Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham Radio Field day 2012....anyone interested?

Ham Radio Field day 2012....anyone interested?

Its come the the attention of a bunch of us in south central WI that ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services, an organization of the ARRL) has stated that the volunteer members are not allowed to be armed with any type of weapon... I was talking with another local ham who is 'one of us'....We are thinking about organizing a CC/OC friendly Field Day get together for this year (23-24 June). Any of the hams on here interested? Not sure yet of the location...Looking for input from other hams or those interested... Thanks guys.

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    not a HAM operator but would show up anyways so i can learn about it
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 04-26-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

I could do the 23rd.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I am not sure about the date, but will keep it in mind and watch the thread. I haven't done Field Day in years...

I enjoy Field day weekend...some of the higher-ups are getting a little testy about things..:-) Time to have our own outting..now to figure out where! Ill keep you all posted...need to alert other hams also...

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    I enjoy Field day weekend...some of the higher-ups are getting a little testy about things..:-) Time to have our own outting..now to figure out where! Ill keep you all posted...need to alert other hams also...
    They actually had that policy in place, in writing?

A knife comes in awfully handy cutting rope or stripping wire/cable too bad it is prohibited. Are you an ARES member?

I am/was (havent yet officially turned in my ID)...but yes, i got an email from our county coordinator that came down from ARRL...sounds like they are against it!

heres the email thats been circulated:

Wisconsin ARES management does not have any authority to formulate a policy of carrying weapons while supporting ARES. ARES is a registered program of ARRL and, as the parent organization of ARES, it is the ARRL who has declared that weapons have no place in ARES not only in Wisconsin but nationally. I have been in communication with ARRL HQ several times on this issue presenting the what-ifs and the answer is always the same no weapons allowed. Period.

From Chris Imlay, ARRL General Counsel:

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

This policy has the support of all the top management within ARRL, Central Division leaders, Wisconsin Section Manager, and Wisconsin ARES senior leadership. In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Wisconsin ARES will adhere to this ARRL policy and we will discuss, at the April 28 Leadership conference, the impact it has on Wisconsin ARES and the adjustments that need to be made within Wisconsin ARES to continue as one of the best ARES organizations in the country.

Best regards

I may stay active long enough to turn a few people in for having pocket knives or box cutters at our groups field day event...lol

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    I am/was (havent yet officially turned in my ID)...but yes, i got an email from our county coordinator that came down from ARRL...sounds like they are against it!

heres the email thats been circulated:

Wisconsin ARES management does not have any authority to formulate a policy of carrying weapons while supporting ARES. ARES is a registered program of ARRL and, as the parent organization of ARES, it is the ARRL who has declared that weapons have no place in ARES not only in Wisconsin but nationally. I have been in communication with ARRL HQ several times on this issue presenting the what-ifs and the answer is always the same no weapons allowed. Period.

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

This policy has the support of all the top management within ARRL, Central Division leaders, Wisconsin Section Manager, and Wisconsin ARES senior leadership. In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Wisconsin ARES will adhere to this ARRL policy and we will discuss, at the April 28 Leadership conference, the impact it has on Wisconsin ARES and the adjustments that need to be made within Wisconsin ARES to continue as one of the best ARES organizations in the country.

Best regards
    I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of ARRL members who carry. I wonder what will happen to their membership?

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Im SURE alot of them in AZ carry...

I havent gotten my HAM ticket yet, but what meter are you guys going to be on?
    I cant legally TX, but maybe I could pick you up on the RX.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Greetings, Don.
    Let me be very, very clear about this.
    We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue.
    There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever.
    We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time.
    If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated.
    This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever.
    We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

So he doesn't believe in rights (notice it's in quotes, like he doesn't believe in the concept),
    won't ever talk with anyone on the subject again,
    and thinks that by doing so he's avoiding liability.
    Moron.
    He needs to get pointed to the liability portion of the new carry law in WI... Looks like he's admitted there's a long list of people willing to pay out for a lawsuit & damages.

And how does this new position mesh with their stated policy:
    "Under no circumstances will any volunteer be asked or expected to place his/her life, family or property in jeopardy. Volunteers are required to take those prudent steps necessary to protect their life, family and property."
    http://www.wi-aresraces.org/Document...m_Ref_Plan.pdf (pg. 2)

Life & family should be obvious. Property is in jeopardy by leaving it unattended in a vehicle.
    And since they require "prudent steps" for protection, they can't very well turn around & prohibit those same prudent steps now, can they?

I don't see anything in ARRL bylaws, rules & regulations, or articles of association about suspending civil rights...
    I have not waded through the minutes of board meetings, though, so there might have actually been a legal vote taken & recorded, amending the rules, articles, etc. by the required number of board members, & it just hasn't been published yet.

If not, this new 'policy' seems to be much like any other opinion by any other employee of any other company.

Back around 1977 I pondered a life membership in the ARRL, but decided to put my money in life memberships in the NRA, ISRA, SAF and CCRKBA. All that for just a few more $$ than the ARRL/QST life rate. this just reinforces my decision.

Most all field day locations are open to the public, so visit while OC.

Although I'm not an overly active HAM (just tx/rx between a few friends) and have not participated in any field day I have been a ARRL member since getting licensed.

My renewal is currently due, this has helped me decide to not renew. There is no way I will give money to an organization that states there position like this. Wearing horse blinders not even willing to discuss logic.

Thanks for bring this to my attention, saved me some $ this year an on

Quote Originally Posted by mearlus View Post
    Although I'm not an overly active HAM (just tx/rx between a few friends) and have not participated in any field day I have been a ARRL member since getting licensed.

My renewal is currently due, this has helped me decide to not renew. There is no way I will give money to an organization that states there position like this. Wearing horse blinders not even willing to discuss logic.

Make sure to tell them why.

For people thinking about (or actually) dropping their membership in ARRL or one of its affiliates, be sure to call, email, or preferably write the main office to explain why.
    Maybe use their website to find the names of the board members & write them.
    Hopefully once this email (from their lawyer) is circulated they will see enough of a bad response to understand that they screwed up.
    No idea if they'd correct the mistake.

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    For people thinking about (or actually) dropping their membership in ARRL or one of its affiliates, be sure to call, email, or preferably write the main office to explain why.
    Maybe use their website to find the names of the board members & write them.
    Hopefully once this email (from their lawyer) is circulated they will see enough of a bad response to understand that they screwed up.
    No idea if they'd correct the mistake.
    if someone finds\has the contact info please post it here
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    if someone finds\has the contact info please post it here
    http://www.arrl.org/

ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio
    225 Main Street
    Newington, CT, 06111-1494 USA
    Tel:1-860-594-0200 Fax:1-860-594-0259
    hq@arrl.org

http://www.arrl.org/contact-arrl

I don't have any direct contacts though.

President:
    Kay C. Craigie, N3KN
    570 Brush Mountain Road
    Blacksburg, VA 24060
    (540) 552-3903
    n3kn@arrl.org

Chief Executive Officer:
    David Sumner, K1ZZ
    225 Main Street
    Newington, Connecticut 06111
    860-594-0205
    K1ZZ@arrl.org

Chief Operating Officer:
    Harold Kramer, WJ1B
    225 Main Street
    Newington, Connecticut 06111
    860-594-0220
    WJ1B@arrl.org

Wisconsin Section Contact:
    Don Michalski, W9IXG
    Daytime Phone:
    608-263-4685
    Evening Phone:
    608-274-1886
    Email: dem@sal.wisc.edu

Banned
    don't these people just sit in their basement and talk to "aliens"? I think they need a gun in that case.

It seems to me that such a move would alienate a great number of operators. Even more so when it comes to those willing to volunteer for emergency services.

How foolish.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mearlus View Post

Ive been an ARRL member in the past...but only to receive QST...
    Last edited by GlockRDH; 04-29-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: clarity

Really odd that they would just come up with this. I wonder if there was an incident or if someone saw a big bad gun and got scared. Really upsets me that everyone elses fears tend to trod on my rights.

KT7R
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    US ARMY - VFW

When the hurricane knocked out New Orleans, some private law abiding citizens who were just trying to get to high ground were attacked by police. Considering the amount of chaos that can prevail after a natural disaster, I would want to be able to protect myself, since the resources that I am using and in control of: Electric power, gasoline, food, water, heat, shelter and radio communication access to the outside for emergency services, reporting of crimes, makes me a TARGET to some people!

If the rules of ARES, functionally disarm me, and something bad happens to me, they have indeed exposed themselves to liability, just as the law recognizes that businesses that post gun control signs in Wisconsin, have created a libility for themselves.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Quote Originally Posted by E6chevron View Post
    When the hurricane knocked out New Orleans, some private law abiding citizens who were just trying to get to high ground were attacked by police. Considering the amount of chaos that can prevail after a natural disaster, I would want to be able to protect myself, since the resources that I am using and in control of: Electric power, gasoline, food, water, heat, shelter and radio communication access to the outside for emergency services, reporting of crimes, makes me a TARGET to some people!

If the rules of ARES, functionally disarm me, and something bad happens to me, they have indeed exposed themselves to liability, just as the law recognizes that businesses that post gun control signs in Wisconsin, have created a libility for themselves.

Some rules are meant to be broken. Concealed means concealed.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast