• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to oc what should i know?

I live in westbend Wisconsin. So now you know where I'm at. I don't see many people oc in fact I don't think iv ever even seen anyone do it besides a few of my buddys talk about it. So iv gave it a thought and am considering taking the leap into oc in public. So my first question is a simple one is my side arm alright in my plane Jane blackhawk belt holster? It is in clear sight when looking at me with it on. Also can I have the gun loaded? This is huge on my fear list of trying this and getting busted having a clambered firearm on me. Also if anyone has info on cheap or free cc classes in my area is be interested in going to one of them. Well any help is great so thanks in advance

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO newbie. Some of the good people from Wisconsin will be along shortly.

Since such questions as yours are state specific, laws and circumstances will be different, I am moving this to the Wisconsin sub-forum so that it will get the appropriate attention.

Thanks I wasn't sure where to post. my laptop took a crap on me, So I'm using my evo much harder to do with a cell then my computer

oldschool

Thanks for the info

Also you will see more of me I'm already liking the sight from a day of looking at it. Come to think of it I haven't even been on the car forum all day lol

Also the name just shows everyone how new I am of oc/cc

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wonder if you will be here in this forum for long,,,
Picking a Moniker of,,, Newbie,, I think,, eh, maybe not, unless you change you name...

--snip--
Also the name just shows everyone how new I am of oc/cc

Yes, but will you be so new at 500 posts or even 50 - have to admit that would be truly unique.

Problem is that not only are changes of name/user IDs discouraged (because of rules against double registering, hiding who you are, etc), you cannot accomplish such user name change yourself - there is not such an edit function available to you. Essentially, only our administrator can do that and with over 28K members you can imagine the difficulty if only a small percentage of people wanted to do so. Normally it takes a very good, valid reason to get such a request honored and even that is not guaranteed.

People frequently choose user/screen names that reflect something important to them, hobbies, avocations, gun rights, etc - such may provide insight into their background and/or personality. All of that aside - if you desire to change your user/screen name, it might be better done sooner rather than later so as to not complicate the issue.

Let me know and I will make your case for you - best explanation that I can think of is that you are a "newbie"..:p.:lol:
Please give it some considerable thought first and let me know by PM what your wishes are.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would encourage you to take advantage of any and all education - can't have to much training. Take note of the free classes to which oldschool refers above.

Face time with like minded people is worth more than weeks of reading/research through shared knowledge and experiences - internet acquaintances become friends. Look also for meet n' greet events (dinners, picnics, coffee at Starbucks) near you.

MKEgal

Welcome aboard.
Yes, you can carry with the pistol loaded (except in the 4 "protected" areas if you don't have a license, in which case you can't carry at all*).
*(Don't confuse her about the "tavern" issue just yet!)

Yes, having it in a holster is OK. AFAIK there's never been a case where some :cuss: cop or DA tried to argue that the holster covered part of the pistol, therefore it was 'concealed'. (The way the jury instructions are written, though, it's possible.)

Take a drive to Elkhorn this Sat. for the free class which will get you started on what you need to know to carry in WI, & you can get a cc license. Lots of opportunities available for practical training.

There are people in the West Bend area if you'd like to attend (or set up!) a meet-n-greet or just have a buddy to walk around with the first few times.
If you like fish fry & want to be around other OCers at the same time, every other Fri. there's a group that meets in Kansasville (SSW of Milwaukee).
The first Sunday of every month there's a Starbuck's meet-n-greet in Delavan.

See the thread in the stickies at the top of the WI forum which is titled (conveniently) "New to OC in WI? Here's what you should know". That has LOTS of information, & should take you several days to wade through, depending on what else you have to do.

Especially be sure to take time to watch the video on YouTube titled "Don't talk to police". It's about 45 minutes & worth re-watching every few months. The first part is a law professor (former criminal defense attorney) talking at warp speed, the second part is a law student who is/was also a LEO explaining why everything the professor just said is true.

There's a "legal" tab on www.wisconsincarry.org where you can see most of the relevant statutes. Here's where you can look things up yourself, to be sure you're getting good information.

www.handgunlaw.us is a good resource. They have PDFs for each state, & in that document are links to the state info websites so you can check info yourself.

Last edited:

I'll think of something for the name change , as for the class that is coming up I would love to go but unfortunately I won't be able to I'm stuck baby sitting my brothers two kids while he's out of town for his birthday. Also I'd love to meet up with others in my area, also is the class list always updating? Or is it like a one time deal? I would love to go to one. Since to attend a class here at west bend fleet farm I was told it cost around $200 for two 8 hour classes to receive a cc license excluding state additional fee

I'll think of something for the name change , as for the class that is coming up I would love to go but unfortunately I won't be able to I'm stuck baby sitting my brothers two kids while he's out of town for his birthday. Also I'd love to meet up with others in my area, also is the class list always updating? Or is it like a one time deal? I would love to go to one. Since to attend a class here at west bend fleet farm I was told it cost around $200 for two 8 hour classes to receive a cc license excluding state additional fee

Update'...............

Today I took a leap and was fealing brave, so I woke up got dressed and holstered my sidearm. I first go outside getting a feel for what the people in my condo think about it. Not one of the people who walked past said anything to me. Now going to the gas station was another story I had a few people asking me why I am armed and a few nasty stares. No cops called on me thank god, is it just a thing to be getting used to? Is it because im a younger male? Im some what used to being stared down due to having alot of ink on my skin. But is this rven more of a reason for people to evil eye me? When a older man asked why I was armed I simply said because I was scaring away bad guys. Dont ask it was the first thing that popped in my head. What do you guys/gals say when asked?

I feel you best put it back in the case for a while. Get some training and practice.!!!!

I know my gun well I go shooting at least once a month and always carry it in my house just to get used to the idea. The practice I only need is getting used to oc outside of the home

As for training im always open to learn more/new things

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know my gun well I go shooting at least once a month and always carry it in my house just to get used to the idea. The practice I only need is getting used to oc outside of the home

As for training im always open to learn more/new things

You're doing fine - just the first time jitters. Try to hook up with an experienced OCer - it'll help the process and you'll pick up to ideas/hints too.

xenophon

Don't let what the sheep think of you keep you from carrying. Sounds like you're pushing forward. Also sounds like you are very familiar with shooting and your firearm, that's good. Scaring bad guys around is good, but in my opinion, saying simply "because I can, and to protect my family/self" could be more effective too.

Last edited: