• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The emissourian - Washington City police chief demands council ban open carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Time to raly the troops - NATO doctrine in effect: an attack on open carry rights in one town is an attack on all!

---

http://www.emissourian.com/opinion/editorials/article_a2613242-9096-11e1-9fae-001a4bcf887a.html

SNIP

The Washington City Council is considering a ban on open carry of firearms. Police Chief Ken Hahn has asked the council to pass an ordinance that would prohibit people from openly carrying a firearm in the city. . . .The police chief said there has been a man observed openly carrying a handgun in a holster. There is no law against what the man is doing unless a business or government building with a sign prohibiting anyone with a firearm to enter is entered. Chief Hahn said he is being proactive and the issue is one of safety. A councilman said an ordinance should address all city property, including the parks. That’s a good suggestion.

It should be noted that Missouri allows open carry of firearms, but counties and municipalities can pass laws restricting the practice. There is a bill in the Missouri Senate that would bar cities and counties from enacting any laws to restrict firearms. The bill was filed by Sen. Brian Nieves, Washington.

. . .

zekester

Well Mike......

We are doing all we can.....

Perhaps it is time for the OCDO...make a concerted effort to help us....

You know what they say...one bad apple spoils the whole barrel....well the barrel is full...we have a premption bill and it seems that all lawmakers are running from it like scared rabbits....

We fight...we call, we write, we meet in person...NRA is fighting against us and time is running out...May 18th if I am correct....

What else do you want us to do......?

Oc is dead in Missouri unless we have some help......

We are nothing more than a bunch of loose net people trying to do the right thing, but no one seems to want to centralize anything.

I proposed this over two years ago.

By no means am I giving up....organizationally skills are lacking....(IMHO)

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Sent to paper:

So, there are people conducting themselves in a legal manner, breaking no laws what so ever, and the police chief seeks to strip them of their right to conduct themselves in this legal manner?

I thought the current political climate was for REDUCED government and regulation, not INCREASED!

As the chief has already stated, with a CCW this "person" if they have a permit, simply will be required to dress differently and cover his firearm with his shirt. Hmmm, how does that equate to "proactive" solutions to a problem? By the way, what is it again that is the problem?

No one but police should openly carry a firearm? Seems to me the chief needs to clean up his own yard before running off at the mouth about others! Instead of as quoted in the Missourian as an "accidental shooting" why not reference it for what it really was, a NEGLIGENT shooting! Seems one of his officers never learned that you keep your finger off the trigger except when ready to fire the weapon and shot himself in the leg last year. http://www.emissourian.com/news/top_stories/article_da7f58ca-8bc9-11e0-8dcb-001cc4c002e0.html

I for one am offended at the chief's remarks and attempt at restricting the rights of all citizens who visit or live in Washington MO. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones chief and your windows are dirty!

I hope the concerned citizens of Washington MO will have the good sense to contact the leaders and ask them if they are truly leaders or if they like the chief seek to be rulers.

I for one support and pray Senator Nieves gets his bill through to prevent these power mongers from trampling the Constitution they swore to uphold and give all citizens in the great state of Missouri the rights they were guaranteed! These goofballs who keep trying to exercise power over the citizens instead of remembering the oath they took need to be booted to the curb.

What difference does 1 millimeter of cloth covering the firearm make?

Baked on Grease

If I were on that council I would gladly comply and write up the law for him. I would also make sure that there is wording that expressly forbids any exceptions in the law for LEO. What's good for goose is good for the gander, right? If OC is such a safety issue then cops would be inherently unsafe to themselves and those around them. I mean, think of the children!
/sarcasm

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

OC for ME

Won't work.

It is not about the right to go armed, it is about the right to defend yourself and the city and chief want to remove that right. They wish to make self-defense a privilege, given or taken at the whim of the county sheriff.

So, if you meet the requirements of RSMo 571.101 for eligibility for a CCW 'permit' then you may defend yourself. Until you meet these requirements you are not permitted to defend yourself.

That is the language to use. Question to the chief, will you or your officers be there, every time, to protect me after such a ordinance is enacted?

City attorney in so many words tells chief he is a dumb ass and to sit down and shut up.

Chief Lies a Lot quotes from the article.

Safety Concerns

Hahn stressed that safety was his sole reason for proposing the open carry ban in Washington.

“My concern was that if a citizen saw this guy with a gun strapped on and thought a crime was about to be committed, he might decide to take matters in his own hands,” Hahn said. “It was always a safety issue.

“I’m definitely pro gun and pro Second Amendment right,” the police chief said.

“We have an open and transparent government,” Hahn added. “That’s why we are able to have discussions like this.”

Hahn noted last week that there is no law against openly carrying a firearm unless a business or government building prohibits it and posts a sign indicating that.

RugerDan

Time to raly the troops - NATO doctrine in effect: an attack on open carry rights in one town is an attack on all!

---

http://www.emissourian.com/opinion/editorials/article_a2613242-9096-11e1-9fae-001a4bcf887a.html

SNIP

The Washington City Council is considering a ban on open carry of firearms. Police Chief Ken Hahn has asked the council to pass an ordinance that would prohibit people from openly carrying a firearm in the city. . . .The police chief said there has been a man observed openly carrying a handgun in a holster. There is no law against what the man is doing unless a business or government building with a sign prohibiting anyone with a firearm to enter is entered. Chief Hahn said he is being proactive and the issue is one of safety. A councilman said an ordinance should address all city property, including the parks. That’s a good suggestion.

It should be noted that Missouri allows open carry of firearms, but counties and municipalities can pass laws restricting the practice. There is a bill in the Missouri Senate that would bar cities and counties from enacting any laws to restrict firearms. The bill was filed by Sen. Brian Nieves, Washington.

. . .

So does this mean the police are going to cover their weapons up too, for safty of course.