• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms at Nevada State Parks/Recreation Areas

desertborn

So im going to say the town of Blue Diamond is also off limits due to it technically being inside the conservation area?

Vegassteve

So im going to say the town of Blue Diamond is also off limits due to it technically being inside the conservation area?

Again if you do a search you will find the thread. Mac or thebigguy posted a link to the map and yes technically it is off limits. Although not sure about the town itself, but the entire area of the red rock conservation area is very large.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Keep in mind Mac that is not a state park. And they may be trying to enforce the county or city law. Which technically your correct should be void but we all know how that goes.

I missed this response, but since the thread got bumped...

You're right. I could have sworn it was a state park. Didn't it used to be?

Anyway, while still legal, it is a bigger deal because the City of Las Vegas WILL probably unlawfully harass the legal gun carrier. Thank you for the clarification.

If you have the time and money and don't mind the ride, you can let them harass you and win a lawsuit.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I wont go unarmed but im not thrilled about this unloaded carry at all. (Made all the worse by having to carry in my pack instead of on my belt already).

I'm not sure why you have to carry in your pack instead of on your belt, but keep in mind that a firearm concealed in a backpack technically requires a CCW permit while the backpack is being worn.

desertborn

Again if you do a search you will find the thread. Mac or thebigguy posted a link to the map and yes technically it is off limits. Although not sure about the town itself, but the entire area of the red rock conservation area is very large.

Ill go back and click on a few links, I did find the thread thank you.

Vegassteve

I missed this response, but since the thread got bumped...

You're right. I could have sworn it was a state park. Didn't it used to be?

Anyway, while still legal, it is a bigger deal because the City of Las Vegas WILL probably unlawfully harass the legal gun carrier. Thank you for the clarification.

If you have the time and money and don't mind the ride, you can let them harass you and win a lawsuit.

Thats the problem, none of us have those two things. If we had some assurance from some gun rights group of helping through it all then maybe someone would step up. One group is to busy holding dinners at unfriendly places. The other is to busy holding meetings and skeet shoots at the county park that doesn't respect us.

And yes it was a state park at one time. Now if it is a city park all should be well with carry because of the new law. Correct? Didn't the council update it?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Right or wrong, I OC the red rock loop. I am left handed so when I show up on my motorcycle and give them My national park pass, they definitely get a eyeful of 1911. The National park pass may bring up another issue.

Vegassteve

Right or wrong, I OC the red rock loop. I am left handed so when I show up on my motorcycle and give them My national park pass, they definitely get a eyeful of 1911. The National park pass may bring up another issue.

Well it carries a hefty fine and jail time so just be aware. If I recall the law went into effect in 1992.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Well it carries a hefty fine and jail time so just be aware. If I recall the law went into effect in 1992.

Good memory Steve, I was able to find your reference with a little keyboard massage.here is what I found:

Target shooting can be a fun activity if done safely and is generally allowed on BLM managed public lands. After public input, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation was closed to target shooting in 1993 to provide for public safety.

Following Nevada Department of Wildlife and Red Rock supplementary rules, hunting and trapping are allowed only in specific areas within Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.
Visitors are not allowed to possess loaded weapons in Red Rock Canyon unless involved in hunting in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.

This sounds like a word game. I guess I can write them for the local, State, and Federal; regulations prohibiting carry for self defense. I did not see a penalty section. If anyone has more info, I would be interested.

Vegassteve

Here is the PDF from them it is section 3.2 page 4.
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...les.Par.11865.File.dat/Red Rock Sup Rules.pdf
I 'think' it is in the same PDF that it says violation of any of the above carries the fine and jail time. Someplace on this forum and on NV shooters I have letters from the BLM. The first time I got a letter they said CC was good to go. Then when the question came up again about OC I sent another letter referencing the first. The BLM head out here sent back and pointed out that only unloaded carry was ok, stating the other letter the ranger sent was wrong.

28kfps

Here is the PDF from them it is section 3.2 page 4.
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...les.Par.11865.File.dat/Red Rock Sup Rules.pdf
I 'think' it is in the same PDF that it says violation of any of the above carries the fine and jail time. Someplace on this forum and on NV shooters I have letters from the BLM. The first time I got a letter they said CC was good to go. Then when the question came up again about OC I sent another letter referencing the first. The BLM head out here sent back and pointed out that only unloaded carry was ok, stating the other letter the ranger sent was wrong.

Thanks for the info however, 1993? Hard to believe there has not been any changes to this 9 page document in 20 years. Is there a more recent version.

Vegassteve

Thanks for the info however, 1993? Hard to believe there has not been any changes to this 9 page document in 20 years. Is there a more recent version.

If there is they are not posting it. Thats right from the Red Rock page. Remember they are a "special" area. I think most rules for them take a act of congress it seems. That is also what the BLM person sent to me as well.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Here is the info I got in 2011 from the BLM

Hello Steve,

In response to your below question you cannot be in possession of a loaded firearm within Red Rock Canyon NCA (see section 3.2 in the attached). Although Red Rock Canyon NCA is administered by the BLM it is managed with much more restrictions because it is a national conservation area with high visitor use. The only exception would be for Hunters hunting in legal hunting areas of Red Rock following all State hunting laws.

Regards,

Robert Mitsuyasu
Supervisory LE Ranger
Southern Nevada District Office
(702) 622-5757

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Thanks for the info Steve, I called the guy who wrote that and had a good talk with him. He was back peddling, and could not tell me how these "more stringent rules" were within the scope of pre-emption. He told me it would be a misdemeanor citation if I was "busted" for loaded weapon in Red Rock.I told him that this smells like the NLV weapon in a car law, and he did not disagree.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's a good question because BLM simply ADMINISTERS these public lands. Do the lands belong to the state or federal government? Some lands do belong to the federal government, but perhaps not all their administered lands do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's a good question because BLM simply ADMINISTERS these public lands. Do the lands belong to the state or federal government? Some lands do belong to the federal government, but perhaps not all their administered lands do.
Actual ownership seems to be well hidden, best kept secret :(

Vegassteve

Thanks for the info Steve, I called the guy who wrote that and had a good talk with him. He was back peddling, and could not tell me how these "more stringent rules" were within the scope of pre-emption. He told me it would be a misdemeanor citation if I was "busted" for loaded weapon in Red Rock.I told him that this smells like the NLV weapon in a car law, and he did not disagree.

It would seem though that if it is fed land then our preemption wouldnt hold. Yes? No?

desertborn

This page has the "updated" areas for shooting as well as a map showing the conservation areas extent. It is not great but better than nothing.