• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trigger pull mod

BFDMikeCT

I am sorry of this has been discussed already but I didn't see it when I searched. I wanted a lighter trigger pull on a gun I am looking at purchasing and the store owner told me that if I change it and have to defend myself with it as I plan on carrying it, that I would serve jail time and maybe face murder charges if that person should die. All because I changed the trigger pull. Please any help on this I would appreciate. Signed,
The new guy!

Last edited:

rt1983

Also interested, as the pistol I am getting is for target shooting....

Rich B

I don't think people who say things like "lighter trigger" == jail time quite know what they are talking about. Just about everything with relation to self defense really comes down to how well you can articulate your decisions.

Instead of debating the merits and issues however, I think a good training course with shooting instruction and discussions on self defense law would be far more valuable.

Trigger pull, in my opinion, is not very relevant and is simply a matter of preference. Many people do it for the wrong reasons though and training can help determine if this is the right course of action or not.

Last edited:

rt1983

I really enjoyed my instructor as he is a friend of a close friend, and he put a lot of emphasis on our state laws and what would or would not hold up in court as far as "defensive carrying" and shooting for self defense....
Anyway I was wondering more along the lines of anything that modifies a weapon, not particularly trigger pull. For example, ruger target pistols have magazine safety mods and bolt "slingshot" mods, the list goes on. Could any modification of a pistol of any kind be used against you?

IH8SPM

I don't think people who say things like "lighter trigger" == jail time quite know what they are talking about. Just about everything with relation to self defense really comes down to how well you can articulate your decisions.

Instead of debating the merits and issues however, I think a good training course with shooting instruction and discussions on self defense law would be far more valuable.

Trigger pull, in my opinion, is not very relevant and is simply a matter of preference. Many people do it for the wrong reasons though and training can help determine if this is the right course of action or not.

Spoken like the Hero he is. Education is the best lesson in opinions.

BFDMikeCT

The main reason that I would want to change the trigger is because I want to do some target shooting as well as carry. I don't want a 10 pound trigger to target shoot.

KIX

What Rich B. said is entirely correct.

I tell my students that they'd be better off with better training.

If you want a lighter trigger however, get a second gun to target shot with.

I learned in law classes (not a lawyer, just a couple years of courses) if you can poke a hole in an argument, you add suspicion and doubt. I wouldn't want a raging prosecutor to say "he even modified his gun so he can get more rounds off". Doesn't mean he is right at all. Any similar arguments don't have to be factual at all, just plant the seed.

Then, you have to hope that you have jurors that are shooters or understand shooting sports to understand your defense. Nearly 174,000 permit holders with a two million plus citizenship in CT. Odds are entirely in your favor.

If it's a matter of having a more stable defense, I'd much rather buy the second gun for target or competition and carry the stock version of the same gun on my side.

Training...... is never a bad thing.

Jonathan

JohnnyO

I learned in law classes (not a lawyer, just a couple years of courses) if you can poke a hole in an argument, you add suspicion and doubt. I wouldn't want a raging prosecutor to say "he even modified his gun so he can get more rounds off". Doesn't mean he is right at all. Any similar arguments don't have to be factual at all, just plant the seed.

Jonathan

Prosecutor: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury our analysis of the weapon used in this shooting has revealed that the defendant modified this weapon. Modified it in a way that makes it easier to pull the trigger. What was done resulted in what is commonly referred to as a 'Hair Trigger'. Do you think it is reasonable to believe the defendant knows more about firearms manufacture than a multi-million dollar corporation that has been producing these firearms for decades? Or perhaps the defendant was trying to make it easier for himself to shoot someone? I submit you consider the latter."

Last edited:

CTSurvivor

Prosecutor: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury our analysis of the weapon used in this shooting has revealed that the defendant modified this weapon. Modified it in a way that makes it easier to pull the trigger. What was done resulted in what is commonly referred to as a 'Hair Trigger'. Do you think it is reasonable to believe the defendant knows more about firearms manufacture than a multi-million dollar corporation that has been producing these firearms for decades? Or perhaps the defendant was trying to make it easier for himself to shoot someone? I submit you consider the latter."

This is plainly rediculous to say. Unless your a prosecutor, your just guessing and trying to scare people.

Read the CT statues and show me the law where it states people can't lighten a trigger pull.

lockman

State Researcher
I fail to understand what relevance the trigger pull force or other legal modification to a firearm would have any legal bearing on the result of a legitimate/legal use of force.

If you a justified to draw and fire a 10 lbs trigger, are you not justified if it has been legally modified to 8, 5 or 3-1 /2 lbs?

The only legal action where this bucket may hold water would be a negligent discharge situation where the modification can be argued as at least a contributory factor. It is much more likely that an improper holster, lack thereof or finger on the trigger when not ready to fire is the reason then the trigger pull force.

BFDMikeCT

I would love to get two guns one for carry and one to target shoot. With two kids and a wife that has not received a paycheck in over a year that is not an option right now.

CTSurvivor

I fail to understand what relevance the trigger pull force or other legal modification to a firearm would have any legal bearing on the result of a legitimate/legal use of force.

If you a justified to draw and fire a 10 lbs trigger, are you not justified if it has been legally modified to 8, 5 or 3-1 /2 lbs?

The only legal action where this bucket may hold water would be a negligent discharge situation where the modification can be argued as at least a contributory factor. It is much more likely that an improper holster, lack thereof or finger on the trigger when not ready to fire is the reason then the trigger pull force.

I agree with you 100%

Rich B

Further, if you have a 10lb trigger and miss and cause damage/injury/death to a third party, look at the liability then.

Get a good firearm set up coupling the experience of training and the advice of good instructors. Get good at shooting and confident with your skill and platform.

There is far more bad advice than good advice out there, be careful of your sources for information.

JohnnyO

This is plainly rediculous to say. Unless your a prosecutor, your just guessing and trying to scare people.

Read the CT statues and show me the law where it states people can't lighten a trigger pull.

Ridiculous, not at all!

It is perfectly legal to lighten the trigger pull to what ever you want. I never said otherwise. However doing so could present an opportunity to the prosecution to exploit. Not guaranteed at all but possible.

CTSurvivor

Ridiculous, not at all!

It is perfectly legal to lighten the trigger pull to what ever you want. I never said otherwise. However doing so could present an opportunity to the prosecution to exploit. Not guaranteed at all but possible.

I have been around those gun shops that sell people on this ridiculous notion. Also coming from those same people who are telling permit holders it is illegal to open carry. Because a gun store said it, it has to be true. :rolleyes:

So the guy who has a Kimber 1911 with a stock 3 pound 12 ounce trigger pull is less likely to get prosecuted than the guy who put a reduced 4 pound trigger pull on his Glock?
Yea ok! :rolleyes:

KIX

So the guy who has a Kimber 1911 with a stock 3 pound 12 ounce trigger pull is less likely to get prosecuted than the guy who put a reduced 4 pound trigger pull on his Glock?
Yea ok! :rolleyes:

Ummmm yes.

Look at the logic.

You're in front of a jury, a prosecutor brings up a stock version of your gun. Then brings on an expert that the gun was modified. Prosecutor makes the argument that you (or someone you paid) modified your firearm to make it "shoot faster". Shooting faster caused more injury (hoping an innocent bystander didn't get hit, mind you).

I only took a couple years of law, but man, that's an easy argument to make in front of a jury.

We know it's insane. Unless we have shooters in the jury box....... it's a gamble.

One, I'm not going to take.

Jonathan

IH8SPM

Ummmm yes.

Look at the logic.

You're in front of a jury, a prosecutor brings up a stock version of your gun. Then brings on an expert that the gun was modified. Prosecutor makes the argument that you (or someone you paid) modified your firearm to make it "shoot faster". Shooting faster caused more injury (hoping an innocent bystander didn't get hit, mind you).

I only took a couple years of law, but man, that's an easy argument to make in front of a jury.

We know it's insane. Unless we have shooters in the jury box....... it's a gamble.

One, I'm not going to take.

Jonathan

Where do extended mags fall under when carrying a compact?

Fallschirjmäger

Hair trigger.
Yes, it's ridiculous, and yes, it's going to be brought up by the prosecution as part of his "theory of the case."
Unless the trigger is dangerously light it will be countered by a competent defense.

Having "Punisher" grips will be brought up, as would "Smile, wait for flash" engraved on the muzzle end, even hand-loaded ammunition. It might not affect the legality of a shoot, but one must consider not only the law but the public (or jury's, in this case) sensibilities. Sadly, people have been convicted of things they did not do because juries were unable to vote courageously in spite of the possible consequences.

IH8SPM

I find this very interesting since I will be sending back smith&Wesson for a trigger repair. If in fact the trigger is replaced ot work is performed to repair such triggers operation am i then a criminaL if i ever need to use in self defense? Will i be able to produce documentation from the manufacturer to state its lighter and sue manufacturer for it? Do night sight make you more likely to shoot in the dark? Does having a custom made holster insuate you wanted to really conceal your gun? All stupid questions unless we end up on the opposite side of the bench. Anyone care to provide a legal case for reference.