• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response From Rep. Robert Wittman

Blk97F150

Passing along a response I received from Congressman Wittman:

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me in regards to your support for the Second Amendment and gun rights. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I value your views on the important issues facing our Commonwealth and the Nation.

As a gun owner and strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, I believe that the constitutional right to keep and bear arms must be diligently protected. Additionally, I do not support a national gun registry. Such a registry would only put an unnecessary mandate on law-abiding citizens. Gun registration and owner licensing do not help police solve crime as criminals do not register their guns or get licenses.

Moreover, I believe the right to keep and bear arms is an individually possessed right, as are all rights protected in our Constitution. The Founding Fathers, the Framers of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights could not have been clearer about the nature of the right and the purpose of the Second Amendment. The U.S. Supreme Court has recognized it as an individual right in several landmark cases.

Rest assured that I am committed to preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes. I will continue to defend this sacred right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution as a member of the House of Representatives in the 112th Congress.

Thank you again for sharing your views and opinions with me. I am committed to serving you to the best of my abilities. If I can ever be of assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to call me at (202) 225-4261 or contact me online at: www.wittman.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Robert J. Wittman
Member of Congress

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Passing along a response I received from Congressman Wittman:

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me in regards to your support for the Second Amendment and gun rights. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I value your views on the important issues facing our Commonwealth and the Nation.

As a gun owner and strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, I believe that the constitutional right to keep and bear arms must be diligently protected. Additionally, I do not support a national gun registry. Such a registry would only put an unnecessary mandate on law-abiding citizens. Gun registration and owner licensing do not help police solve crime as criminals do not register their guns or get licenses.

Moreover, I believe the right to keep and bear arms is an individually possessed right, as are all rights protected in our Constitution. The Founding Fathers, the Framers of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights could not have been clearer about the nature of the right and the purpose of the Second Amendment. The U.S. Supreme Court has recognized it as an individual right in several landmark cases.

Rest assured that I am committed to preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes. I will continue to defend this sacred right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution as a member of the House of Representatives in the 112th Congress.

Thank you again for sharing your views and opinions with me. I am committed to serving you to the best of my abilities. If I can ever be of assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to call me at (202) 225-4261 or contact me online at: www.wittman.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Robert J. Wittman
Member of Congress

If he isn't BSing....He goes on the Christmas Card List.
Thanks for sharing!

apollosmom

Rob Wittman vice others

Rep. Rob Wittman has attended OCDO dinners in Yorktown with us, he has also attended and spoke at our BBQ in Newport News last summer. Have not read nor heard of Rigell, Forbes or....Robert (Bobby) Scott demonstrating their commitment in public...not saying they haven't, but have no personal knowledge of same. Yes, I know, Rep. Scott (D-Daily Press) has a pretty strong record against the 2A.

2a4all

Rep. Rob Wittman has attended OCDO dinners in Yorktown with us, he has also attended and spoke at our BBQ in Newport News last summer. Have not read nor heard of Rigell, Forbes or....Robert (Bobby) Scott demonstrating their commitment in public...not saying they haven't, but have no personal knowledge of same. Yes, I know, Rep. Scott (D-Daily Press) has a pretty strong record against the 2A.
He's not BSing. I have personally spoken with Rep Wittman, and I think he's sincere. I have also spoken with others who know him, and they say the same.

Like many who live in Newport News, I (will) have the dubious distinction of being gerrymandered out of Wittman's district and into Scott Rigell's effective 1/1/2013, thanks to the political mental midgets in the GA:(.

TFred

He's not BSing. I have personally spoken with Rep Wittman, and I think he's sincere. I have also spoken with others who know him, and they say the same.

Like many who live in Newport News, I (will) have the dubious distinction of being gerrymandered out of Wittman's district and into Scott Rigell's effective 1/1/2013, thanks to the political mental midgets in the GA:(.
I understand your disappointment, but look at it this way: Wittman is already in office... with you in Rigell's district, there are now more people available to help put a better person in his seat!

:)

TFred

45acpForMe

I understand your disappointment, but look at it this way: Wittman is already in office... with you in Rigell's district, there are now more people available to help put a better person in his seat!

:)

TFred

I am in York County and we got merged into a State district with places like Norfolk, Suffolk and Hampton. The conservative republican did not win the election. So I went from having Brenda Pogge (a good 2A supporter) to Mimi Locke who has voted against any 2A friendly bill. At least I got away from state senator John Miller who is also 95% anti-2a.

Congressman Wittman has been good on gun rights but hasn't led any charges to its defense. His other voting record is "good" except I still can't forgive his voting for the Credit Limit increase last year when the repubicans (no mispelling) had the power to shut off the debt bleeding once and for all. I contact his office regularly and get the politico-speak replies sometimes and occassionally get better ones. I fear he is more loyal to the republican leaders like Cantor than his constituency though! He is still better than any democrat!

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I agree with others about Wittman. I have spoken with him and he doesn't beat around the bush like other pols. He is very straightforward about his support for gun rights and I think he is a true believer. Just his willingness to come to one of our dinners speaks volumes. Does anyone think Bobby Scott would EVER be seen at one of our gatherings? I think Wittman is cut from the same cloth as Sheriff Danny Diggs.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
I do wounder, if he is that pro 2A, if he would even consider correcting the damage caused May 19, 1986.
It would be nice to see 18 USC § 922(o)(2)(B) changed to any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun where a $200 excise tax has been paid according to (insert pertinent sections of the NFA here)

It wouldn't remove the tax stamp and background check stuff only the post 1986 ban on the good stuff!

It sure would open the door for some nice select fire handguns to OC around!!! :)

45acpForMe

I do wounder, if he is that pro 2A, if he would even consider correcting the damage caused May 19, 1986.
It would be nice to see 18 USC § 922(o)(2)(B) changed to any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun where a $200 excise tax has been paid according to (insert pertinent sections of the NFA here)

It wouldn't remove the tax stamp and background check stuff only the post 1986 ban on the good stuff!

It sure would open the door for some nice select fire handguns to OC around!!! :)

The answer is no. While I like Congressman Wittman as a person he seems to be following the other Republican leaders and not making waves. He hasn't introduced his own legislation other than some Chesapeake Bay environment stuff from what I have seen. I talked to him about taking the bull by the horns and doing what was right and not waiting for the other Republicans but I guess you don't get any real power until you play by their rules and get a committee chairmanship. I hope Rob can prove me wrong and be more forceful in the future but if he really believed he could be bucking the system and trying to move the wimpy leaders in the right direction. At this point I have more respect for Congressman Ron Paul and Congresswoman Michelle Bachman.

While VCDL mainly involves itself with state level 2A issues it would be nice if they could hold a workshop and invite all of VA's congressman and senators to find sponsors/champions to work longterm to restoring the 2A rights (as well as others).

Don't get me wrong though, I still like Rob Wittman but I have little faith in the Republican establishment. It seems that Rob is an "establishment" man for now.

TFred

Wittman's been there for several years now. I can't help but be reminded again of our friend Morgan Griffith. Freshman congressman from the Salem area, he's already introduced a great bill, one designed to put teeth into FOPA.

Wittman could learn a thing or two from this "freshman".

TFred