• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

examiner.com - Virginia takes final action to legalize open carry in state parks

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.examiner.com/article/virginia-takes-final-action-to-legalize-open-carry-state-parks

SNIP

In an announcement posted today in Virginia's Regulatory Town Hall, the Virginia Department of Conservation served notice to the public that the "[r]epeal of § 4VAC5-30-200 [which] prohibits the open carry of firearms in Virginia State Parks" will be published as a final rule on May 7th in Volume 28 Issue 18 of the Virginia Register of regulations. . . . This action by Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell's administration is the final chapter in a decade long regulatory fight to legalize gun carry in Virginia State Parks that spanned three state Governors and three Attorneys General. The legal journey began in 2002 by way of a Virginia Attorney General Opinion requested by then Delegate, and now Senator Dick Black (R - Leesburg).

. . .

But Virginia Citizens Defense League President Philip Van Cleave says "it's not over." There are still "a number of obscure state regulations banning gun carry without statutory authority and we are going to ferret them out," added Van Cleave.

VApatriot

Snip:
On September 26, 2008, then Attorney General McDonnell (Opinion 08-043) issued an opinion to then Senator Kenneth T. Cuccinelli, II that found that the Department of Conservation and Recreation has only such authority to restrict the open carrying of firearms which is expressly provided by law. The opinion stated that “I find no specific statutory authority granting the Department the authority to prohibit the open carrying of firearms in state parks."

Finally!!! Although it took almost four years to be finalized (I almost entirely blame Kaine for that), this goes to show you what some simple contact with one of your representatives can accomplish. All it took was a letter to my State Senator at the time, Ken, asking him to request an AG opinion on the matter from Bob, and that got the ball rolling.

The system does work (at least sometimes). Every citizens has the potential to be a difference-maker. So stay informed! Stay active! And stay involved!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Snip:

Finally!!! Although it took almost four years to be finalized (I almost entirely blame Kaine for that), this goes to show you what some simple contact with one of your representatives can accomplish. All it took was a letter to my State Senator at the time, Ken, asking him to request an AG opinion on the matter from Bob, and that got the ball rolling.

The system does work (at least sometimes). Every citizens has the potential to be a difference-maker. So stay informed! Stay active! And stay involved!

The only reason the system worked VP, is beause we hounded that two faced SOB night and day. It would never have happened otherwise.

TFred

It's almost as if they think they're on some sort of a payment plan... trot out something for the "pro-gun" crowd every few months, just to remind us they're still there... and their opposition is still worse than they are.

TFred

TFred

Amusing conclusion

The last paragraph of the Agency Statement. Not only has there been no "blood in the streets," some people might even "feel safer," which is obviously the goal of any regulation of this nature in the first place... :rolleyes:

TFred

Enforcement of 4VAC5-30-200 of the Virginia State Parks Regulations prohibiting the opencarry
of firearms in state parks and natural area preserves ceased immediately in accordance with
direction received from Governor McDonnell on January 14, 2011. Since that time, the
Department has not experienced any incidents directly related to cessation of enforcement of this
regulatory section.
As such, the health, welfare, and safety of the visitors to the Department’s
properties as well as their recreational enjoyment of the lands and facilities has not been
diminished as a result of the cessation of enforcement of this regulation and accordingly no
impacts are anticipated associated with the formal repeal of this section. Additionally, some
visitors may feel safer
as a result of their ability to open carry firearms on the Department’s
properties.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not only honesty in government, but a lack of desembling? It must be a dream, but if it is please do not awaken me.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Am I correct in my understanding that this is effective now?

We have to define "this".

The rule change above is not in effect yet. It has to go through the entire process and in the case of the VDOF change, can take a very long time.....However,

McDonnell sent a letter to Parks a year ago (Not sure of the date), that I published here, ordering the Director to cease enforcement of the rule.

So no, the rule is still on the books but, yes it is no longer being enforced. Confused yet?:lol:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
the actual repeal will likely be effective 60 days after publication in the register.

Assuming they don't extend the comment period, or the anti's don't convince a member of the legislature to intervene or the stars don't align and McDonnell doesn't submit his paperwork or assuming Parks doesn't put it on the back burner like VDOF did.

That's a lot of assuming under an Administration best know for back sliding.

Last edited: