• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to oc what should i know?

MKEgal

newbie said:
to attend a class here at west bend fleet farm I was told it cost around $200 for two 8 hour classes to receive a cc license excluding state additional fee
Good grief! That's a long time & lot of money to spend. Does it include range time, ammo, & pistol? Do they give you the statute text & number of the laws they discuss so you can check the info yourself?

And if that's the "E2C" outfit, avoid them. I've heard some bad things about them from students who were regretting losing money to them, after taking just the free WCI class. Stick with local people who have a reputation to maintain. Those out-of-state instructors have frequently taught wrong information, based on the laws of their state, which confuses WI citizens.

[Yellow Cat counts as a local, even though he doesn't live in WI right now. He used to live here & he owns property here & he's up on our laws. Watch to see when he'll be back in state & what he'll be teaching. Highly recommended by many people here.]

I have tentative arrangements with someone up your way to teach the NRA Basic Pistol class in the next month or so, which is supposed to take 8 hours including 1 at a range.
If you want to arrange your own class, I come to wherever your group wants to meet (min. 5 people), & I've started offering $20 off any of my classes for anyone who's taken the WCI free class. (No, you can't double-dip discounts.)

newbie said:
Im some what used to being stared down due to having alot of ink on my skin.
But is this rven more of a reason for people to evil eye me?
Talk to motofixxer & scorpiovette about being heavily tattooed & other people's perceptions. :rolleyes:
Actually, it's kinda funny... when we're doing a meet-n-greet, breakfast, whatever, almost every time someone asks Brian if he's some sort of government agent. :D
The only thing we think he looks like is an undercover DEA guy.

What do you guys/gals say when asked?
Depends on what mood I'm in. Generally I'll start with "self-protection".

Depending on their attitude, I might throw in "do you vote*? do people ask you to justify why you vote?"
[Used a variation on that with a reporter once... "do people question why you use your First Amendment rights to do your job?"]
* or meet with friends for coffee, or write your Congressman, or go to church... pick any fairly non-controversial civil right.

"Education & public awareness" generally round out the list that most people are willing to hold still for.

I've only carried a pistol to make a statement one day, when we were protesting in support of Protias.
I've carried an orange training pistol or empty holster to make a statement many times. :cuss:

Last edited: