• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trigger pull mod

CTSurvivor

I find this very interesting since I will be sending back smith&Wesson for a trigger repair. If in fact the trigger is replaced ot work is performed to repair such triggers operation am i then a criminaL if i ever need to use in self defense? Will i be able to produce documentation from the manufacturer to state its lighter and sue manufacturer for it? Do night sight make you more likely to shoot in the dark? Does having a custom made holster insuate you wanted to really conceal your gun? All stupid questions unless we end up on the opposite side of the bench. Anyone care to provide a legal case for reference.

I agree. Any cite of authority would be nice. A published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc... as stated right in the forum rules.

Type of ammo, holster, training, and caliber can all be argued in a court of law.
Saying not to enhance your trigger to make a shooter more accurate to better hit his intended target is an even worse argument.

KIX

Here, from a thread I grabbed elsewhere, but there is a valid link:

(http://online.ceb.com/calcases/CA4/5CA4t822.htm)
Basically, what happened was Mrs. Du shot Latasha Harlins with a 38 S&W revolver. Part of Mrs. Du's defense claim was that she didn't know of the "hair trigger" the gun supposedly had.

The entire court case is long, so I'll post the relevant parts here.(Emphasis mine)

Here is what their supposed expert whitness said for the record. I am quite disappointed in their whitness.
David Butler, a Los Angeles Police Department ballistics expert, testified extensively about the gun, a Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver with a two-inch barrel. In summary, he testified that the gun had been altered crudely and that the trigger pull necessary to fire the gun had been drastically reduced. Also, both the locking mechanism of the hammer and the main spring tension screw of the gun had been altered so that the hammer could be released without putting much pressure on the trigger. In addition, the safety mechanism did not function properly.

The part of the court's opinion regarding this is here.
The court commented at sentencing that it did not "believe that Mrs. Du would be here today if the gun that she grabbed for protection had not been altered." The court elaborated: "This was a gun that had been stolen from the Du family and had been returned to them shortly before the shooting. The court has been presented with no evidence, and I do not believe that Mrs. Du knew that the gun had been altered in such a way as to ... make it an automatic weapon with a hairpin trigger. Ordinarily a .38 revolver is one of the safest guns in the world. Ordinarily, a woman Mrs. Du's size would have to decide consciously to pull the trigger and exert considerable strength to do so, but that was not true of the gun used to shoot Latasha Harlins. I have serious questions in my mind whether this crime would have been committed at all but for the altered gun."

Ultimately she got probation for her acts....

For that, she was lucky.

Then there's US v Olofson, famous case about a rifle that was supposedly "broken" and double fired. This guy was still doing time last I knew. ATF took the gun, didn't allow the defense to have an expert look at it. Just because the AR did a double tap and an ATF agent happened to observe it.

Different scenario, but still clueless juries with firearms dishing out jail time for something they obviously can't comprehend (and a judge that let the system railroad this man).

That being said......... Especially in CT, I don't want to be the test case.

Also, I think if you do have a modified trigger, and you actually defend yourself, I think the modified trigger is the least of your issues - at least survival is the first.

I'm not saying don't - it's your choice. I've seen crazier arguments in court that made my head spin.

Jonathan

Yes this is an older court case, but it was one we are currently studying.

Rich B

'Hair trigger' is a term used when stupid people use stupid defenses. If you shoot someone when you are in fear for your life, don't go around telling people you shot the person accidentally.

If I shot the guy, I mean to shoot him. Case closed. The weight, travel or feeling of my trigger means nothing in my choice as I wouldn't draw my firearm on someone who wasn't presenting an imminent threat to my life. Everything I did after I drew was intentional.

Right or wrong, you live and die in your scope of responsibility.

Good training would have fixed this man's case. Not a trigger job.

BFDMikeCT

That case doesn't sound relevant cause from what it says it was crudely modified, to me that means either some one did it at home with a file an a hammer or hired a hack. I was talking about a manufactured part installed by a gun shop. Am I crazy or are they 2 different things. I spoke to a cop yesterday and he said that if you were defending your life it doesn't matter what your trigger pull is. justified is justified!

KIX

no matter how many law classes they believe they have attended.

Yep, I only took four semesters, and tell people to get their own attorney.

For the record, gun classes are no substitute for an attorney.

Jonathan