• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammunition

Law abider

I agree with this. I owned a .45 for years, but never invested in the ammo to really become proficient. Later I sold it, and many different phases of my gun insanity have come and gone. Well as the years past I decided to get a 9mm, not for really any reason other than I wanted to put a lot of rounds down range cheaply and regularly.

Man, how cool to see the difference in my capabilities. 15 Thousand rounds through my Glock 34 and now I am shooting better than I have ever shot, including bigger calibers. I just have to keep up the practice. As time goes by, small differences in price add up. Bulk 9mm is cheaper than many other bulk ammo for the very reason that supply is so available, which is also nice in that you can find it everywhere.

I still have a .45 for home defense, and a .44 that I take with me in the woods, but I put most of my rounds down range in the 9mm, and carry it everywhere.

Thanks. That's what seems to be comming out in this thread. 9mm for practice and as well to carry. So... Me thinks I'll need 2 guns. 9mm and a 45 or 40 cal.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have .357 Wolff conversion barrels for my glock 23 and 27, and I have fired over a thousand rounds through them combined without a single malfunction. You can use the .40 mags, but the follower is slightly different on the .357 mags, so if you convert it is best to buy the .357 Sig. mags to use with the .357 barrel. And as gutshot stated, you can also obtain a 9mm conversion and have 3 calibers in one gun. The barrels only run $100 bucks, and from my experience are more accurate than the factory glock barrels. Purchase a set of ameriglo tritium night sights for it, and you are good to go for sport or defense. I'm not sure for the 9mm barrel, but .40s&w and .357 sig. Have the same point of impact from the same gun.

DangerClose

I hear our .gov is winding down our current foreign excursion which means we should see more 9mm and 5.56mm - just don't know how it will be priced.

I was reminded of prior ammo prices recently. I was reading an ammo thread from 2005 where the person said his local big-chain sporting goods store carried Blazer 9mm for $3.69 a box.

JB248

9mm in whatever feels good to you. Go to tge range with some friends that shoot and or rent.some guns to see what feels right.

I've been picking up boxes of Remington UMC in 9mm for $9.99 at Dunhams with a coupon the past month.

tcmech

9mm in whatever feels good to you. Go to tge range with some friends that shoot and or rent.some guns to see what feels right.

I've been picking up boxes of Remington UMC in 9mm for $9.99 at Dunhams with a coupon the past month.

+1

38 special is expensive as is 45 acp. If you ever start reloading you will notice that 9mm costs almost as much to reload as it does to buy new, when you factor in your time and the costs of reloading supplies.