• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mecosta County Parks OC?

SparkyTech

Greetings,

First post as a new member. I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with carrying (open or concealed) in Mecosta County Parks (Brower Park, etc...). We camp there every year and I read on their postings in the office that firearms are prohibited.

Their posted rules (as amended in January 2012 link to full listing: http://www.mecostacountyparks.com/2012 Rules and Regs.pdf) state:

Section 23: FIREARMS

No Person Shall:
Sec.23.a Have in possession a firearm or bow unless properly licensed and only during the
appropriate hunting season.

Sec.23.b Carry or have in possession a firearm unless unloaded in both barrel and
magazine.

Sec.23.c Carry or have in possession a bow with an arrow in the release position.

Sec.23.d Carry or have in possession an uncased firearm or bow unless properly licensed
and only during the appropriate hunting season and only while traveling to and
from the hunting area.

Sec.23.e Store firearms and ammunition unless kept in locked cases and/or trigger guards
attached when not in use.

Sec.23.f Discharge a weapon of any kind, including an air rifle, air pistol, pellet gun, sling
shot or crossbow, on Commission property except at times and in locations
authorized by the Commission for such purpose.

Sec.23.g An exception to the above rules, will be made for peace officers.

Anyone else have any dealings with Mecosta County Parks? I would imagine that being a "County Park", that they wouldn't be able to regulate this.

Thank you for your replies,

SparkyTech

xmanhockey7

Greetings,

First post as a new member. I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with carrying (open or concealed) in Mecosta County Parks (Brower Park, etc...). We camp there every year and I read on their postings in the office that firearms are prohibited.

Their posted rules (as amended in January 2012 link to full listing: http://www.mecostacountyparks.com/2012 Rules and Regs.pdf) state:

Section 23: FIREARMS

No Person Shall:
Sec.23.a Have in possession a firearm or bow unless properly licensed and only during the

Sec.23.b Carry or have in possession a firearm unless unloaded in both barrel and
magazine.

Sec.23.c Carry or have in possession a bow with an arrow in the release position.

Sec.23.d Carry or have in possession an uncased firearm or bow unless properly licensed
from the hunting area.

Sec.23.e Store firearms and ammunition unless kept in locked cases and/or trigger guards

Sec.23.f Discharge a weapon of any kind, including an air rifle, air pistol, pellet gun, sling

Anyone else have any dealings with Mecosta County Parks? I would imagine that being a "County Park", that they wouldn't be able to regulate this.

Thank you for your replies,

SparkyTech

Never been but like you said if it is indeed a county park preemption would prohibit them from doing this. The only thing they could regulate there is the discharge of a firearm.

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2. A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

123.1104 Prohibiting discharge of pistol or other firearm.
Sec. 4. This act does not prohibit a city or a charter township from prohibiting the discharge of a pistol or other firearm within the jurisdiction of that city or charter township.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I'll write a letter and send it here: info@mecostacountyparks.com

Mecosta County Parks Commission
22250 Northland Dr.
Paris, MI 49338

Dear Administrator,

I am the Director of Research for Michigan Open Carry, Inc. a Michigan non-profit pro-gun rights organization that was formed to educate the public and the law enforcement community on the legality of openly carrying a firearm and to preserve our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] amendment rights. I recently became aware of an illegal ordinance that you have in regards to banning firearms in your parks. The pertinent section is below. http://www.mecostacountyparks.com/20...and%20Regs.pdf

No Person Shall:

magazine.

from the hunting area.

As you may or may not know, in 1990 the State of Michigan passed MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

The only activity you can regulate in regards to firearms is hunting and discharge.

In MCRGO v. Ferndale, the Michigan Court of Appeals held that local units of government may not impose restrictions upon firearms possession.

THE MICHIGAN APPEALS COURT CONCLUDED: April 29, 2003 9:10 am. v No. 242237

In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically imposes a prohibition on local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas.
Further, we conclude that the specific language of the 2000 amendments to MCL 28.421 et seq., particularly §§ 5c and 5o, which were adopted more than a decade after the enactment of § 1102, do not repeal § 1102 or otherwise reopen this area to local regulation of the carrying of firearms.17 Accordingly, we hold that the Ferndale ordinance is preempted by state law and, consequently, we reverse.

Our hope is that you amend this ordinance within 90 days of this email and any other ordinance that bans firearms. I have contacted other municipalities and they have chosen to amend their ordinances to avoid any possible civil suits like that mentioned above. For further information on open carry and citizens’ rights see this newsletter published by the Law Enforcement Action Forum (LEAF) of the Municipal League of Michigan. http://www.mml.org/insurance/shared/publications/leaf_newsletter/2009_04.pdf
And Michigan State Police legal update here: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully yours.

Last edited:

aadvark

To ALL Whom are Concerned:

During My Visit to Michigan, and Oddly enough, in Big Rapids, Michigan, I was Instrumental in getting The Big Rapids Library to Remove its Preempted Rule Governing Firearms on Library Property.

My Change was Reflected under a Revised Copy of that Rule, which Specifically Excludes Firearms!

Mecosta County and Big Rapids are Knowledgeable on The Michigan Legislatures' Firearms Preemption Law, ACT 319 of 1990.

However, Everyone should CONTINUE TO PURSUE This Matter until Mecosta County Parks and Recreation Removes This Rule.

aadvark

SparkyTech

Thank You!

Thank you very much for sending that. Please keep us informed on any replies.

I did read about the previous issues concerning the Library in Big Rapids (same county I believe) so I was surprised to see this had not been updated for the county parks already.

Just trying to keep them honest!

Thanks again,

SparkyTech