• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling from MISSOURI to UTAH I-70 thru Missouri, Kansas,Colorado, and UTAH

mechanicworkman

I will be taking a vacation from Missouri to Utah. I have both my Utah & Missouri CCW’s I am wondering what different laws I will run across when traveling?

I am most concerned with things like:

------Which states do I have a Duty to inform officer if pulled over for a possible traffic violation.( I.E. speeding)

-------Missouri & Utah are an open carry state but, I am unsure about Colorado & Kansas

I should be taking Interstate 70 across Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and on into Utah.

As I understand it my Utah permit is not valid in Kansas but, my Missouri permit is! Am I correct in this understanding?

Are there any cities that are a common problem or anything that would require any special attention on my part?

----I. E. Kansas City

----Denver

----Any other city that would limit my ability to Carry Concealed if not Open carry?

Missouri has pre-emption laws that provide protections to those who have CCW that is not afforded to Open Carry.

What different things do I need to be concerned with?

All those frequent travelers that can offer some help would be greatly appreciated. I know there are lots of persons on here better informed than myself.

Thanks in advance!

Redbaron007

The Handgunlaw.us site is usually where I start when planning a trip. If you have already consulted this site, I don't mean to be repetitive; although, it is a great beginning resource to discover the different laws each state has.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I believe you will find that if you are a MO resident, have a MO permit, the other states you mentioned honor the MO permit.

You should still research each states specifics in case you have some level of encounter. We have a member here who ran into trouble in Oklahoma while changing a flat an officer rolled up on him to serve as a safety barrier for traffic. When talking as the tire was being changed some how it got to weapons and the officer wrote him for "failing to notify", he eventually beat it, but it was a pain in his butt for a while.

Who would think basically saying thanks to a cop for stopping while you were changing a tire would turn into a gun rights issue, but it did and the notification laws are a real pain in the butt that you need to check for as well as restricted places. In MO it is not a crime to enter a posted facility, in other states it is an absolute crime.

Have a fun trip

mechanicworkman

LMTD,

Yes, I do remember reading the thread about the guy with the flat tire. A situation such as this is what I am trying to avoid.

Knock on wood I suppose I have not been pulled over in many years but, eventually I am sure my number will be up and get pulled over for something. I am trying to make sure all my I's are dotted and T's are crossed as much as possible.

Another member turned me onto the I-Phone Application that got links the the laws and such at a moments notice. Seems like a pretty good Application.

Redbaron007

LMTD,

Yes, I do remember reading the thread about the guy with the flat tire. A situation such as this is what I am trying to avoid.

Knock on wood I suppose I have not been pulled over in many years but, eventually I am sure my number will be up and get pulled over for something. I am trying to make sure all my I's are dotted and T's are crossed as much as possible.

Another member turned me onto the I-Phone Application that got links the the laws and such at a moments notice. Seems like a pretty good Application.

Whats the app?

Redbaron007

CCW - Concealed Carry 50 state app by Workman Consulting it was 99 cents i usually dont buy to many applications but its got some basic good information on it i thought.

Thx!

Do you have any ties with the app maker? Workman Consulting Group, i.e. mechanicworkman?

mechanicworkman

Thx!

Do you have any ties with the app maker? Workman Consulting Group, i.e. mechanicworkman?

Redbaron,

NOPE! no relation or ties! The only ties that i have is the name in common! When i looked up the name I did get a chuckle! I figured it was something you would ask! I was told about it from a member on the Colorado form.

I wish i knew enough to make a application!

Redbaron007

Redbaron,

NOPE! no relation or ties! The only ties that i have is the name in common! When i looked up the name I did get a chuckle! I figured it was something you would ask! I was told about it from a member on the Colorado form.

I wish i knew enough to make a application!

No worries....just curious!!

Appreciate it!