• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to site, and quick question

JPerkins

Greetings everyone, I am new to the site, and have been "slightly" OC'ing for about three years now. Reason behind the "slightly" is because I am a little intimidated to do so to often. I have seen a few videos here and there on youtube where people have recorded their experiences while open carrying in other states, and heard some stories that in a few states you can open carry but can not have ammo attached to the firearm. If you ask me, this would render it kind of pointless, when you carry to protect yourself. Can someone answer this question for me please? While open carrying in Kentucky, can we have ammo attached, and if so can the firearm be loaded and ready to fire? I would hate to be arrested for practicing something that I assumed was legal, because I failed to gain knowledge on every aspect of it. I have been pulled over while my gun was in my glovebox, and it was loaded, and everything went fine with that, besides the fact I was asked multiple times why I seem to think I should drive around with a loaded gun in my glovebox. If anyone can help though, it would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

09jisaac

Yes, you can legally carry a loaded hand gun (assuming you can legally carry a handgun). The only exception is in bars. By "bar" I mean any place that sales alcohol to be consumed on the premises that does not make more than 50% of their money on food with seating for at least 50 people.

Comm

Welcome to the forum! Yes you can have a loaded weapon while carrying.
I OC most of time myself, but I do have my CCW and CC when in certain places, like my church, and movie places. I have gone into Walmart, Kroger, Tractor supply, McDonalds, and other places while OC.
Now recently I was confronted by a black man who I am guess was a Treyvon Martin supporter, and started a argument with me in Walmart, but I just ignored him, and went on.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Absolutely! I was in Ashland walmart yesterday and had a guy behind me in line who was OCing unloaded. Why he would carry a gun in Ky unloaded in completely beyond me.

Since you have asked this question I suggest you do some serious reading of state law and other pertinent information. You should check out KRS chapters 237 and 527. Read up on all relevant attorney general opinions, and check out the supreme court of Ky case "Holland v. Commonwealth." You can also read the "Ky gun law thread" at the top of the Ky forum page.

Welcome! Read and know the law and carry on. Don't let people intimidate you and keep you from protecting yourself.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Why would you tell an officer you had a gun in the first place? I recommend not informing anyone you have a firearm, regardless of who it is. You are under no obligation to inform law enforcement that you are armed in Ky. If you do inform them, as you have found out you more than likely will just be harassed for it.

JPerkins

Thanks everyone for your replies, and I only informed the officer because that is where I had my insurance cards, and didnt want a surprise. I will tell all my gun carrying friends about this site for sure though, so they can all share their stories and experiences too. Just bought a HK .40 usp comp, can't wait to shoot, will upload pics asap!!!. Take care all.