• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ham Radio Field day 2012....anyone interested?

Jack House

It seems to me that such a move would alienate a great number of operators. Even more so when it comes to those willing to volunteer for emergency services.

How foolish.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

GlockRDH

Although I'm not an overly active HAM (just tx/rx between a few friends) and have not participated in any field day I have been a ARRL member since getting licensed.

My renewal is currently due, this has helped me decide to not renew. There is no way I will give money to an organization that states there position like this. Wearing horse blinders not even willing to discuss logic.

Thanks for bring this to my attention, saved me some $ this year an on :)

Ive been an ARRL member in the past...but only to receive QST...

Last edited:

Trap

Really odd that they would just come up with this. I wonder if there was an incident or if someone saw a big bad gun and got scared. Really upsets me that everyone elses fears tend to trod on my rights.

KT7R

E6chevron

When the hurricane knocked out New Orleans, some private law abiding citizens who were just trying to get to high ground were attacked by police. Considering the amount of chaos that can prevail after a natural disaster, I would want to be able to protect myself, since the resources that I am using and in control of: Electric power, gasoline, food, water, heat, shelter and radio communication access to the outside for emergency services, reporting of crimes, makes me a TARGET to some people!

If the rules of ARES, functionally disarm me, and something bad happens to me, they have indeed exposed themselves to liability, just as the law recognizes that businesses that post gun control signs in Wisconsin, have created a libility for themselves.

TechnoWeenie

When the hurricane knocked out New Orleans, some private law abiding citizens who were just trying to get to high ground were attacked by police. Considering the amount of chaos that can prevail after a natural disaster, I would want to be able to protect myself, since the resources that I am using and in control of: Electric power, gasoline, food, water, heat, shelter and radio communication access to the outside for emergency services, reporting of crimes, makes me a TARGET to some people!

If the rules of ARES, functionally disarm me, and something bad happens to me, they have indeed exposed themselves to liability, just as the law recognizes that businesses that post gun control signs in Wisconsin, have created a libility for themselves.

Some rules are meant to be broken. Concealed means concealed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Some rules are meant to be broken. Concealed means concealed.

This is a forum about Open Carry. While concealed carry is recognized as existing, and some folks on some occasions do carry concealed, we also have "(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts." ARRL/ARES policy/rules need to be treated the same as we treat laws and signs on private property announcing that firearms are not allowed.

What you do on your own time and do not get caught doing is your own business. But you should not be announcing your intention to violate a law/policy/rule or encouraging others to do so.

stay safe.

E6chevron

This is a forum about Open Carry. While concealed carry is recognized as existing, and some folks on some occasions do carry concealed, we also have "(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts." ARRL/ARES policy/rules need to be treated the same as we treat laws and signs on private property announcing that firearms are not allowed.

What you do on your own time and do not get caught doing is your own business. But you should not be announcing your intention to violate a law/policy/rule or encouraging others to do so.

stay safe.

You have reached pretty far on this one. Unless we are referring to carrying in the offices of AARL, in the state of Wisconsin, one of their members would have to post or otherwise notify of the prohibition to carry on property that they own or rent. Since this is not the case, there is no force of LAW, to make it illegal to carry. In most cases the volunteers themselves are probably in their own home or business or vehicle. An association they belong to, does not have the right to post or notify of prohibition on someone else's property.

Giving policies of civilian assocations (ARRL/ARRE), the same treatment as law is not in our best interest or required by Federal 2A rights or Art. 1, Section 25 (RKBA) of the Wisconsin Constitution. I don't think OCDO intends to support their interference with our rights.

The_Pennsylvanian

Glad I never joined ARES or the ARRL, as it has seemed to me for a few years that they were getting too Big-Brotherish, this sealed the deal. For anyone interested, the Marshfield club is doing Field Day, I will be open carrying. I will post details when we have the location settled. Have a meeting tonight. Also, I WILL still operate and provide assistance in emergencies, just NEVER through ARES. Been freelancing for a few years now, worked out pretty good so far.

TheDavid

Glad to know this, I will now avoid the ARRL and send an email to let them know that.

David
KE7AYF

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

msteinhilber

I'd be interested at some point, I know little about HAM radio though. My experience with radio comes from doing a lot of wireless network administration of which some of it carries over. Picked up a copy of the 2011 ARRL handbook and hope to get my ticket shortly.

GlockRDH

I'd be interested at some point, I know little about HAM radio though. My experience with radio comes from doing a lot of wireless network administration of which some of it carries over. Picked up a copy of the 2011 ARRL handbook and hope to get my ticket shortly.

Go to the ARRL website..you can download the current Q/A pool of questions...

The Big Guy

For people thinking about (or actually) dropping their membership in ARRL or one of its affiliates, be sure to call, email, or preferably write the main office to explain why.
Maybe use their website to find the names of the board members & write them.
Hopefully once this email (from their lawyer) is circulated they will see enough of a bad response to understand that they screwed up.
No idea if they'd correct the mistake.

I will be dropping my membership and will write and tell them why. I will also make sure the Hammies on the NV site hear about this too.

TBG