• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AS OF 1600hrs - New Mexico Reciprocity Now 5 States

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
NEW MEXICO NOW HAS RECIPROCITY WITH FOUR STATES! MO, NE, NC, ND and OK.

Tell you what. Hit the link at the bottom and see just how many states NM thinks are "substantially similar" to NM.

Let me help you to save you some trouble.

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi:
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

None of which are 'substantially similar'. New Mexico is probably next if he gets his way.

http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-concealed-carry/reciprocity-agreements/

Again, we are working on this issue but calls to Gov. Martinez and the DPS CCU may help answer some of your questions.

Steve Aikens

BobF

NEW MEXICO NOW HAS RECIPROCITY WITH FOUR STATES! MO, NE, NC, ND and OK.

Tell you what. Hit the link at the bottom and see just how many states NM thinks are "substantially similar" to NM.

Let me help you to save you some trouble.

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi:
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

None of which are 'substantially similar'. New Mexico is probably next if he gets his way.

http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-concealed-carry/reciprocity-agreements/

Again, we are working on this issue but calls to Gov. Martinez and the DPS CCU may help answer some of your questions.

Steve Aikens

Hi Steve. Thanks. I have contacted the Governor by e-mail, which I am sure she never sees, and Bill Hubbard, the Director of the CCW Division. Is there someone over Hubbard we all can call and/or write to? Talking to Hubbard did no good at all. In fact he was quite nasty about it. Can you supply a mailing address and names and phone numbers of those we should write to? I'll sure write, and I am sure many others will too. NM will loose a lot of tourist money as a result of all this! Bob.

Jack House

New Mexico allows non state residents to open carry, correct? Why the hate for CC? Seems backwards.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
Hi Steve. Thanks. I have contacted the Governor by e-mail, which I am sure she never sees, and Bill Hubbard, the Director of the CCW Division. Is there someone over Hubbard we all can call and/or write to? Talking to Hubbard did no good at all. In fact he was quite nasty about it. Can you supply a mailing address and names and phone numbers of those we should write to? I'll sure write, and I am sure many others will too. NM will loose a lot of tourist money as a result of all this! Bob.
If you contact the Gov. through the site, it won't go directly to her. However, it will get to her aides, which in turn will get it passed on. As we all know, the Gov. can't sit and read every email or she wouldn't be able to do anything else. The point is, you can get information to her through her aides. As to losing tourist money - the reality of that is this will have very little impact - if at all - on the tourist trade in NM. Certainly it will affect some but most that consider coming to NM are going to do so regardless of the firearms laws here.

The person over Dir Hubbard is Cabinet Secretary Eden. I do not have an email address for him. Best I can do is give you a link to the DPS contact page: http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/contact/

AH.74

This is one of the worst cases of job justification I have ever seen.

What was once an excellent license to have with strong acceptance throughout the country will now turn to almost worthless crap outside of this state. People are definitely turned off by this according to initial reactions on other forums.

Now we are safe from the mayhem caused here by all those cc'ers from other states who don't have our "extensive" training. Oh wait, that has never occurred. So this is not based on actual happenings in the real world.

Now we will be unable to go to other states and protect ourselves while away from home, unless we take extensive other means to do so. IE- get other state licenses that are accepted in places we wish to visit.

Way to go, COMRADE Hubbard. Way to go.

Roy V

Who now accepts NM?

Now that you folks know what New Mexico accepts, does anyone now know who accepts NM with all these changes? I have an e-mail into Gary, one of the admins at handgunlaw.us - I'm waiting to hear back from him, hopefully sometime this weekend. I have no idea how to get in touch with usacarry.com so they can update their maps.

Roy

castiel

Now that you folks know what New Mexico accepts, does anyone now know who accepts NM with all these changes? I have an e-mail into Gary, one of the admins at handgunlaw.us - I'm waiting to hear back from him, hopefully sometime this weekend. I have no idea how to get in touch with usacarry.com so they can update their maps.

Roy

Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, and Oklahoma are the only states NM honors as of now

BobF

If you contact the Gov. through the site, it won't go directly to her. However, it will get to her aides, which in turn will get it passed on. As we all know, the Gov. can't sit and read every email or she wouldn't be able to do anything else. The point is, you can get information to her through her aides. As to losing tourist money - the reality of that is this will have very little impact - if at all - on the tourist trade in NM. Certainly it will affect some but most that consider coming to NM are going to do so regardless of the firearms laws here.

The person over Dir Hubbard is Cabinet Secretary Eden. I do not have an email address for him. Best I can do is give you a link to the DPS contact page: http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/contact/

Thanks Steve. Do you know who can open carry in NM? Can legal or illegal non-citizens OC. I am just curious. If they do that would seem to violate their not issuing CCW's to them or using it as a reason for cancellation of reciprocity with states that issue to legal non-citizens. Regards, Bob.

Last edited:

randian

The point is, you can get information to her through her aides.
That's a strong "maybe". Aides to politicians have a long and checkered history of not doing that (see "principal-agent problem"). If the aide doesn't personally like your views, their boss likely won't see what you write. It's a big reason for a politician having a skewed view of the world: they don't see a true picture because their information has been filtered by others.

CDinNM

Well, as my first post here, let me say that this is totally NOT acceptable . . I bet there will be a raised roof at the round house about this. All of us New Mexicans need to e-mail ALL our reps, fax them, phone them, etc and let them know this is crap and NOT acceptable. I find it hard to believe that ALL those states have less going for them with permit requirements than we here in New Mexico do . . I just thought I lived in a bananna republic, guess there are more states with lesser requirements, that is pittiful to say the least . .

CD

kcgunfan

Don't worry, NM will drop MO if the current omnibus firearms bill is signed. It commits the atrocity of letting active military under 21 years old get their CCW endorsement.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

AH.74

I've been thinking about this issue (I know, that's dangerous....).

I wish that instead of the reaction I'm seeing of people saying "If NM is going to do that, I'll go somewhere else...", people would say- "OK, if you won't let me CC I'll open carry everywhere I can. Take that, NM!"

I would LOVE to see the unintended consequence of many out-of-state visitors coming here and open carrying everywhere. That would be fantastic.

Of course, this is probably wishful thinking. But one can dream...