few weeks ago I was told by a police officer that it is illegal to OC in parks in Arvada or jefferson county. I wasn't given a ticket because he said im not the type of people there out for and just a lesson I guess?

so is oc in a park that has no signs saying you cant OC or have a weapon ect. be against the law?

also I was in my truck which would be considered private property correct.

just wondering.

Semper,

JamesB

According to the info you've given here (Jefferson County, Arvada, public park, in vehicle) you were completely legal and he was dead wrong about 9 different ways.

About the only way this would have been close to illegal is if the park was under the supervision of Denver Parks and Rec. I just found one of those up in Genosee this last weekend.

Deserteagle8338

If that happened to me, I would have dared him to write me a ticket. Seems like he needs to find a new type of work. You should have got his badge number and filed a complaint against him for being ignorant of Colorado law.

He didnt write you a ticket because there was no ticket he could write you.

Jonathan Hoff

Ok thats what I was thinking. I new he had to be wrong but I didn't give him any trouble. I had a M&P15 in the back seat and he said that was fine because it was out of reach, he did mention he was in the army for 27 years and retired and that the Marines were always causing trouble.

oh well it only killed like 20 min of time so I at least got to charge my cell phone.

aadvark

To ALL Whom are Concerned:

The Colorado Legislature Enacted Colorado Code 29-11.7-104 in 2003. This Code Section Authorizes Local Governmental Units in Colorado to Enact an Ordinance Specifically Prohibiting Open Carry within a Certain Building or Area under The Local Governments' Control. The Law can be found here: http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

Arvada, Colorado Enacted a Local Ordinance Pursuant to The Authority Vested to it under Colorado Law 29-11.7-104, as Cited. The Ordinance is Ordinance No.: 62-71, and is Viewable here: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=19934

Additionally, Arvadas' Website Contains The Following Information: http://arvada.org/about-arvada/guns

aadvark

*** Fortunately..., Colorado REQUIRES Concealed Carry Licensees to be able to Carry a Concealed Handgun ANYWHERE within Colorado such Persons Please EXCEPT Schools for Children AND Places Off-Limits under United States Federal Law (such as Post Offices, Areas of Airports beyond The Area where The TSA Operates Security Screening, and Federal Buildings Owned and Operated by The United States Federal Government). ***

Last edited:

RLCbushpilot

According to the state law posted above the Arvada municipal code is not enforceable unless there are signs posted at every entrance to the building or specific area. If the OP is correct the city has not posted the areas. How do you post hiking trails and green belts and every entrance to a park?!

porterhouse83

According to the state law posted above the Arvada municipal code is not enforceable unless there are signs posted at every entrance to the building or specific area. If the OP is correct the city has not posted the areas. How do you post hiking trails and green belts and every entrance to a park?!

You don't.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Also I was in my truck which would be considered private property correct.

Correct. It's considered an extension of your home under Colorado State Law. There is no such thing as "OC inside a vehicle," even if it's visible, and as such is the justification you can use to drive through Denver carrying in a holster on your hip with impunity. I drive to/from the airport 6 times a year, minimum, carrying on my hip. I'm just careful to remove my holster and store it sight unseen before disembarking from the vehicle!

Half Live

Ok thats what I was thinking. I new he had to be wrong but I didn't give him any trouble. I had a M&P15 in the back seat and he said that was fine because it was out of reach, he did mention he was in the army for 27 years and retired and that the Marines were always causing trouble.

oh well it only killed like 20 min of time so I at least got to charge my cell phone.

What the hell is he talking about. You can have a rifle on the dash and it would be fine as long as there is no round in the chamber

aadvark

I have NOT been to Arvada, Colorado.

Therefore, I can neither Confirm or Deny that They have Posted The Prohibitions as to Colorado Code 29-11.7-104.

However, I Agree with Others Using My Better Judgement that They have NOT Posted such Public Park Property.

aadvark

mahkagari

I have NOT been to Arvada, Colorado.

Therefore, I can neither Confirm or Deny that They have Posted The Prohibitions as to Colorado Code 29-11.7-104.

Also to whom it may concern:

I have been to Arvada. Lived there for a few years in my adolescence and pre-bohemian days. But I can neither confirm nor deny such postings.

Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run
Took the hand of a village maiden
and we made love in the sun
Oh, I've been to Nice and the isle of Greece
when I sipped champagne on a yacht
I moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo
and showed them what I've got
I've been to paradise but I've never been to me...