Thread: Pistol in checked-luggage if I fly into Maryland?

Pistol in checked-luggage if I fly into Maryland?

Pardon my ignorance. I've only flown anywhere once, since 9/11.
    If I come to Maryland from Florida can I bring my sidearm? Not so much for carry, as I will be stationary during my time there, in someone's residence, but would rather have it with me, than leave it here at home , if possible.
    I am not familiar with Md.'s regulations on this.

It must be in a locked metal 'approved' gun box and declared at the ticket window. Do yourself a favor... leave it in FL. MD's too much of a hassle in even transporting a handgun. Most 'gun' travelers avoid MD altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Pardon my ignorance. I've only flown anywhere once, since 9/11.
    If I come to Maryland from Florida can I bring my sidearm? Not so much for carry, as I will be stationary during my time there, in someone's residence, but would rather have it with me, than leave it here at home , if possible.
    I am not familiar with Md.'s regulations on this.
    Sadly, I have to agree with SR...

As much as I'd love to tell you "bring it", 2 things come to mind...

1) This is Maryland, and weird stuff happens to good people.

2) There's always the chance of a diversion to Reagan Nat'l or Liberty (Newark).

Whether or not you decide to bring it this trip, is up to you. I recently had to fly from Cleveland OH, and Portland OR. My CPL covered me carrying in Ohio, but not in Oregon, but I checked the laws in both before I left. I also looked up the rules that the Airline I was flying with had in place, so when I arrived at the airport I knew my guns were stowed properly. The airline check-in counter went smoothly, but when I got to the TSA screener area for baggage, they seemed clueless as to the procedure. After about a 10 minute debate and phone call, they finally ran my bag through the X-ray screening machine, and it didn't explode or set off the alarm, I was sent on my way. What I found frustrating though was, once I went to retrieve my luggage in Portland, my suitcase was just put on the normal conveyor, where anyone could have snagged it up, and my firearms would have ended up with who knows who. Just saying, I would think if they knew there were firearms being transported, that they would be more careful about who ended up with them. Since their biggest beef is about safety right?
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehören

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    Whether or not you decide to bring it this trip, is up to you. I recently had to fly from Cleveland OH, and Portland OR. My CPL covered me carrying in Ohio, but not in Oregon, but I checked the laws in both before I left. I also looked up the rules that the Airline I was flying with had in place, so when I arrived at the airport I knew my guns were stowed properly. The airline check-in counter went smoothly, but when I got to the TSA screener area for baggage, they seemed clueless as to the procedure. After about a 10 minute debate and phone call, they finally ran my bag through the X-ray screening machine, and it didn't explode or set off the alarm, I was sent on my way. What I found frustrating though was, once I went to retrieve my luggage in Portland, my suitcase was just put on the normal conveyor, where anyone could have snagged it up, and my firearms would have ended up with who knows who. Just saying, I would think if they knew there were firearms being transported, that they would be more careful about who ended up with them. Since their biggest beef is about safety right?
    Pretty much what I figured- all of you- but thought I'd check anyway. Just feel naked without my piece..
    In any event, my host will have sidearms at his location, so not too big a deal, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    It must be in a locked metal 'approved' gun box and declared at the ticket window. Do yourself a favor... leave it in FL. MD's too much of a hassle in even transporting a handgun. Most 'gun' travelers avoid MD altogether.
    Do you have a link for the "metal" box requirement?

I used to fly into and from BWI on a monthly basis with firearms and never had an issue or a problem with the plastic Pelican gun cases.
    I would use padlocks though.

A lot of people are afraid to travel with guns to BWI (maryland) but Im living proof that its possible and pretty stress free as long as you follow Federal and States Regs. I say bring your pistol/rifle.

Here's a pic of the one of my Pelican cases from their website:
    Last edited by Sig229; 04-27-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Reagan (National) is in VA.

The TSA regs say a locked case. Doesn't specify material.

Pelican cases are excellent.

SW Airlines: http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...ggage-pol.html Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, locked container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:
    A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.
    A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.
    The locked container or suitcase must completely secure the firearm from access. Cases or suitcases that can be pulled open with minimal effort do not meet the locked criterion.
    Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.

My 'hard case' is aluminum... so my ref to metal was a mental image.

Leave your guns in FL if your host has 'em in MD. Being originally 'from' MD, their ridiculous attitudes toward firearms is one reason I will never return to visit. As the OP indicated... you feel 'nekkid' w/o your sidearm when you're used to carrying daily.
    Last edited by Sonora Rebel; 04-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.