Thread: Vacation from MISSOURI to UTAH Seeking advice

Vacation from MISSOURI to UTAH Seeking advice

I will be making a vacation trip to Utah the end of May I have my Missouri CCW permit can someone give me a run through on the basics of the Utah gun laws that I would likely to run into.

As I understand open carry is allowed other than the federally banned places and since the enactment of carrying in a National park I should be fine there as well right?

I should be traveling Interstate 70 most of the way from Missouri to Utah as far as Spanish Fork, UT.

Also, for those that are in the area that I may travel through do you have any recommendations and places to see around there? I know this is a little off topic but figured it couldn’t hurt to see some great sights in the area!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "The shores of history are littered with the wrecks of civilizations, where once free men trusted their rights and liberty to a wholly centralized government"

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

It is not, to the best of my knowledge, required to notify a LEO that you're packing, but showing them the courtesy is likely to be appreciated.

Have fun in Utah and enjoy the scenery on the trip (if by road). Make good use of the link in the previous post, but do not be afraid to ask questions of us if there are any areas of doubt.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

So far vacation going well made it as far as green river about to meet up for lunch with Logan 5 in green river. Open carried in Arches National Park. Everything going well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "The shores of history are littered with the wrecks of civilizations, where once free men trusted their rights and liberty to a wholly centralized government"

Was good to meet you!
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicworkman View Post
    So far vacation going well made it as far as green river about to meet up for lunch with Logan 5 in green river. Open carried in Arches National Park. Everything going well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spent two nights at the KOA in Green River last week; OC'd at Goblin Valley State park. I've OC'd in Utah before and have never had a problem.

We'll be passing through Utah again next week on the way home from Texas.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicworkman View Post
    I will be making a vacation trip to Utah the end of May I have my Missouri CCW permit can someone give me a run through on the basics of the Utah gun laws that I would likely to run into.

As I understand open carry is allowed other than the federally banned places and since the enactment of carrying in a National park I should be fine there as well right?

I should be traveling Interstate 70 most of the way from Missouri to Utah as far as Spanish Fork, UT.

Also, for those that are in the area that I may travel through do you have any recommendations and places to see around there? I know this is a little off topic but figured it couldn’t hurt to see some great sights in the area!
    I will also be taking a roadtrip to Utah this summer, and would like to know if you have any specific advice about carrying that you dealt with in your experience there? I will be coming from California because I made some vegas hotel reservations because I found some Vegas hotel promotions that I could not pass up. I am familiar with Nevada gun laws, but am not certain about Utah. Any wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by angelicalee8; 07-03-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Angelica,

we're fairly gun friendly. With the permit, the only thing you really would have to watch out for it staying clear of schools (within 1000 feet). Signs for public businesses don't carry the weight of law, you are welcome to ignore them (not that you'll see many), however, if someone working there asks you to leave it in the car, do so. In general though you won't run into many stores who mind, and most don't even seem to notice. We've always been fairly gun friendly (we have a state gun after all ), and OC is common enough that if you have lived here long you're used to it.

If you lack a permit, just make sure it's unloaded, meaning no unexpended cartridge in the chamber, and two manual actions from firing. For a pistol this just means no chambered round (racking and pulling the trigger is two manual actions), for a single action revolver drop the hammer on an empty chamber (hammer back and trigger is two actions), for a double action drop the hammer on an empty chamber, and keep the next chamber empty as well (pulling the trigger twice is two actions of course).

Other than schools, and the secure areas of courts, jails, and mental institutions, public buildings and places aren't allowed to enact policies or rules prohibiting firearms, our state law is fairly clear (compared to most at least), and our preemption laws are great, so no worries about local govts doing their own thing. The fed's rules are the same you deal with where you live, so I won't bother addressing those.

Drinking a beer or a glass of wine is A-OK, just don't pass the legal limit to drive (0.08) while you're carrying
    Last edited by gobbly; 06-22-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gobbly View Post
    ...With the permit, the only thing you really would have to watch out for it staying clear of schools (within 1000 feet)....
    Since this is not true, I can only assume you made a typo of some sort...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I am assuming that their permit is not a Utah permit, so I intended to write what I wrote. Now if you have a Utah issued permit, you would be able to ignore the FGFSZA, but that act does require that your permit be issued by the state in which the school resides.

I probably should have elaborated on that more since Angelica didn't state where the permit was from, but not being a Utahn I made that assumption.

To say that this is not true, you must have been either knowingly dishonest, ignorant of the GFSZ act, or making assumptions regarding things that you have no knowledge of.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    To say that this is not true, you must have been either knowingly dishonest, ignorant of the GFSZ act, or making assumptions regarding things that you have no knowledge of...
    Or making a mistake from typing faster than thinking. But thank you for imputing motives.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by gobbly View Post
    I am assuming that their permit is not a Utah permit, so I intended to write what I wrote. Now if you have a Utah issued permit, you would be able to ignore the FGFSZA,...
    You are right. I was typing faster than I was thinking. My mind was solely focused on UT laws at the moment. The complete lack of enforcement of the FGFSZA on normal people in normal states of the union made me actually forget all about it during this thread, especially when I saw the word "permit" and forgot to think about where their permit was from. THANK YOU! Now do I feel like an idiot...
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-01-2012 at 03:43 PM.

You are right. I was typing faster than I was thinking. My mind was solely focused on UT laws at the moment. The complete lack of enforcement of the FGFSZA on normal people in normal states of the union made me actually forget all about it during this thread, especially when I saw the word "permit" and forgot to think about where their permit was from. THANK YOU! Now do I feel like an idiot...
    no worries, lol. The laws to remember are ridiculous in their volume. I have found myself walking into a few post offices before remembering that I was armed. I always wonder what they think when I walk in the door, then turn around and walk right back out and drive off, hehe.
    Last edited by gobbly; 07-02-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Did Utah pass some sort of law that OC does not equal disorderly conduct/inducing panic?

no, unfortunately. They tried to push this through but it got opposition from the police departments and didn't pass. Though I'm only aware of 1 or 2 situations where such charges haven't been thrown out.