• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My concealed-carry permit came in days(Journal Sentinel Columnist James Causey)

ccwinstructor

Centurion
The Wisconsin Department of Justice deserves credit for the quick turnaround of concealed-carry permits.

I took a two-hour concealed-carry carry class several weeks ago to go through the process. The instructor gave the students a Cliff's Notes version of what the new concealed-carry law entails. The law does not require that the instructor show students how to handle a handgun. I have handgun and rifle experience. Some of the people taking the firearms training class freely admitted that they had no experience, but after taking the class all they needed to do was send a check or money order to the DOJ and they can legally carry a concealed weapon.

My permit came within eight days.

The permit is the size of a credit card and fits into your wallet. I was a bit surprised to see that it is only valid for five years, so I will have to check to see what happens after that. Will I get a new one in the mail? Will I have to take another class? Mail in another $50? I guess I need to go to the DOJ website to see.

Last week the department announced that it topped the 100,000 concealed-carry permit mark. I'm number 100,479.

I liked everything about the process except for the lack of handgun training.

Any other thoughts on the process?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/149139525.html

BerettaFS92Custom

Minimalist

It is a huge responsibility to carry a firearm. Whether you open carry with no permission slip or decide to go a step up the ladder and carry concealed.

The two hour class sounds like a joke. I would recommend that he gets more training for his own good.

I also wonder how many times he has been to the range and how familiar he is with the operation and cleaning of his firearm of choice.

I hope at the minimum he has read the various materials available online to at least have an idea of the laws, and shoot don't shoot scenarios.

But based on his statement about how to get the 2nd 5 year permission slip I highly doubt he has read much at all.

Good luck to him and I hope it turns out in his favor.

GreenCountyPete

It is a huge responsibility to carry a firearm. Whether you open carry with no permission slip or decide to go a step up the ladder and carry concealed.

But based on his statement about how to get the 2nd 5 year permission slip I highly doubt he has read much at all.

Good luck to him and I hope it turns out in his favor.

Not sure he is taking it seriously either , that bothers me when people treat it that way , makes us all look bad

as much as i disagree with required training , it bothers me when people don't even bother to understand the basics like the 5 year renewal, sounds like he did the absolute basics to get a CCL so he could write a column making fun of it in his new paper , if i was that guys boss i would be upset that he did such lazy work as a journalist.

when he could have used the column to do several segments more thoroughly explaining the process to the general public so that more people can understand. there is so much urban legend and miss information , about guns , shooting , concealed carry.

i would encourage him to write a more comprehensive work on a good path to CCL , list places to get training after he has attended several , where to shoot , review some popular concealed carry gun option with an instructor or other knowledgeable persons help , really cover the process , don't take it lightly and help get the real information to the people , not a 2 minute glance at much longer process of research , training , selection , trial