• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Colorado have a duty to notify?

mechanicworkman

I will be taking a vacation from Missouri to Utah. I have both my Utah & Missouri CCW’s I am wondering what different laws I will run across when traveling?

I am most concerned with things like:

------Which states do I have a Duty to inform officer if pulled over for a possible traffic violation.( I.E. speeding)

-------Missouri & Utah are an open carry state but, I am unsure about Colorado & Kansas

I should be taking Interstate 70 across Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and on into Utah.

As I understand it my Utah permit is not valid in Kansas but, my Missouri permit is! Am I correct in this understanding?

Are there any cities that are a common problem or anything that would require any special attention on my part?

----I. E. Kansas City

----Denver

----Any other city that would limit my ability to Carry Concealed if not Open carry?

Missouri has pre-emption laws that provide protections to those who have CCW that is not afforded to Open Carry.

What different things do I need to be concerned with?

All those frequent travelers that can offer some help would be greatly appreciated. I know there are lots of persons on here better informed than myself.

Thanks in advance!

Logan 5

Why not go to the Utah thread and refer to the link I provided? I think it has the answers you're asking for.
I suggest that unless you have reason to be on I-70 from Denver west to SLC, I think you may save time and money by taking I-25 north from I-70 in Denver to I-80 in Cheyenne and then continue west on I-80. Because when you get to Green River and continue north, it's not the interstate. It's a US highway. And that means 55-to maybe 65 in places. I-80 comes into SLC and you can go anywhere you want from there. The fuel is cheaper in Wyoming, case in point Green River. It's $3.849 per gallon of regular unleaded here. In Price it's 20 cents cheaper per gallon, $3.639. Wyoming, I havn't paid any attention to the prices lately, but they're usually 20-35 cents cheaper (or better).

Last edited:

mechanicworkman

I took I-80 a couple years ago when i went to Yellowstone i was hopeing to go through Colorado this time as it may be a little more senic. I am going about 2 hrs south of SLC when i Google it mileage about the same and the gas estimation is within 10 bucks or so of each other either way I travel! I did hit up missouri, kansas, colorado, and utah threads with this thread but so far the only 2 comments yours and the guy above that said to go to www.handgun.us-- I did hit up the visit utah website and there was a couple good sights to see in southern Utah that wanted to hit before heading north

MatieA

If you travel a lot, and have a droid or iphone you may also want to check out the CCW - Concealed Carry 50 state app by Worman Consulting. A very good app for gun laws in different states.

JamesB

Overview of Colorado:

OC in the city of Denver = bad.
OC in any other city, town, or countryside (including denver suburbs) = good.
CC anywhere = good (Missouri yes, Utah no).
In vehicle OC or CC = good.
No duty to inform.
No stupid laws about liquor stores or bars.

Note this is not the exhaustive, yes you can / no you cant, this is just the $.05 tour.

PikesPeakMtnMan

Hopefully this directly answers a lot of the questions you might have:

No duty to notify if you're pulled over
You can carry handguns in your car however you feel like, you don't need to worry about whether or not it's loaded or concealed. (Long guns can't have a round chambered)
Don't OC in the city of Denver but you're good to go everywhere else.

I-70 thru western Colorado is wayyyy more scenic than anything in Wyoming along I-80....

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have both my Utah & Missouri CCW’s...

Concealed Carry:

As per the CBI web page on reciprocity, Colorado recognizes both Missouri's and Utah's CCWs.

As per the Kansas page at handgunlaw, Kansas recognizes Missouri's CCW.

Open Carry:

According to OpenCarry.org maps, Missouri, Kansas, and Colorado are OC-friendly, meaning there are some snafus and restrictions, while Utah requires a CCW for OC (shrugs). However, according to the Utah page at handgunlaw, Utah does not honor Missouri's permit.

As each state's laws differ with respect to OC do's and dont's, it's best left up to you to do your homework! Handgunlaw.us is a great resource.

mechanicworkman

Hey everyone thank for you for your responses!

I have checked www.handgun.us and each of the states mentioned seemed to be listed on there as no duty to inform. But then I know that it’s a general version and not always up to date! ----Even known to be wrong on an issue or two in the past

I do have the iphone so I will be checking out the CCW 50 state application.—thanks I didn’t know there was one.

Also it’s good to know that Colorado only honors resident ccw permits of the state you live in that qualify for reciprocity.

My non-resident Utah permit won’t do me any good in Colorado but my Missouri permit will.

I will check out CBI to see what their site from the state says…………..info much appreciated

Thank you all for your help everyone!

M-Taliesin

I will check out CBI to see what their site from the state says…………..info much appreciated

Thank you all for your help everyone!

Howdy Pardner!
I been wanting to write ya, but also been busier than Michael Flatley with a leotard full of fire ants lately. That being said, albeit unlikely it should ever have been said... I now have a minute to sit down and write up a few words to you.

I live just one mile south of I-70!
Depending on when you happen to be meandering through, I could meet up with you for coffee and chatter, if you'd be of a mind to stop at the Flying J at Airport Blvd. They have a Denny's right inside, so coffee is fairly easy to come by, and the food is... well... it's a Denny's. What can I say? The gas price at Flying J is about as fair as you'll find in the vicinity, and better than most you'll find farther west in Denver or other burbs beyond Airport Blvd.

You already got information about the Colorado Bureau of Investigation website but here is a PDF document on reciprocity that you can print pretty easily: http://www.sanmiguelcounty.org/departments/sheriff/documents/CHP_CBI_Reciprocity.pdf and then you'd know more about the whole Colorado reciprocity thing.

So.............. OC is pretty open here (no pun intended) and you aren't likely to have much trouble aside from City and County of Denver territory. Personally, I don't bother fretting about it very much. Way I see it is... folks tend to quote the law that says you can open carry or concealed carry within your car while driving through Denver. What they tend to leave out is the part that says "Regardless of the number of stops you make". So far as I am concerned, it leads me to believe I can stop at a business or residence where I have stuff to do, and can open carry because it is one of the stops I make while passing through Denver. Being from out of state, you ought not press the issue but figure on concealed carry whenever you are in Denver territory. I press my luck because I figure I can point to the law and the verbage about "regardless of the number of stops" and hope for the best. Perhaps it is pressing my luck, but thus far, I haven't had an issue.

When bounty hunting or doing process service, I tend to open carry anyhow, when on a case, and haven't had an issue with cops to this juncture. Then again, I am usually with my team on those occassions. That, again, may be pressing the issue somewhat.

Anyhow... if you will be that close, and I ain't at work when you pass through, I'd be delighted to meet up with you.

If Denny's ain't your thing, there's also a Mickey D less than a block away, and a mile west we have a whole plethora of places with chow. Jack in the Box, Wendy's, etc, etc.

Hope to hear back eventual like, and the other member is correct.... the drive along I-70 is far more scenic than I-80.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mechanicworkman

M-Taliesin,

I appreciate the like to the reciprocity.pdf

Yea I am pretty sure we will be taking I-70 especially want to see something after the long drive across Kansas with not much to see.

Yea i still have a few weeks before the trip and depending on the timing of travel through Colorado and we'll can fit meeting up for a meal into the schedule we will see what we can do! I will have to talk to the wifeey of course.

Yea being an out of stater i doubt that I will be pushing my luck to much. But its good information to have none the less. Thank You

M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin,

Yea i still have a few weeks before the trip and depending on the timing of travel through Colorado and we'll can fit meeting up for a meal into the schedule we will see what we can do! I will have to talk to the wifeey of course.

Howdy Pard!
Just out of curiosity, when do you anticipate travelling through our neck of the woods?
My wife and I plan a trip to Oklahoma at the end of the month, so having some idea might prove helpful.

Thanks,
Blessings,
M-Taliesin