• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms at Nevada State Parks/Recreation Areas

FallonJeeper

I OC'd at Lahontan State Recreation Area, last week-end. I have a yearly pass and I usually pull up in the right lane so they can sight my pass and wave me through. But, this time, I purposely stopped and asked for an "updated Rules and Regulations pamphlet". The pamphlet they gave me still showed the firearms restriction. "b. Possess a firearm, unless it is unloaded and inside a vehicle." This language was removed in 2011 as the regulation was adopted effective October 26, 2011.

Just in case you don't know the regulation I'm refering to:

Can be found here - http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nac/NAC-4...l#NAC407Sec105 and http://www.leg.state.nv.us/register/RegsReviewed/$R013-11_ADOPTED.pdf

This how it now reads with the firearms possession statement removed.

"NAC 407.105  Use of weapons. (NRS 407.0475, 407.065)

1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section or as otherwise authorized by the Administrator, in any park, a person shall not:

(a) Use a bow and arrow, slingshot or paint ball launcher;

(b) Discharge a firearm;

(c) Discharge an air rifle, spring gun or air pistol; or

(d) Throw a knife, hatchet, spear, stone or projectile.

2.  The Administrator may designate zones in which a person may, for the purposes of hunting a species that is designated by the Board of Wildlife Commissioners as a game mammal or game bird pursuant to chapter 503 of NAC, discharge a firearm or bow in accordance with the regulations of the Department of Wildlife. At each park in which a zone is designated pursuant to this subsection, the ranger in charge of the region or the supervisor of the park shall post at the headquarters of the park, and at each area within the park which is designated as a zone in which a person may discharge a firearm or bow for the purposes of hunting, maps of the designated zones within that park.

3.  Target shooting is prohibited in all areas of a park, except in an area designated as a firing range.

4.  Use of a bow to kill, capture or injure a fish is prohibited within 100 feet of a swimmer.

5.  Nothing in this section is intended to abrogate any right guaranteed by Section 11 of Article 1 of the Nevada Constitution.

(Added to NAC by Div. of St. Parks, 12-31-85, eff. 1-1-86; A 3-9-88; 7-25-90; 11-12-93; 3-20-96, eff. 4-1-96; R164-97, 3-1-98; R145-99, 1-18-2000; R118-01, 12-17-2001; R149-05, 5-4-2006; R013-11, 10-26-2011)"

I didn't have any issue. I have contacted the park rangers at Lahontan State Recreation area. They were courteous and friendly. I explained the issue with their pamphlet and they said the would update it.

I explained that I didn't want them enforcing rules/laws that don't exist, and that people would be carrying on the park now that it is legal. They agreed. We'll see how it goes. I get down their just about every other week-end in the Summer time. I will check again.

NAVYBLUE

Wife and I "camped" in our motor coach for (5) days at Valley of Fire State Park in mid April. Being a Nevada resident for about a year I am learning the state/county/city "rules". While at the visitor center paying for my camping and getting an annual state parks pass from the regular ranger I noticed the law enforcement ranger in the office. He saw my NAVY ballcap and said hi.

While he was patrolling through the campground, I stopped and asked him the rules on open carrying. He said although the park is relatively safe feel free to open carry anywhere in the park for personal protection. Said only no no was discharging firearm for other than self defense. He was born and raised in Overton, NV and we talked for a good (10) minutes about the park, hiking and things to do.

When ever he saw me while patrolling, he would always stop and ask how my stay was going. He and Ray (regular ranger) were some of the nicest, professional national/state rangers I have ever encountered and acted like they were there to serve the visitors and not harass them.

NAVYBLUE

The Big Guy

The wife and I OC'd along with my Brother in law at the Valley of Fire the day before Easter. We stopped at the Visitor Center and looked it all over and took in the nature talk. The rangers and employess saw us and never a word. Some of my out of town family was astonished that we could do that. It is a great place to visit.

TBG

28kfps

The wife and I OC'd along with my Brother in law at the Valley of Fire the day before Easter. We stopped at the Visitor Center and looked it all over and took in the nature talk. The rangers and employess saw us and never a word. Some of my out of town family was astonished that we could do that. It is a great place to visit.

TBG

Thanks for the updates on state parks. The big guy you said you went into the visitor center. I remember reading somewhere that guns were not allowed in the buildings. I do not remember if it was referring to national parks or state parks. I believe it was national parks. Can anyone clarify?

The Big Guy

Thanks for the updates on state parks. The big guy you said you went into the visitor center. I remember reading somewhere that guns were not allowed in the buildings. I do not remember if it was referring to national parks or state parks. I believe it was national parks. Can anyone clarify?

National Parks. Anywhere there are federal employess working on a regular basis is my understanding.

TBG

FallonJeeper

Went back to Lahontan State Recreation Area today. I stopped and asked for the latest Rules and Regulations. The park ranger handed me a pamphlet. I went directly to the section in question and it had the old language. I pointed it out to her. She then went and got another and it was an updated one. She explaned that they understood the new rules regarding firearms. They had intended to blacken out the possession of a firearm restriction on the old pamphlets, but then said, they would just toss them.

Sounds like we made some progress. I'll be back a few more times over the Summer.

Jason England

Can anyone tell me if OC is allowed at Floyd Lamb Park in NW Las Vegas? This park used to be a state park but ownership was transferred to the City of Las Vegas a few years ago. Signage at the front entrance to FLP states that weapons are not allowed, but I don't know if this is lawfully binding for open carry. I like to walk my dogs at the very back of the park and would like to OC while walking.

Anyone been there and gotten any answers?

Jason

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Can anyone tell me if OC is allowed at Floyd Lamb Park in NW Las Vegas? This park used to be a state park but ownership was transferred to the City of Las Vegas a few years ago. Signage at the front entrance to FLP states that weapons are not allowed, but I don't know if this is lawfully binding for open carry. I like to walk my dogs at the very back of the park and would like to OC while walking.

Jason

Nevada enjoys solid state preemption. The sign would be extra legal - ask them to remove it. That is how things get done.
http://www.opencarry.org/nv.html

The Big Guy

Jason

Unfortunately the only places in Clark County that do not enforce "park rules" concernig firearms are Henderson and Boulder City. In all other parks Las Vegas, NLV and Clark County you might just be arrested and have to fight it out in court. This issue is being worked on.

TBG

A.M.D.

I contacted the Deputy Marshals who patrol Floyd Lamb Park and they advised me that OC is not allowed.
Not sure if this is true or not.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They are lying to you. This does not mean that they won't call the police, who also may or may not detain and lie to you.

I can't tell you what to do, but carrying a loaded gun openly there is fully legal.

WRITE them, and get their response IN WRITING.

Vegassteve

They are lying to you. This does not mean that they won't call the police, who also may or may not detain and lie to you.

I can't tell you what to do, but carrying a loaded gun openly there is fully legal.

WRITE them, and get their response IN WRITING.

Keep in mind Mac that is not a state park. And they may be trying to enforce the county or city law. Which technically your correct should be void but we all know how that goes.

gunn rights

You can carry in Floyd Lamb

Jason

Jason, yes you can. Here is the link and the text provided. http://library.municode.com/HTML/14...TIT13STSIPUPL_CH13.36PAOTRECUFA_13.36.030PRXC

Here is the municipal code allowing it:

13.36.020 Prohibitions.permanent link to this piece of content

(A)
The following are prohibited within any City park, recreational facility or public plaza, including any parking area that serves the park, facility or plaza:

(1)
Glass beverage containers;

(2)
Remote control airplanes;

(3)
Remote control boats, except that battery-powered remote control boats may be used in any area that has been designated and posted to allow that activity;

(4)
Camping or lodging, except as otherwise permitted pursuant to Subsection (C);

(5)
Fires, except in barbecue facilities established in a park for that purpose;

(6)
Firearms, archery equipment or other weapons of any kind, except as otherwise provided in Subsection (D);

(7)
The hitting of golf balls, except at facilities specifically designed for that activity;

(8)
The use of park amenities for other than their intended uses, including without limitation washing clothes, bathing or showering (except in connection with the use of a swimming pool); and

(9)
The driving or parking of vehicles in areas other than those established for such use, or in a manner that violates any applicable law or ordinance pertaining to moving and non-moving violations.

(B)
Smoking in any form is prohibited at any of the following locations within a park:

(1)
In or upon any area that has been designated and posted as a children's play area, or within fifty feet of any such area;

(2)
Upon or within fifty feet of any bleachers that are being occupied for purposes of observing sporting events or recreational activities; and

(3)
In or upon any sports field or within fifty feet of the sideline, perimeter fence, or other outer boundary or perimeter of a sports field that is marked as such.

(C)
On a case-by-case basis, the Director may permit overnight camping activities within a park or recreational facility if those activities are sponsored by the City or by a duly-recognized nonprofit youth development organization.

(D)
The prohibition set forth in Paragraph (6) of Subsection (A) shall not apply to:

(1)
Activities specifically approved under this Chapter in connection with a particular event;

(2)
The possession of firearms that is otherwise permitted by State law; or

(3)
The possession of a concealed weapon by a person who holds a valid permit to do so that has been issued under, or is recognized pursuant to, the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369.

gunn rights

It is allowed..

I contacted the Deputy Marshals who patrol Floyd Lamb Park and they advised me that OC is not allowed.
Not sure if this is true or not.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/14...TIT13STSIPUPL_CH13.36PAOTRECUFA_13.36.030PRXC

13.36.020 Prohibitions.permanent link to this piece of content

(A)
The following are prohibited within any City park, recreational facility or public plaza, including any parking area that serves the park, facility or plaza:

(1)
Glass beverage containers;

(2)
Remote control airplanes;

(3)
Remote control boats, except that battery-powered remote control boats may be used in any area that has been designated and posted to allow that activity;

(4)
Camping or lodging, except as otherwise permitted pursuant to Subsection (C);

(5)
Fires, except in barbecue facilities established in a park for that purpose;

(6)
Firearms, archery equipment or other weapons of any kind, except as otherwise provided in Subsection (D);

(7)
The hitting of golf balls, except at facilities specifically designed for that activity;

(8)
The use of park amenities for other than their intended uses, including without limitation washing clothes, bathing or showering (except in connection with the use of a swimming pool); and

(9)
The driving or parking of vehicles in areas other than those established for such use, or in a manner that violates any applicable law or ordinance pertaining to moving and non-moving violations.

(B)
Smoking in any form is prohibited at any of the following locations within a park:

(1)
In or upon any area that has been designated and posted as a children's play area, or within fifty feet of any such area;

(2)
Upon or within fifty feet of any bleachers that are being occupied for purposes of observing sporting events or recreational activities; and

(3)
In or upon any sports field or within fifty feet of the sideline, perimeter fence, or other outer boundary or perimeter of a sports field that is marked as such.

(C)
On a case-by-case basis, the Director may permit overnight camping activities within a park or recreational facility if those activities are sponsored by the City or by a duly-recognized nonprofit youth development organization.

(D)
The prohibition set forth in Paragraph (6) of Subsection (A) shall not apply to:

(1)
Activities specifically approved under this Chapter in connection with a particular event;

(2)
The possession of firearms that is otherwise permitted by State law; or

(3)
The possession of a concealed weapon by a person who holds a valid permit to do so that has been issued under, or is recognized pursuant to, the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369.

The Big Guy

The City of Las Vegas illegally changed park firearms law by abolishing the old prohibition, and then instituting a new ordinance against state preemption.

You WILL beat the wrap, but you won't beat the ride. (Actually need someone to do this.)

TBG

P.S. 2011 brought about the abolition of all local firearms ordinances except for discharge and Clark County registration.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

So I'm okay to carry in Red Rock as long as I stay out of buildings?

NO NO NO NO NO. Red Rock is a special conservation area that has its on rules. Do a search on here and you will find it. You may open carry Unloaded or CC ONLY UNLOADED in Red Rock. And you can NOT carry even unloaded in the buildings.

desertborn

Well this brings up a whole new can of worms then. I grew up in this conservation area. Until January, (when signs went up saying no shooting), we target shot every month out there. We carried while riding horses or bikes and never had an issue. Granted we alson never went in the park its self but the way thatthis is worded leads me to believe it is the whole conservation area not just the area you pay to get in too. I wont go unarmed but im not thrilled about this unloaded carry at all. (Made all the worse by having to carry in my pack instead of on my belt already).