• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I found out why New Yawk will not allow firearms in private possession

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I got an email from policeone.com today. When I saw it, I thought 'another sex descrim case". As I read on it became a comedy/tragedy story I thought you all would love. Now I know why the NYPD does not want anyone to have access or carry a pistol. It seems as they really do not know how to use them. The case was a year ago, but it is only coming out because the female LEO is getting fired over it. I love this part and I will leave a link to the article.

The police officer fired 45 shots — one round in his gun's chamber, two 15-round magazines and all but one round in his third magazine. He told investigators he thought he was out of ammo. The sergeant also fired one shot he kept in the chamber, two 15-shot magazines and eight rounds from his third magazine
Thing is, perp only got hit once. Who do they hire? the Three Stooges?? no it was only two of them.

http://www.policeone.com/use-of-for...pended-NJ-cop-I-was-stopping-excessive-force/

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...5-NY-cops-fire-84-shots-at-suspect-who-lives/

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The link you have provided is going to a different story about police using excessive force on an emotionally disturbed man and no shots were fired.

It looks like this is the story you wanted to link

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...5-NY-cops-fire-84-shots-at-suspect-who-lives/

I believe somewhere back east a few years ago.... There were something like 6 officers were in a gun fight in a home and ended up shooting a couple of their fellow officers in the process.

Last edited:

skiingislife725

I thought it says the perp got hit 14 times, not 1 time? Am I reading the same story? Still crappy shooting, but just about the average (less than 20%).

FMCDH

All you Massad Ayoob fans out there, wasn't he one of the instructors responsible for the NYPD training curriculum?

You can teach an LEO to shoot, but you CANT make them practice.

(you can make them qualify once or twice a year, but not practice ;) )

The "gun culture" for LEO and non-LEO are far and away different. Many LEO are of the understanding that the badge magically imbues them with all the accuracy and fundamentals they will ever need.

Whats more sad is that I think most non-LEO believe the same thing.

Levi

You can teach an LEO to shoot, but you CANT make them practice.

(you can make them qualify once or twice a year, but not practice ;) )

The "gun culture" for LEO and non-LEO are far and away different. Many LEO are of the understanding that the badge magically imbues them with all the accuracy and fundamentals they will ever need.

Whats more sad is that I think most non-LEO believe the same thing.

Ain't that the truth. I was leaving a range one time and a couple of LEOs were outside in a squad car having lunch or something. One of them called out to me asking what I was using to shoot with. One thing led to another and I showed him my target (15yrds, hand gun, 12" group with some fliers) and he goes "wow, you're an amazing shot."