• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the N. Chesterfield area

Michele

Hi folks!

I'm new to the N. Chesterfield area in a temporary (hopefully permanent) residence.

I'm originally from NYC (46) years and spent the last 5 years as a resident of northwestern PA.

Right now, I'm still a PA resident and hold a valid PA LTCF which I know is good here in VA.

I open carry as well as conceal carry, it all depends on my mood and circumstances. I've got a couple of handguns as well as a 12 gauge shotgun (I love trap) and a smoking AR-15. :)

Does anyone know if I can shoot here in VA with a valid PA license. I'd like to get to a range, maybe even become a member locally (providing I like the range) using my PA license for right now. I intend to get a VA non (as soon as I get back up to my PA house for my certificate) as well as a FL or UT.

I look forward to making some new friends here in VA, 2A friendly of course!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard. :D

Ranges do not ask if you have a permit. No permit is required to OC in VA, not even in a vehicle or a restaurant.

Excellent short thread w/attachments on overview of VA gun laws.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...pen-Carry-Flyers-amp-Information-Cards-STICKY

Take the time to sign up for the free email Va-Alert - good method to stay current on laws and what is happening throughout the state.

Consider too joining VCDL - best small investment in freedom and the RKBA you'll ever make.

We have an OC dinner on the 2nd Tuesday of each month and an OC breakfast (smaller group normally) each Saturday - check them out, look for stickies.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That was a refreshing first post Michele. Welcome to Virginia!
Grapeshot already covered everything else.:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another "Welcome" to OCDO, as well as to North Chesterfield (how come none of the Post Offices are labled as such?) and Virginia. Hope you end up a permanent resident.

As has already been mentioned, you do not need a permit to shoot at any range. Some require NRA membership in order to become a member of the range - that's about the only requirement I can think of.

I am not sure if the State Police will agree with your contention that you are not a VA resident, unless you are here on military orders. If you have been here 60 days you must get a VA DL. They will probably use that to insist you get a resident CHP if you decide to get one from VA. But as you have noted, your PA LTCF is good here - and there is no need to have one in any city if you are OCing. (Take that, Philly!:p)
[h=2]http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/eligibility.asp[/h]
New ResidentsWithin 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver's license. However, if you hold a commercial driver's license (CDL), you must obtain a Virginia CDL within 30 days.

On the other hand, the State Board of Elections consideres you a resident as soon as you get here, unless you plan on voting in another state. http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/cms/Voter_Information/Registering_to_Vote/Index.html It's just part of the sweet smell of (relative) freedom we enjoy.

If I may be so bold as to ask - what happened after 46 years in NYC to change you into not only a gun owner but an OCer?

stay safe.

riverrat10k

Welcome, Michele.

We may run across each other sometime as you are in my neck of the woods.

OT query: If you only rent your abode, have only a PO box, and travel around in your mobile home, do you have to be a resident of any state? Thinkin property taxes and income taxes here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- I intend to get a VA non (as soon as I get back up to my PA house for my certificate) as well as a FL or UT.

I look forward to making some new friends here in VA, 2A friendly of course!

It would be cheaper (half the price) and less involved to just get your VA permit - your certificate should not be required in either instance. Your state approved ID (think DMV) would need to be relevant.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome, Michele.

We may run across each other sometime as you are in my neck of the woods.

OT query: If you only rent your abode, have only a PO box, and travel around in your mobile home, do you have to be a resident of any state? Thinkin property taxes and income taxes here.

The mobile home will have tags from somewhere RR.
They are the one's that will get you for PP taxes.

The state where the income is earned will want their pound of flesh. I had n employee that tried that and his last state of employment placed a lien his paycheck here. It's hard to get around the blood sucking SOB's.:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The state where the income is earned will want their pound of flesh. I had n employee that tried that and his last state of employment placed a lien his paycheck here. It's hard to get around the blood sucking SOB's.:uhoh:

Gypsy barn painters and driveway pavers do all right...........................for a while.
http://tinyurl.com/cnbbq9a

TFred

Friends of mine retired, sold their house, bought an RV and now live on the road, stopping for a few days at a time at RV campgrounds. They recently found themselves back in this area for a few days and I asked him about this very thing.

He said that South Dakota is RV friendly, to the point that they encourage full time RV'ers to set up legal residency there, most often using one of many mail forwarding services as their physical address. It's really just a small office or even a house with a big box or wall full of tacked up envelopes to receive the mail that comes in for them there. Every few days or weeks, the owners of each envelope calls or e-mails an address where they can forward the current mail to.

Apparently South Dakota has no income tax, and very low taxes otherwise as well.

I suppose it must be legal, or it wouldn't be an industry there.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Friends of mine retired, sold their house, bought an RV and now live on the road, stopping for a few days at a time at RV campgrounds. They recently found themselves back in this area for a few days and I asked him about this very thing.

He said that South Dakota is RV friendly, to the point that they encourage full time RV'ers to set up legal residency there, most often using one of many mail forwarding services as their physical address. It's really just a small office or even a house with a big box or wall full of tacked up envelopes to receive the mail that comes in for them there. Every few days or weeks, the owners of each envelope calls or e-mails an address where they can forward the current mail to.

Apparently South Dakota has no income tax, and very low taxes otherwise as well.

TFred

That's interesting information TFred...
Thanks!:cool:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

TFred

W/O reservation, South Dakota is sacred land, koda.

jsk9b4.jpg

riverrat10k

Thanks guys!
Now, back on topic.

Welcome to the area, again, Michele!

If you wish, you may post your daily experiences on the Open Carry in Richmond thread here in the Virginia forum. Let us know where you carry.

Last edited:

Michele

I'm going to try and answer all the questions without having to quote everyone.

My dream was for greener pastures I always liked Pennsylvania, its beauty and its freedoms. I left a bad marriage and decided that Pennsylvania was the place for me. I saved my money, got a small divorce settlement and bought my house. After living there for 5 years I decided that snow relocation was a full time job and not something I wanted to pursue as a career choice. I do like snow however, living in the Pennsylvania snow belt is a whole different world. Now that I'm getting older, weather has become a factor. I'm pretty pleased with the weather here in freedom filled Virginia. My German Shepherd misses the snow however, having an acre and a half completely fenced in for him is a pretty good trade I think.

I've taken a year lease here in N. Chesterfield to give myself some time to see if Virginia is the place I would like to reside in permanently. So far, so good.

I was a little apprehensive about giving up my Pennsylvania residency. The thought of changing everything over gives me a big headache. Besides, I like that Pennsylvania has only one license plate allowing me have a front vanity plate of our "Stars and Bars" with "MOLON LABE" (in semi-Greek) written in gold across it.

I'm aware of the 60 day residency issue. I'm only a renter here in Virginia, I'm an owner in Pennsylvania. So I'm still on the fence on what I want to do. I shouldn't be forced to "pick a resident state". I am a law abiding American citizen (natural born) and that should be good enough. I'm funny about certain things. I'm especially funny about the government monitoring my whereabouts or telling me I need to choose a residence. I'm paying my own bills, not asking for government/state aid or a handout so who's business is it where I hang my hat and for how long. And what if I decide to stay past my 60 days without reporting myself? Are they going to kick me out of the state?

Pennsylvania does not require any type of class or range time to get your LTCF (license to carry firearms), its a shall issue state. I did for my own, take a class in 2008 with my son. My certificate is at my home in Pennsylvania so I asked the institute to send me a copy here. It finally came just today. Now, I'm going to apply for my Virginia non. Along with that, I'm going to investigate the Utah and Florida. I was told that the Utah is a better deal when renewing and doesn't require getting fingerprinted again on renewal. My question was; if I am a Pennsylvania resident can I take the Utah or Florida here in Virginia rather than going back up to Pennsylvania?

I haven't had any major issues open carrying here in Virginia. I did have a minor encounter with a statie in Wawa. I went to grab a cup of coffee (I have a very severe addiction to Wawa coffee) and went up to the line. When I got to the register, the perky young lady asked me if there would be anything else. My reply "yeah, 2 packs of Marlboro Blue 100's please". Now, remember, I'm originally from NYC, and my speech is Brooklynese at its purest. In my right ear, quietly the statie says "I'm going to have to see your license for that firearm". My reply "sure, lets step outside". I didn't want to attract attention in the Wawa. We step outside and I walk to my car. He gazes down at my front plate but says nothing. I go into my wallet and hand him my LTCF. His eyes widen and he says "this is Pennsylvania" to which I reply, "yup, I'm from Pennsylvania". He apologizes for detaining me, using the excuse that my speech pattern was NYC and how much trouble the mayor of NYC is giving the gun states. He stated that I was good here and I should enjoy my stay in Virginia. I wished him a good safe day. As we parted, he tipped his hat which I thought was ultra classy, and gave me a MOLON LABE. All in all a good encounter.

I'm thinking, right now, I'll continue to open carry my revolver. I don't want to attract attention by carrying my XD. Oh, let me enlighten you, I'm Michele, proud owner of Pennsylvania's famous PINK XD.

I'll be watching the stickies for the breakfasts and dinners. I look forward to mixing with 2A folks.

TFred

I haven't had any major issues open carrying here in Virginia. I did have a minor encounter with a statie in Wawa. I went to grab a cup of coffee (I have a very severe addiction to Wawa coffee) and went up to the line. When I got to the register, the perky young lady asked me if there would be anything else. My reply "yeah, 2 packs of Marlboro Blue 100's please". Now, remember, I'm originally from NYC, and my speech is Brooklynese at its purest. In my right ear, quietly the statie says "I'm going to have to see your license for that firearm". My reply "sure, lets step outside". I didn't want to attract attention in the Wawa. We step outside and I walk to my car. He gazes down at my front plate but says nothing. I go into my wallet and hand him my LTCF. His eyes widen and he says "this is Pennsylvania" to which I reply, "yup, I'm from Pennsylvania". He apologizes for detaining me, using the excuse that my speech pattern was NYC and how much trouble the mayor of NYC is giving the gun states. He stated that I was good here and I should enjoy my stay in Virginia. I wished him a good safe day. As we parted, he tipped his hat which I thought was ultra classy, and gave me a MOLON LABE. All in all a good encounter.
Are you saying you were razzed because the VSP officer thought you were from New York?

The proper response to "I'm going to have to see your license for that firearm," when you are openly carrying would be "What license would you be referring to, officer?"

TFred

mk4

Are you saying you were razzed because the VSP officer thought you were from New York?

The proper response to "I'm going to have to see your license for that firearm," when you are openly carrying would be "What license would you be referring to, officer?"

TFred

winner winner chicken dinner!

Michele

I'm aware of the "none of your business" law here in Virginia regarding open carry. ;)

I'm sure I was being profiled because of my speech. Ordinarily I would have been insulted with anyone asking for "my papers" however, given the current situation with the dictator of NYC going hog wild targeting the 2A friendly states with his poison, I understood the officers position. He was respectful, and I responded in kind.

Now, the woman at the airport Wawa asking me for ID for a couple of packs of cigarettes.....that was a whole different story! I refused to have my ID scanned. Its none of anyone's business how much I smoke! Unfortunately, there, I turned on the NYC charm!

I was also asked by a little snot (I have milk and bread older than her) at the Hundred Road Wawa for ID when buying cigarettes. I laughed at her! The manager turns around to her and says "little girl, don't be ridiculous". Now she gives me free coffee.

Yeah, I'm over 18, like 32 1/2 years over 18. :(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm aware of the "none of your business" law here in Virginia regarding open carry. ;)

I'm sure I was being profiled because of my speech. Ordinarily I would have been insulted with anyone asking for "my papers" however, given the current situation with the dictator of NYC going hog wild targeting the 2A friendly states with his poison, I understood the officers position. He was respectful, and I responded in kind.

Now, the woman at the airport Wawa asking me for ID for a couple of packs of cigarettes.....that was a whole different story! I refused to have my ID scanned. Its none of anyone's business how much I smoke! Unfortunately, there, I turned on the NYC charm!

I was also asked by a little snot (I have milk and bread older than her) at the Hundred Road Wawa for ID when buying cigarettes. I laughed at her! The manager turns around to her and says "little girl, don't be ridiculous". Now she gives me free coffee.

Yeah, I'm over 18, like 32 1/2 years over 18. :(

You will fit right in, we have a few other young- uns in the group.:lol: