Thread: I found out why New Yawk will not allow firearms in private possession

I found out why New Yawk will not allow firearms in private possession

I got an email from policeone.com today. When I saw it, I thought 'another sex descrim case". As I read on it became a comedy/tragedy story I thought you all would love. Now I know why the NYPD does not want anyone to have access or carry a pistol. It seems as they really do not know how to use them. The case was a year ago, but it is only coming out because the female LEO is getting fired over it. I love this part and I will leave a link to the article.

The police officer fired 45 shots — one round in his gun's chamber, two 15-round magazines and all but one round in his third magazine. He told investigators he thought he was out of ammo. The sergeant also fired one shot he kept in the chamber, two 15-shot magazines and eight rounds from his third magazine
    Thing is, perp only got hit once. Who do they hire? the Three Stooges?? no it was only two of them.

http://www.policeone.com/use-of-forc...cessive-force/

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sho...ect-who-lives/
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 04-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

The link you have provided is going to a different story about police using excessive force on an emotionally disturbed man and no shots were fired.

It looks like this is the story you wanted to link

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sho...ect-who-lives/

I believe somewhere back east a few years ago.... There were something like 6 officers were in a gun fight in a home and ended up shooting a couple of their fellow officers in the process.
    Last edited by BigDave; 04-27-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

oh yes, following one link and drifting to another, sorry mate, thanks for the fix
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I found this of interest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act

I thought it says the perp got hit 14 times, not 1 time? Am I reading the same story? Still crappy shooting, but just about the average (less than 20%).

All you Massad Ayoob fans out there, wasn't he one of the instructors responsible for the NYPD training curriculum?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    All you Massad Ayoob fans out there, wasn't he one of the instructors responsible for the NYPD training curriculum?
    I'm sure he's got a good excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    You can teach an LEO to shoot, but you CANT make them practice.

(you can make them qualify once or twice a year, but not practice )

The "gun culture" for LEO and non-LEO are far and away different. Many LEO are of the understanding that the badge magically imbues them with all the accuracy and fundamentals they will ever need.

Whats more sad is that I think most non-LEO believe the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    You can teach an LEO to shoot, but you CANT make them practice.

(you can make them qualify once or twice a year, but not practice )

The "gun culture" for LEO and non-LEO are far and away different. Many LEO are of the understanding that the badge magically imbues them with all the accuracy and fundamentals they will ever need.

Whats more sad is that I think most non-LEO believe the same thing.
    Ain't that the truth. I was leaving a range one time and a couple of LEOs were outside in a squad car having lunch or something. One of them called out to me asking what I was using to shoot with. One thing led to another and I showed him my target (15yrds, hand gun, 12" group with some fliers) and he goes "wow, you're an amazing shot."
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett