• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC: Gifford Pinchot NF

Status
Not open for further replies.

glock23

Sorry I'm not a regular poster but this has gotten me hot! So me and a buddy decided to do some hiking in Gifford Pinchot forest we arrived fairly early there was two cars at the trailhead. I thought to be be safe from four legged critters and two legged that I would take a .45 on a belt holster and a shotgun slung over my chest, my buddy had a .40 on his belt. The morning part of the hike went great we hiked for about 3hrs in and found a nice resting spot by a couple waterfalls in the area. We decided to eat lunch at this spot after about 45min we see some other hikers that are probably in there 70s hiking, stop and they decided that they can't cross the stream in which they decide to have a break their. We wrap up and start to head back as we come past the fellow hikers they ask us what was on the other side of the stream as they cant cross it as it's to risky for them. One of the guys ask us what we are hunting and I say nothin just in case four legged or two legged critters want to do us harm, with that I end the chit chat. As we hike back we encounter more hikers a couple get the big eyeballs but nothing more. We make it to the trail head as does the hikers we talked to, I put the gear in the truck windows are down and I start to drive away when we hear one of them say "those guys are so scared of the forest they have to carry guns" I just smiled and waived. This got me thinking what in the world would they do to a cougar that wants to have lunch reason with it? I have no idea what is in the minds of other people out their also that might be up to no good. They think I'm the nut, I think you are careless if you don't take a firearm with you. Any added thoughts? Sorry for the rant.

amlevin

If you're legal, just ignore and enjoy.

As for the shotgun slung over your chest??? Read RCW 9.41.270 and give some thought as to how not just a Law Enforcement Officer, but a Court and Jury might interpret your actions.

Based on the events of this last week/weekend, hikers are bound to associate your actions with the likes of the bonehead who took to his bunker in the North Bend area.

FWIW, if there were that many hikers in the area I seriously doubt that there were many 4-legged critters around that could do you harm. For the two legged ones, as you said, you had a .45 and a .40 adequate for that.

ManInBlack

As for the shotgun slung over your chest??? Read RCW 9.41.270 and give some thought as to how not just a Law Enforcement Officer, but a Court and Jury might interpret your actions.

Is that some kind of joke?!?

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

I am really curious as to how the carry of a properly-slung shotgun, while engaged in a lawful outdoor activity, during legal shooting hours, in a national forest, could somehow be construed as having an intent to intimidate or somehow warranting alarm for the safety of others...

If you can't carry a long arm in that manner, under those circumstances, and at that time and place, when could you ever do so?

MyWifeSaidYes

If it is legal, do it. But when you walk around in the woods with a shotgun, a prudent individual would assume you are going, or have been, hunting.

Their 'scared of the forest' comment is simply their fear showing.

I would have like to hear their conversation, or lack thereof, if you had not had the shotgun.

ManInBlack

If it is legal, do it. But when you walk around in the woods with a shotgun, a prudent individual would assume you are going, or have been, hunting.

Or sport shooting.

You are correct that the games laws of many states require the possession of a hunting license before one can be in the field with long arms, but no such requirement exists in Idaho (I was told by a sheriff's deputy that the restriction was relaxed a few years ago, but haven't verified that). I am not very up on Washington game laws, so perhaps a current resident could fill us in on the situation there.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
What you did was completely and totally legal. Their comments are ignorant and they are irresponsible in attending to their own health.

Furthermore, taking of crows in certain circumstances is legal.

(1) HUNTING PREDATORY BIRDS:

(a) It is unlawful to hunt for or take predatory birds without a hunting license except as allowed under RCW 77.36.030.

(b) Crows and magpies: It is lawful to take crows during established hunting seasons and crows or magpies when found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance provided that none of the birds, or their plumage, be offered for sale.

(c) All other predatory birds may be hunted throughout the year.

(2) SALE OF PREDATORY BIRDS: It is lawful to sell starlings, house sparrows and rock doves for the purposes of falconry and lawful to sell rock doves for the purposes of bird dog training.

(3) POSSESSION OF PREDATORY BIRDS: It is lawful to take from the wild and possess live starlings, house sparrows and rock doves for purposes of falconry and rock doves for purposes of bird dog training.

(4) RELEASE OF LIVE PREDATORY BIRDS: It is lawful, without a permit, to release rock doves for the purposes of bird dog training or falconry.

Last edited:

waterfowl woody

good job guys,safety first then teamwork.

I encounter more people with my shotgun then I do with my handgun and they always seem to be against the shotgun. I usually tell them the wardens name and phone number with a smile and good day.

The unprepaired hikers are the "city" folk type that think the cute animals won't hurt us. eventually one will be harmed or killed by the friendly animals and they will sue the forest for not posting a sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.