• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Kansas have a Duty to Notify?

mechanicworkman

I will be taking a vacation from Missouri to Utah. I have both my Utah & Missouri CCW’s I am wondering what different laws I will run across when traveling?

I am most concerned with things like:

------Which states do I have a Duty to inform officer if pulled over for a possible traffic violation.( I.E. speeding)

-------Missouri & Utah are an open carry state but, I am unsure about Colorado & Kansas

I should be taking Interstate 70 across Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and on into Utah.

As I understand it my Utah permit is not valid in Kansas but, my Missouri permit is! Am I correct in this understanding?

Are there any cities that are a common problem or anything that would require any special attention on my part?

----I. E. Kansas City

----Denver

----Any other city that would limit my ability to Carry Concealed if not Open carry?

Missouri has pre-emption laws that provide protections to those who have CCW that is not afforded to Open Carry.

What different things do I need to be concerned with?

All those frequent travelers that can offer some help would be greatly appreciated. I know there are lots of persons on here better informed than myself.

Thanks in advance!

hermannr

Hej! Check out www.handgunlaw.us It is the most up-to-date and best resourse out there.

KS, no duty, OK yes, has duty, if you are going through OK. CO is an OC state, EXCEPT Denver.

Last edited:

mechanicworkman

Thank You for the information!

Yes I have several friends that are police in OK after some lengthy debate on my Facebook page I believe that i will be skipping OK on my trip! It would seem that even if OK didn't have a duty(WHICH THEY DO) to inform most of my friends that are officers seem to be swaying toward the decision that they would be more than displeased with an individual not being forthright and out with it that someone was carrying and didn't tell them.

Although I have had some much lengthy discussion how this is not fair and they seem to be enforcing personal opinion and not actual law! --I do not seem to have changed their view any!

BigTzzy

Kansas laws are pretty simple if you have a CCW from a state that Kansas recognizes. (Missouri is one of those states.)

You can carry your firearm anywhere you want to in Kansas as long as there is not a "Gun Buster" posted properly at every exterior entrance.(Except for Federal property and certain places that the belong to the Governor and the capitol building. (I doubt you plan to visit the Governor. LOL )

The "Gun Buster" must be 8x8 inch sign (circle meets this per AG opinion, don't get me started on Geometry and how a circle can not be measured that way.) with a black gun on a white background with a red circle/slash through the gun. The red circle must be 6" Diameter with a 1" border.

This sign must be posted on all exterior entrances within 12" of the door, and be between 4' and 6' off the ground as measured from the doorway.

If you want to read the law for yourself you can go to:

List of places you can't carry and no sign is required
The state statute 75-7c10 and Kansas Administrative Regulation
16-11-7.

The thing to keep in mind with 75-7c10 is the first part of the sentence in section (a), it reads:

Kansas Law said:
(a) Provided that the premises are conspicuously posted in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the attorney general as premises where carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited

So as you read the whole list that 75-7c10 has remember that they MUST adhere to section (a) and be posted.