• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bank

scot623

Thanks guys.

FWIW, I spoke to the girls mother yesterday, explained what happened, and she said that it was a load of crap. The person pushing this wasnt even a parent of the girl that was hurt, just a witness. A 4 year old witness. The police were pushing for a felony and restitution, which the mother of the girl who got hurt was against. She is also against the no contact restriction imposed by the court.

You took a plea, lost your CPL because of a...wait for it...4 YEAR OLD CHILD'S WITNESS STATEMENT TO THE POLICE?!?!?! Wow. You have a career as a lawyer waiting for you.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
What felonies did I commit today? Let see, I went to work, gave an honest days labor, drove home, went out with friends, etc. What felonies are we talking about here??? I even paid for my lunch and dinner with my debit card……not my welfare card as I have none. Note to others I don't have a welfare card as I chose to work.

due to the extraordinary number and vagueness of federal law, there is a very real possibility that given enough time, a prosecutor could find SOMETHING to pin on you.

interesting piece on how everything has been made illegal in our police state of a country:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMhapZrqvdg

more here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842.html

and here's a whole book about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594032556

budlight

due to the extraordinary number and vagueness of federal law, there is a very real possibility that given enough time, a prosecutor could find SOMETHING to pin on you.

interesting piece on how everything has been made illegal in our police state of a country:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMhapZrqvdg

more here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842.html

and here's a whole book about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594032556

Good point! Also great video link.

stainless1911

Banned
You obviously took a snipe at my welfare card again. Like it makes me soooo much money. I ran out of food stamps last week, and they wont renew until the 8th of the month, its just so good sitting on my @$$ and collecting the luxuries of your hard work.

budlight

You obviously took a snipe at my welfare card again. Like it makes me soooo much money. I ran out of food stamps last week, and they wont renew until the 8th of the month, its just so good sitting on my @$$ and collecting the luxuries of your hard work.

???? I don't recall taking a snipe on YOUR welfare card in the past nor was I referring to you. I was commenting on my day how I did not commit any felonies. Go back and read what I replied to.......the comment on most people commit 3 felonies a day. Some types of welfare fraud can be charged as a felony. I have no problem with people who are down on their luck getting short term welfare. The problem I have is with able bodied people who choose to make it a way of life. Welfare fraud is a huge problem in this state and it really irritates me when I see people using multiple bridge cards, buying better cuts of meat them myself, and driving a 2012 model vehicle.

rvd4now

Open or Concealed carry is legal in regular banks.

Noun 1. depository financial institution - a financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities; "he cashed a check at the bank"; "that bank holds the mortgage on my home

so i dont understand were in the law it says a regular bank is open to concealed carry..

MCL 750.234d

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
when u look up bank i get "depository financial institution - a financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities"

this is the question that know one has answered ...

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

rvd4now

thank u i now have a better understanding i never notice it was missing for 28.425o..

Seeing as how the postings might seem a little confusing this is how it work...and I added the links to the MCLs in case you wanted to read more.

Without having a CPL:

MCL 750.234d

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(x4...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-234d

With a CPL while carrying concealed

MCL 28.425o

(a) A school or school property

(b) A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child caring institution, or public or private child placing agency.

(c) A sports arena or stadium

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises.

(e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals

(g) A hospital

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dz...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-425o

So...the first post MCL 750.234d only concerns someone who DOES NOT have a MI CPL, the areas listed in the statute are off limits to possession not just carry. Some would suggest not having it in your vehicle in the parking lot to avoid any possible complications.

Once you have a CPL MCL 750.234d does not apply to you because the statute tells you you are exempt. Since this statute does not limit the type of possession of a firearm by someone with a CPL, carrying, be it open or concealed, or in a vehicle, youre free to carry the gun as you please. Open or concealed. So carrying in a bank openly or concealed is fine once you have a CPL.

Moving on to MCL 28.425o, this lists where the carrying of a concealed weapon is prohibited to CPL holders. A couple of things here, the first, if you compare the off limits locations to that of 750.234d you will notice that ONLY 750.234d lists A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution. Second, 28.425o does not mention the same, therefore it is not illegal to carry concealed into your local bank branch.

rvd4now

Didn't you get into a dust up about carrying on a college campus? You should know the firearm laws forward and backward. If not, you shouldn't be carrying yet.

hey didnt u get in a dust up on fox 2..

that required u to step down...

i know the laws very well, and was just asking a basic question: your right in COLLEGE I LEARNED THAT THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS, please take the time to vist one and become educated ur self.

Last edited:

autosurgeon

hey didnt u get in a dust up on fox 2..

that required u to step down...

i know the laws very well, and was just asking a basic question: your right in COLLEGE I LEARNED THAT THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS, please thank the time to vist one and become educated ur self.

You have the wrong person..... perhaps a bit more research before you accuse...

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

scot623

even if it is the worng person. they need to do the research and find out wat happen at hfcc

I'm fully aware if your incident at HFCC...you and I spoke on the phone about it. My point is pretty simple, you inquired with campus security about open carry on campus. Why would you do that if you do not know the laws forward and backward? When we spoke, it appeared you understood firearm laws, this thread indicates otherwise. Do some more research, come to the Utica seminar I'm presenting on Monday. Do not make a mistake that can cost you your right to carry.

Yance

I second attending a seminar, even if you understand the laws its always a good refresher. Also if anything has changed lately its a good way to find out. I've helped present seminars and people that have been carrying for years still come and sit in just to make sure they are aware of current laws. Never hurts.

rvd4now

I'm fully aware if your incident at HFCC...you and I spoke on the phone about it. My point is pretty simple, you inquired with campus security about open carry on campus. Why would you do that if you do not know the laws forward and backward? When we spoke, it appeared you understood firearm laws, this thread indicates otherwise. Do some more research, come to the Utica seminar I'm presenting on Monday. Do not make a mistake that can cost you your right to carry.

sry i will not be able to make it, but it always seems that when moc does these seminars there always out side the city limits.

why not do one within the city of detroit.. I think there are a lot of people in the city of detroit that would love to hear your seminar .

Ill be there with bells on and a note pad ready to learn the law..

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Thanks guys.

FWIW, I spoke to the girls mother yesterday, explained what happened, and she said that it was a load of crap. The person pushing this wasnt even a parent of the girl that was hurt, just a witness. A 4 year old witness. The police were pushing for a felony and restitution, which the mother of the girl who got hurt was against. She is also against the no contact restriction imposed by the court.

Please stop "trying a case" where you pled NO CONTEST. It will die quicker this way.

PDinDetroit

even if it is the worng person. they need to do the research and find out wat happen at hfcc

I have heard the audio. You admitted to having a firearm in your vehicle, which is against the HFCC Student Code of Conduct. That alone tells me that you should research and read laws/rules/regulations more often.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST attending the seminar in Utica, your RIGHTS are worth protecting.