• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non resident permits and carrying in OH...

Yance

Ok, trying to find info about obtaining a non resident permit and carrying in OH. Long story short currently, due to michigans long list of license disqualifiers I conveniently meet one for the next few years.

From what I gathered from various internet searches OH does not issue non resident permits, if this is true do they honor non resident permits from other states, if so which states?

Any help would be appreciated, I live in Michigan and my father lives in OH and I plan on visiting him this summer a few times and it would be nice to continue to be armed while doing so.

Thanks in advance.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Alaska *Arizona (Resident Only) Arkansas Delaware
Florida Idaho Kansas Kentucky Louisiana
Michigan Missouri Nebraska New Mexico North Carolina
North Dakota Oklahoma South Carolina Tennessee Utah
Virginia Washington West Virginia Wyoming
*Ohio Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses from all the states they honor except for Arizona. The Agreement specifically states AZ resident only. OH AG confirmed this. You can view the actual agreement.

Someone here will answer your question better than I, but I think Florida issues a nonresident license without you having state license.

Yance

Thanks for that, I know I read something a long those lines but with the other information offered it was a little confusing.

As far as I'm aware Floridas non resident permit is comprised of an online course and you just mail them the money. I'll definitely look into it.

landyacht302

Florida might be your only option now. I carry in Ohio on Utah CFP that I got when I living in PA but traveling to Ohio regularly. Utah just changed their requirements for new applicants and renewals that you must have a license from the state you reside in.

mrjam2jab

Florida might be your only option now. I carry in Ohio on Utah CFP that I got when I living in PA but traveling to Ohio regularly. Utah just changed their requirements for new applicants and renewals that you must have a license from the state you reside in.

must have license from the state you reside in...IF your state honors the UT permit. In this case MI does, so UT is indeed out of the picture.

junglebob

Florida is probably the easiest non-resident for you to get if you meet the requirements. Though I live in Illinois, unfortunately, I have a Utah non-resident LTC so I can carry in Ohio when visiting my daughter and family.

Any NRA gun course, including the hunter safety course can be used as proof of training for Florida. Also the certificate for the military, don't remember the number, qualifies. Florida and Utah non-resident LTC are about the same, last time I checked, except a Utah non-resident LTC isn't good in Florida and a Florida non-resident isn't good in Minnesota

I'd recommend going to www.handgunlaw.us to check out for yourself the states any LTC you are considering is good in. Things can change at any time.

Last edited: