• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Beach Amphitheater

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Anyone know if they are City owned. We're going to a Beach Boys Concert in July.
I can't find a rule page and need the weapons policy.

I also need to find just how much camera I can get by the photo Nazi's.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Anyone know if they are City owned. We're going to a Beach Boys Concert in July.

I've never been there but found this:
Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheatre Website goes to Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach. I cant find who owns it.
General Rules

All items are subject to change per artist restrictions. NO bottles, coolers, or pets. NO weapons or recording devices are permitted. Blankets and cushions are allowed (restricted on some shows).
Call venue for more info.

LAWN CHAIR POLICY – guests are welcome to bring personal lawn chairs into the
amphitheater. To ensure clear sightlines for all of our guests, only low lawn chairs with a seatback no higher than 9” off the ground are permitted.

FOOD POLICY FOR MOST SHOWS - the amphitheater will permit patrons to bring in most food items as long as they fit in a one gallon clear zip-loc style bag. For safety concerns patron will be required to show the bag to amphitheater staff upon entering facility. One factory sealed bottle of water is also permitted.

CAMERA POLICY - Personal cameras are allowed in the venue subject to artist approval. Flash photography, video and removable lens cameras are not permitted without venue approval.

Children Rules

Children 2 and under free on lap.
Family specials: some shows will be designated as a family special. This permits one child (12 yrs or under) free admission onto the festival lawn with each adult ticket holder. Call venue for list of family specials.

Blk97F150

According to Wiki, its own by 'Live Nation Entertainment'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_Bureau_Live_at_Virginia_Beach

Address
3550 Cellar Door Way
Virginia Beach, VA 23456

Type
Outdoor amphitheatre

Opened

Owner
Live Nation Entertainment

Former name(s)
Virginia Beach Amphitheater (1996, 2010-11)
GTE Virginia Beach Amphitheater (1996-2006)
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater at Virginia Beach (2006-2010)

Seating type
Reserved and lawn seating

Capacity
20,000[1]

Website
Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
According to Wiki, its own by 'Live Nation Entertainment'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_Bureau_Live_at_Virginia_Beach

Address
3550 Cellar Door Way
Virginia Beach, VA 23456

Type
Outdoor amphitheatre

Opened

Owner
Live Nation Entertainment

Former name(s)
Virginia Beach Amphitheater (1996, 2010-11)
GTE Virginia Beach Amphitheater (1996-2006)
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater at Virginia Beach (2006-2010)

Seating type
Reserved and lawn seating

Capacity
20,000[1]

Website
Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach

Thanks guys...looks like I need some custom luggage!:uhoh:

wylde007

Absolute C***

That this is "owned" by Live Nation when the CITY OF VIRGINIA BEACH put up almost 2/3 of the cost in bonds to build the damnable thing.

Standing by that "logic"... and this still should hold true I found the following which may be worth delving deeper into:

"Virginia Beach paid for more than half of the amphitheater's construction costs and receives five percent of all sponsorships."

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/116742684.html?storySection=story

If Virginia Beach still holds a financial interest in the property, then shouldn't they be prohibited by preemption from prohibiting lawfully-carried arms?

Yes. Yes they should.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That this is "owned" by Live Nation when the CITY OF VIRGINIA BEACH put up almost 2/3 of the cost in bonds to build the damnable thing.

Standing by that "logic"... and this still should hold true I found the following which may be worth delving deeper into:

"Virginia Beach paid for more than half of the amphitheater's construction costs and receives five percent of all sponsorships."

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/116742684.html?storySection=story

If Virginia Beach still holds a financial interest in the property, then shouldn't they be prohibited by preemption from prohibiting lawfully-carried arms?

Yes. Yes they should.

I think I can get away with taking the GH2,,,it doesn't look like a professional camera if I use a small lens.

I'm going to look into the preemption side of it and if I can't carry a gun, I'll take my Taser in and leave the gun in the car.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter, I've seen them have deputies posted at the ticket entrance wanding people on multiple occasions as well.

Beautiful place to take in a rock show, but the $12 beer is highway robbery!

No problem, I'm not going to carry a gun where it's illegal. I'll just leave it in the car. The camera I'm taking will get by nearly any Deputy. They're generally too stupid to know the difference between 1080P and a Polaroid Snapshot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IMO preemption applies

The city owns the land, built the facility and has never sold it/transferred ownership. IMO - this is no different that the Richmond Coliseum, Hampton Coliseum, Norfolk Scope = preemption applies.

Perhaps someone FOIA the city of Virginia Beach to see how they will answer the question of ownership. :cool:

In its arrangement with Live Nation, which operates the amphitheater, the city gets 5 percent of all sponsorships. In 2009, the city received $53,000, Wawner said.
http://hamptonroads.com/2010/03/virginia-beach-venue-no-longer-carries-corporate-name

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/02/va-beach-amphitheater-gets-new-name-farm-bureau-liveIn its arrangement with Live Nation, which operates the venue, the city gets 5 percent of all

Virginia Beach Mayor Will Sessoms praised the Farm Bureau partnership and cited the amphitheater as a successful public-private partnership. The city owns the property and shares in the venue's profits.
http://articles.dailypress.com/2011...heater-big-country-country-megaticket-package

The city of Virginia Beach owns the amphitheater. It is leased by concert promoters
http://articles.dailypress.com/1996-12-31/news/9612310047_1_concert-venue-seating-disabled

suing the private company that runs the city-owned venue, saying it is illegally monopolizing the live-music industry here.
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-68466984.html

wylde007

The city owns the land, built the facility and has never sold it/transferred ownership. IMO - this is no different that the Richmond Coliseum, Hampton Coliseum, Norfolk Scope = preemption applies.
I though it was funny when I went to see Megadeth at Hampton and the sign read (paraphrased) "No knives, outside food or drink, or PROFESSIONAL camera equipment allowed".

Their sign acknowledged, by omission, that they could not prohibit lawfully-carried firearms.

Handheld (point-and-shoot) cameras were everywhere, just no Nikons with howitzer lenses.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks Grape!
That saved me a lot of time today and confirmed my suspicion that it was going to be another Richmond Coliseum.

It's funny, if it is city owned they can't ban my gun but can ban my Tazer:lol:

I'm going to take my hacked XXX. Does better video than some Red's and with the TE crop, I can double the focal length without losing any image quality...and it looks like a small Tourist DSLR.

With a small 50mm Pentax A lens it almost takes video in pitch black

race1.jpg

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
It's funny, if it is city owned they can't ban my gun but can ban my Tazer:lol:

That brings up an interesting point.

We don't need just a change to CWP. What we need is complete state preemption of all weapons laws.

This would/should include what (knives, tasers, batons et al) & where (K-12 schools, universities etc)

grylnsmn

Not necessarily. It depends on the exact relationship between the city and the operators.

If the city hired Live Nation to act as their agents in operating the facility, then you are correct. However, if Live Nation is leasing the property from the city, then Live Nation would not be covered by preemption, per the March 16, 2010 AG's opinion.

To a certain extent, that makes sense. If the city were to own an apartment building and I were to lease one of the apartments, then I would be free to prohibit firearms within the property that I leased. However, the city couldn't hire someone to manage the property on their behalf and allow that person to prohibit firearms on the property.

Which means that the real question is does Live Nation lease the amphitheatre, or are they merely contracted to operate it?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not necessarily. It depends on the exact relationship between the city and the operators.

If the city hired Live Nation to act as their agents in operating the facility, then you are correct. However, if Live Nation is leasing the property from the city, then Live Nation would not be covered by preemption, per the March 16, 2010 AG's opinion.

To a certain extent, that makes sense. If the city were to own an apartment building and I were to lease one of the apartments, then I would be free to prohibit firearms within the property that I leased. However, the city couldn't hire someone to manage the property on their behalf and allow that person to prohibit firearms on the property.

Which means that the real question is does Live Nation lease the amphitheatre, or are they merely contracted to operate it?

Yep!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
FOIA Sent Grapeshot!

When I read the documents, we can figure out what the relationship is!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No FOIA's yet but I did get my concert wardrobe!:eek:
West Coast Camo..

51YV18ZQ5SL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited:

kenny

I live in Va Beach in another life. I remember the land before it became a concert venue. It was owned by the city. I believe you will find the same type of arrangement that Richmond has with SMG.

The land was originally part of Princess Anne County before it was absorbed by the City of Virginia Beach.

Last edited: