Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46

Thread: AS OF 1600hrs - New Mexico Reciprocity Now 5 States

  1. #1
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clovis, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    219

    AS OF 1600hrs - New Mexico Reciprocity Now 5 States

    NEW MEXICO NOW HAS RECIPROCITY WITH FOUR STATES! MO, NE, NC, ND and OK.

    Tell you what. Hit the link at the bottom and see just how many states NM thinks are "substantially similar" to NM.

    Let me help you to save you some trouble.

    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Mississippi:
    Montana
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New York
    Ohio
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

    None of which are 'substantially similar'. New Mexico is probably next if he gets his way.

    http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-c...ty-agreements/

    Again, we are working on this issue but calls to Gov. Martinez and the DPS CCU may help answer some of your questions.

    Steve Aikens

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Looks like they are just voiding all of the existing agreements. Is somebody from NJ, NY running the show now???
    States donít have rights. People do.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    23
    WOW

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaikens View Post
    NEW MEXICO NOW HAS RECIPROCITY WITH FOUR STATES! MO, NE, NC, ND and OK.

    Tell you what. Hit the link at the bottom and see just how many states NM thinks are "substantially similar" to NM.

    Let me help you to save you some trouble.

    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Mississippi:
    Montana
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New York
    Ohio
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

    None of which are 'substantially similar'. New Mexico is probably next if he gets his way.

    http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-c...ty-agreements/

    Again, we are working on this issue but calls to Gov. Martinez and the DPS CCU may help answer some of your questions.

    Steve Aikens
    Hi Steve. Thanks. I have contacted the Governor by e-mail, which I am sure she never sees, and Bill Hubbard, the Director of the CCW Division. Is there someone over Hubbard we all can call and/or write to? Talking to Hubbard did no good at all. In fact he was quite nasty about it. Can you supply a mailing address and names and phone numbers of those we should write to? I'll sure write, and I am sure many others will too. NM will loose a lot of tourist money as a result of all this! Bob.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bastrop, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,586
    New Mexico allows non state residents to open carry, correct? Why the hate for CC? Seems backwards.

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clovis, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    Hi Steve. Thanks. I have contacted the Governor by e-mail, which I am sure she never sees, and Bill Hubbard, the Director of the CCW Division. Is there someone over Hubbard we all can call and/or write to? Talking to Hubbard did no good at all. In fact he was quite nasty about it. Can you supply a mailing address and names and phone numbers of those we should write to? I'll sure write, and I am sure many others will too. NM will loose a lot of tourist money as a result of all this! Bob.
    If you contact the Gov. through the site, it won't go directly to her. However, it will get to her aides, which in turn will get it passed on. As we all know, the Gov. can't sit and read every email or she wouldn't be able to do anything else. The point is, you can get information to her through her aides. As to losing tourist money - the reality of that is this will have very little impact - if at all - on the tourist trade in NM. Certainly it will affect some but most that consider coming to NM are going to do so regardless of the firearms laws here.

    The person over Dir Hubbard is Cabinet Secretary Eden. I do not have an email address for him. Best I can do is give you a link to the DPS contact page: http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/contact/

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    431
    This is one of the worst cases of job justification I have ever seen.

    What was once an excellent license to have with strong acceptance throughout the country will now turn to almost worthless crap outside of this state. People are definitely turned off by this according to initial reactions on other forums.

    Now we are safe from the mayhem caused here by all those cc'ers from other states who don't have our "extensive" training. Oh wait, that has never occurred. So this is not based on actual happenings in the real world.

    Now we will be unable to go to other states and protect ourselves while away from home, unless we take extensive other means to do so. IE- get other state licenses that are accepted in places we wish to visit.

    Way to go, COMRADE Hubbard. Way to go.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    23

    Who now accepts NM?

    Now that you folks know what New Mexico accepts, does anyone now know who accepts NM with all these changes? I have an e-mail into Gary, one of the admins at handgunlaw.us - I'm waiting to hear back from him, hopefully sometime this weekend. I have no idea how to get in touch with usacarry.com so they can update their maps.

    Roy

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy V View Post
    Now that you folks know what New Mexico accepts, does anyone now know who accepts NM with all these changes? I have an e-mail into Gary, one of the admins at handgunlaw.us - I'm waiting to hear back from him, hopefully sometime this weekend. I have no idea how to get in touch with usacarry.com so they can update their maps.

    Roy
    Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, and Oklahoma are the only states NM honors as of now

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by castiel View Post
    Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, and Oklahoma are the only states NM honors as of now
    Thanks for the response castiel, but what states now honor NM?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaikens View Post
    If you contact the Gov. through the site, it won't go directly to her. However, it will get to her aides, which in turn will get it passed on. As we all know, the Gov. can't sit and read every email or she wouldn't be able to do anything else. The point is, you can get information to her through her aides. As to losing tourist money - the reality of that is this will have very little impact - if at all - on the tourist trade in NM. Certainly it will affect some but most that consider coming to NM are going to do so regardless of the firearms laws here.

    The person over Dir Hubbard is Cabinet Secretary Eden. I do not have an email address for him. Best I can do is give you a link to the DPS contact page: http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/contact/
    Thanks Steve. Do you know who can open carry in NM? Can legal or illegal non-citizens OC. I am just curious. If they do that would seem to violate their not issuing CCW's to them or using it as a reason for cancellation of reciprocity with states that issue to legal non-citizens. Regards, Bob.
    Last edited by BobF; 04-28-2012 at 11:56 AM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaikens View Post
    The point is, you can get information to her through her aides.
    That's a strong "maybe". Aides to politicians have a long and checkered history of not doing that (see "principal-agent problem"). If the aide doesn't personally like your views, their boss likely won't see what you write. It's a big reason for a politician having a skewed view of the world: they don't see a true picture because their information has been filtered by others.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    That's a strong "maybe". Aides to politicians have a long and checkered history of not doing that (see "principal-agent problem"). If the aide doesn't personally like your views, their boss likely won't see what you write. It's a big reason for a politician having a skewed view of the world: they don't see a true picture because their information has been filtered by others.
    Aides are there to do just that, aid their boss. The aide has been told what issues the boss wants to hear about and what issues the boss thinks are important and they watch for those things. They also watch for other issues that cause an unusual increase in messages. In that case, the aide will mention that to the boss and get additional instructions. Occasionally , an aide will misread the bosses instructions and miss an important issue. That is when the aide starts looking for other employment. I also helps if you can make the boss look good while doing all of this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

    William Pitt



    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

    Samuel Adams









  14. #14
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    796
    Good news! TN recognizes ALL other permits, so you're still welcome here
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Capitan, New Mexico
    Posts
    9
    Well, as my first post here, let me say that this is totally NOT acceptable . . I bet there will be a raised roof at the round house about this. All of us New Mexicans need to e-mail ALL our reps, fax them, phone them, etc and let them know this is crap and NOT acceptable. I find it hard to believe that ALL those states have less going for them with permit requirements than we here in New Mexico do . . I just thought I lived in a bananna republic, guess there are more states with lesser requirements, that is pittiful to say the least . .


    CD

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    16,850
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaikens View Post
    SNIP As we all know, the Gov. can't sit and read every email or she wouldn't be able to do anything else.
    Government being immobilized and prevented from its multitudinous iniquities is a bad thing?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. (Because that is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--for each other and everybody else--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.)

    Equality and consent of the governed: We're all equal. How can another legitimately govern me without my express consent?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    889
    Don't worry, NM will drop MO if the current omnibus firearms bill is signed. It commits the atrocity of letting active military under 21 years old get their CCW endorsement.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy V View Post
    Thanks for the response castiel, but what states now honor NM?
    Honors all other states: AK, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KY, MI*, MO, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT is the only guaranteed answer right now.

    *Resident permit only.
    States donít have rights. People do.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Honors all other states: AK, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KY, MI*, MO, NC, OK, SD, TN, UT is the only guaranteed answer right now.

    *Resident permit only.
    Interesting, thanks for the information.

    Roy

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy V View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the information.

    Roy
    and I just found out...add MS to that list effective July 1, 2012
    States donít have rights. People do.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    431
    I've been thinking about this issue (I know, that's dangerous....).

    I wish that instead of the reaction I'm seeing of people saying "If NM is going to do that, I'll go somewhere else...", people would say- "OK, if you won't let me CC I'll open carry everywhere I can. Take that, NM!"

    I would LOVE to see the unintended consequence of many out-of-state visitors coming here and open carrying everywhere. That would be fantastic.

    Of course, this is probably wishful thinking. But one can dream...

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Washington soon to return to N.M.
    Posts
    38
    Is Hubbard a "mini" RAHM EMANUEL? If so, watch out NM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member MyWifeSaidYes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Galloway and/or Logan, OH
    Posts
    1,006
    In the list of things that can get a state excluded...

    1. Permits issued locally rather than by the state;
    2. No fingerprint-based background check;
    3. Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age;
    4. Permits issued to resident aliens;
    5. No classroom (static) training required;
    6. No live-fire (dynamic) training required.

    ...only #1 is different from Ohio. We have our county Sheriff's take applications and issue the STATE Concealed Handgun License.

    The information is put into a STATE maintained database (LEADS) with statewide access to all LEA's.

    How and why should that affect reciprocity?
    Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes; 04-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

    Recoil.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by elebuttfish View Post
    Is Hubbard a "mini" RAHM EMANUEL? If so, watch out NM.
    I sure hope not - I unfortunately live in IL and we have absolutely nothing other than proposed bills to tax existing guns, tax ammo and all sorts of other crazy things.

    Roy

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Capitan, New Mexico
    Posts
    9
    In the list of things that can get a state excluded...

    1. Permits issued locally rather than by the state;
    2. No fingerprint-based background check;
    3. Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age;
    4. Permits issued to resident aliens;
    5. No classroom (static) training required;
    6. No live-fire (dynamic) training required.
    Last edited by CDinNM; 05-04-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •