Thread: new to oc what should i know?

new to oc what should i know?

I live in westbend Wisconsin. So now you know where I'm at. I don't see many people oc in fact I don't think iv ever even seen anyone do it besides a few of my buddys talk about it. So iv gave it a thought and am considering taking the leap into oc in public. So my first question is a simple one is my side arm alright in my plane Jane blackhawk belt holster? It is in clear sight when looking at me with it on. Also can I have the gun loaded? This is huge on my fear list of trying this and getting busted having a clambered firearm on me. Also if anyone has info on cheap or free cc classes in my area is be interested in going to one of them. Well any help is great so thanks in advance

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome to OCDO newbie. Some of the good people from Wisconsin will be along shortly.

Since such questions as yours are state specific, laws and circumstances will be different, I am moving this to the Wisconsin sub-forum so that it will get the appropriate attention.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thanks I wasn't sure where to post. my laptop took a crap on me, So I'm using my evo much harder to do with a cell then my computer

Hi
    Welcome.
    Yes you can carry a loaded firearm.
    Wisconsin carry will be holding a free cc class this Saturday in Elkhorn( as well as other dates around the state). There is a post about it near the top of the page of Wisconsin threads. Also a tread of what you need to know to get started.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-4-28-noon-4pm

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ou-should-know

well,,,

I wonder if you will be here in this forum for long,,,
    Picking a Moniker of,,, Newbie,, I think,, eh, maybe not, unless you change you name...
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 04-26-2012 at 04:15 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Thanks for the info

Also you will see more of me I'm already liking the sight from a day of looking at it. Come to think of it I haven't even been on the car forum all day lol

Also the name just shows everyone how new I am of oc/cc
    Last edited by newbie; 04-26-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I wonder if you will be here in this forum for long,,,
    Picking a Moniker of,,, Newbie,, I think,, eh, maybe not, unless you change you name...
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    --snip--
    Also the name just shows everyone how new I am of oc/cc
    Yes, but will you be so new at 500 posts or even 50 - have to admit that would be truly unique.

Problem is that not only are changes of name/user IDs discouraged (because of rules against double registering, hiding who you are, etc), you cannot accomplish such user name change yourself - there is not such an edit function available to you. Essentially, only our administrator can do that and with over 28K members you can imagine the difficulty if only a small percentage of people wanted to do so. Normally it takes a very good, valid reason to get such a request honored and even that is not guaranteed.

People frequently choose user/screen names that reflect something important to them, hobbies, avocations, gun rights, etc - such may provide insight into their background and/or personality. All of that aside - if you desire to change your user/screen name, it might be better done sooner rather than later so as to not complicate the issue.

Let me know and I will make your case for you - best explanation that I can think of is that you are a "newbie"...
    Please give it some considerable thought first and let me know by PM what your wishes are.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Would encourage you to take advantage of any and all education - can't have to much training. Take note of the free classes to which oldschool refers above.

Face time with like minded people is worth more than weeks of reading/research through shared knowledge and experiences - internet acquaintances become friends. Look also for meet n' greet events (dinners, picnics, coffee at Starbucks) near you.

Welcome aboard.
    Yes, you can carry with the pistol loaded (except in the 4 "protected" areas if you don't have a license, in which case you can't carry at all*).
    *(Don't confuse her about the "tavern" issue just yet!)

Yes, having it in a holster is OK. AFAIK there's never been a case where some cop or DA tried to argue that the holster covered part of the pistol, therefore it was 'concealed'. (The way the jury instructions are written, though, it's possible.)

Take a drive to Elkhorn this Sat. for the free class which will get you started on what you need to know to carry in WI, & you can get a cc license. Lots of opportunities available for practical training.

There are people in the West Bend area if you'd like to attend (or set up!) a meet-n-greet or just have a buddy to walk around with the first few times.
    If you like fish fry & want to be around other OCers at the same time, every other Fri. there's a group that meets in Kansasville (SSW of Milwaukee).
    The first Sunday of every month there's a Starbuck's meet-n-greet in Delavan.

See the thread in the stickies at the top of the WI forum which is titled (conveniently) "New to OC in WI? Here's what you should know". That has LOTS of information, & should take you several days to wade through, depending on what else you have to do.

Especially be sure to take time to watch the video on YouTube titled "Don't talk to police". It's about 45 minutes & worth re-watching every few months. The first part is a law professor (former criminal defense attorney) talking at warp speed, the second part is a law student who is/was also a LEO explaining why everything the professor just said is true.

There's a "legal" tab on www.wisconsincarry.org where you can see most of the relevant statutes. Here's where you can look things up yourself, to be sure you're getting good information.

www.handgunlaw.us is a good resource. They have PDFs for each state, & in that document are links to the state info websites so you can check info yourself.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 04-26-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I'll think of something for the name change , as for the class that is coming up I would love to go but unfortunately I won't be able to I'm stuck baby sitting my brothers two kids while he's out of town for his birthday. Also I'd love to meet up with others in my area, also is the class list always updating? Or is it like a one time deal? I would love to go to one. Since to attend a class here at west bend fleet farm I was told it cost around $200 for two 8 hour classes to receive a cc license excluding state additional fee

I'll think of something for the name change , as for the class that is coming up I would love to go but unfortunately I won't be able to I'm stuck baby sitting my brothers two kids while he's out of town for his birthday. Also I'd love to meet up with others in my area, also is the class list always updating? Or is it like a one time deal? I would love to go to one. Since to attend a class here at west bend fleet farm I was told it cost around $200 for two 8 hour classes to receive a cc license excluding state additional fee
    Update'...............

Today I took a leap and was fealing brave, so I woke up got dressed and holstered my sidearm. I first go outside getting a feel for what the people in my condo think about it. Not one of the people who walked past said anything to me. Now going to the gas station was another story I had a few people asking me why I am armed and a few nasty stares. No cops called on me thank god, is it just a thing to be getting used to? Is it because im a younger male? Im some what used to being stared down due to having alot of ink on my skin. But is this rven more of a reason for people to evil eye me? When a older man asked why I was armed I simply said because I was scaring away bad guys. Dont ask it was the first thing that popped in my head. What do you guys/gals say when asked?

When asked by other people, I always say it is for MY (mine and mine alone) protection.

Also, if you want someone to carry with: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-a-first-timer
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I feel you best put it back in the case for a while. Get some training and practice.!!!!
    The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
    The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose!

Quote Originally Posted by theoicarry View Post
    I feel you best put it back in the case for a while. Get some training and practice.!!!!
    I know my gun well I go shooting at least once a month and always carry it in my house just to get used to the idea. The practice I only need is getting used to oc outside of the home

As for training im always open to learn more/new things

I know my gun well I go shooting at least once a month and always carry it in my house just to get used to the idea. The practice I only need is getting used to oc outside of the home

As for training im always open to learn more/new things
    You're doing fine - just the first time jitters. Try to hook up with an experienced OCer - it'll help the process and you'll pick up to ideas/hints too.

Don't let what the sheep think of you keep you from carrying. Sounds like you're pushing forward. Also sounds like you are very familiar with shooting and your firearm, that's good. Scaring bad guys around is good, but in my opinion, saying simply "because I can, and to protect my family/self" could be more effective too.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Since you can't come tomorrow, you can come 5/19 to the FREE CCL class in Elkhorn: http://www.planetreg.com/E4241747217669

If that doesn't work, keep checking http://www.dwave.net/~phred/Records.html as it has the latest schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Since you can't come tomorrow, you can come 5/19 to the FREE CCL class in Elkhorn: http://www.planetreg.com/E4241747217669

If that doesn't work, keep checking http://www.dwave.net/~phred/Records.html as it has the latest schedule.
    Thank you I should for sure be able to make it to that one how do I sign up? And what should I be bringing with me?

Edit* I figured it out
    Last edited by newbie; 04-27-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Thank you I should for sure be able to make it to that one how do I sign up? And what should I be bringing with me?
    Click on the link in the message and it will be self-explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Click on the link in the message and it will be self-explanatory.
    Right as I edited the post I seen yours. Thanks for the info. How long is the class itself?

Right as I edited the post I seen yours. Thanks for the info. How long is the class itself?
    How about you click on the link and then ask any questions about the class that aren't in the link that tell you about the class?

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    to attend a class here at west bend fleet farm I was told it cost around $200 for two 8 hour classes to receive a cc license excluding state additional fee
    Good grief! That's a long time & lot of money to spend. Does it include range time, ammo, & pistol? Do they give you the statute text & number of the laws they discuss so you can check the info yourself?

And if that's the "E2C" outfit, avoid them. I've heard some bad things about them from students who were regretting losing money to them, after taking just the free WCI class. Stick with local people who have a reputation to maintain. Those out-of-state instructors have frequently taught wrong information, based on the laws of their state, which confuses WI citizens.

[Yellow Cat counts as a local, even though he doesn't live in WI right now. He used to live here & he owns property here & he's up on our laws. Watch to see when he'll be back in state & what he'll be teaching. Highly recommended by many people here.]

I have tentative arrangements with someone up your way to teach the NRA Basic Pistol class in the next month or so, which is supposed to take 8 hours including 1 at a range.
    If you want to arrange your own class, I come to wherever your group wants to meet (min. 5 people), & I've started offering $20 off any of my classes for anyone who's taken the WCI free class. (No, you can't double-dip discounts.)

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    Im some what used to being stared down due to having alot of ink on my skin.
    But is this rven more of a reason for people to evil eye me?
    Talk to motofixxer & scorpiovette about being heavily tattooed & other people's perceptions.
    Actually, it's kinda funny... when we're doing a meet-n-greet, breakfast, whatever, almost every time someone asks Brian if he's some sort of government agent.
    The only thing we think he looks like is an undercover DEA guy.

What do you guys/gals say when asked?
    Depends on what mood I'm in. Generally I'll start with "self-protection".

Depending on their attitude, I might throw in "do you vote*? do people ask you to justify why you vote?"
    [Used a variation on that with a reporter once... "do people question why you use your First Amendment rights to do your job?"]
    * or meet with friends for coffee, or write your Congressman, or go to church... pick any fairly non-controversial civil right.

"Education & public awareness" generally round out the list that most people are willing to hold still for.

I've only carried a pistol to make a statement one day, when we were protesting in support of Protias.
    I've carried an orange training pistol or empty holster to make a statement many times.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 04-27-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Welcome aboard, as already been mentioned I compiled a pretty expansive list of info geared towards newbies like yourself. I would encourage you to check it out http://tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 04-28-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info