• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - WAC ND at Puyallup today

massivedesign

For those who say it never happens, it does and we are all lucky that nobody was hurt.

I read on another site that the Puyallup show had an ND this AM. An instructor had a .380 (unknown if a carry piece or a table gun) he was showing off. Dropped the mag and didn't rack the slide. Pointed it up, pulled the trigger... bang.

The president of the WAC has made this statement:
...This morning a vendor accidently fired a single round from a 380 pistol into the roof of the Puyallup Fairgrounds.
No one was injured, the offending member was immediatly removed from the show.
The Police, Fairgrounds, Board of Directors and Insurance folks were notified.
The show continues at this time, the BOD and Management of WAC will be working to insure that this type of incident never happens again, that people attending our shows are safe, and will work with the fairgrounds to continue to have our gatherings in Puyallup.
More information will be released as we have more details about any possible impact that this incident has on our organization.

John Rodabaugh
WAC President

massivedesign

That sucks for him on many levels. I am just glad that nobody got hurt.

I will also say that I heard that the WAC responded quickly and professionally to the event and did a great job keeping the show moving. Kudos to those working today by not making it a huge ordeal!

SpyderTattoo

I'm sure glad those security people were there to prevent this and save us from danger.

This is the most idiotic post I've ever read on these boards. Is this the same as blaming the police because they can't be everywhere at once?

Instead of being a little somber and making a comment that would be along the lines of "...lucky no one got hit..." you're comment is smarmy and dripping with evil sarcasm. You should be ashamed of using the same argument we all use about cops not being able to protect everyone, against a group of about a dozen guys that are covering thousands of square feet and thousands of people.

Yes, his gun was supposed to be tied up like everyone else's. But how can anyone know why it wasn't? He broke the rules and now he's going to pay for it. Luckily no inocents are going to pay too.

This proves that this kind of thing can and does happen when guys have a loaded weapon at an event where it's easy to just say "Here, take a look at this one..." and BOOM!

Guns don't shoot themselves, people pull triggers. This time it was a guy with many many years of being a firearms instructor under his belt, making a few mistakes. This thing does happen. I was there. For about five seconds you could have heard a pin drop in the gunshow. Everyone who heard that shot instantly had a reality check today.

Thank God no one was hit.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Yes, his gun was supposed to be tied up like everyone else's. But how can anyone know why it wasn't? He broke the rules and now he's going to pay for it.

So you admit to playing security theater too? Awesome!

An ignorant comment.

A poignant and sarcastic comment about the ridiculousness of their rules..... With no way to enforce them...

This completely illustrates others' views of why they avoid WAC shows, because ONLY THE ONES WANTING TO FOLLOW THE RULES WILL FOLLOW THEM.

Your whole 'by removing guns, we can prevent injuries!' is the same crap that Brady spits out, and yet here is clear proof that it doesn't work.. Yet you still support it..

Don't get pissy with me because I point out the fallacy in your arguments.

'The rules are there to protect EVERYONE, so no one gets hurt, and no guns go off accidentally'... Sounds like brady, but it's the WAC saying it..

I see that worked quite well, and again, thanks for 'keeping everyone safe'.. <--- I can't say that with enough sarcasm.

Everyone who heard that shot instantly had a reality check today.

And hopefully that reality check was that ANYONE can lie and say they're not carrying.. and the next shot could be by some gangbanger who wants to run off with a bunch of pistols... and we'll all be standing there.. with empty holsters, or tied off weapons with no ammo and empty magazines.... ready to ........ be victims....

A reality check indeed.

You can call me a dick, or an ass, or ignorant if you want, it doesn't change the fact that I speak the truth.... (and I have a shirt for you)

aldous_huxley_facts_do_not_cease_to_exist_tshirt-p235798077504948548zitox_400.jpg

Nick, I have a lot of respect for you, so don't get me wrong, and I consider you a friend and a great guy (no homo), but you have to see that the policy in place to prevent people from carrying did NOTHING to prevent this, much like any other gun control measure, it only negatively effects those who abide by it. Those wishing to disregard it may do so with relative impunity (unless you're a dumbass like this guy and pop a round off). If we don't agree, I can still respectfully agree to disagree....

GUN FREE ZONES DON'T WORK!

EDIT: I thought the reason for the tied weapons was an ultimatum that 'If there was one more ND/AD that WAC will have to find a new venue' ?

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

thank you TechnoWeenie for post #9!
some one needed to say all of that, but You had the back bone.
I notice no one else is really stepping up to call out WAC and the security theater.

I have been to 1 WAC show and like others will Not spend my money where my rights are not honored.

I hope WAC does more than quietly sweeping this dark moment away.
This guy violated WAC rules and then was STUPID enough to expose the gun
that should have remained concealled and cleared the chamber by fireing it!
he should be barred from WAC membership and all WAC shows, every where, for EVER!!!!!!

but that is not really enough... if WAC is really serious about enforceing their GFZ Rule,,
in order to make us all safe at their show then 1 more step needs to be made!

WAC should swear out a complaint and have this man prosecuted for violation of 9.41.270!
WAC should do all that they can to see that he is convicted!
he is a mennace to any one and every one and he deserves to have his gun rights
put up to a vote of 12 of his peers in a court of law!

Last edited:

waterfowl woody

I have never understood why people act different with there weapons in a gun show? I know when my gun is loaded at all times. It is wierd to me that people lose all self control at a gun show and act like it is ok to unholster a loaded weapon to show people. I am glad a negligent PERSON did not hurt people when he shot his gun at the gun show.

an instructor.... amazing, but yet not shocking to me. yet again I am glad nobody got hurt

ManInBlack

I just had a dispute with some gun show organizers here in Boise about whether or not I had to zip tie my carry weapon at the show. My colleague and I eventually caved so we could keep our display up, but the deputy who was dispatched admitted that under preemption, there was nothing they could legally do to have us removed (county building).

I agree that it is stupid to try to enforce a rule that carry guns must be zip-tied. There were so many people with obvious CC bulges walking around, and the event organizers only cared about the two loaded weapons in plain sight. People who carry normally every day don't become homicidal maniacs or idiots the second they cross the threshold into a gun show. Irresponsible people do irresponsible things, and in my opinion, handling a carry gun in public is highly irresponsible. I never "show" anyone my weapon (other than letting them admire it in its holster) unless I am at my home. Anywhere in public, the answer is "no can do."

Maybe instead of worrying about zip-tying weapons that are carried loaded every single day without incident, we should crack down on irresponsible behavior. Those who pick up weapons displayed for sale, zip-tied or not, and point them around irresponsibly should be kicked out immediately. Same goes for anyone pulling a carry gun out of its holster.

In other words, how about we punish the idiots, instead of the typical liberal/statist answer of punishing everyone with an ineffective rule?

In closing, I've had a low opinion of the WAC for years, and while I am truly thankful that no one was hurt, I hope they now see that their blanket restriction policies cannot possibly be effective.

Last edited:

Vitaeus

Glad no one was hurt. Gotta agree with the whole idea that the WAC is no better than all the other private organizations that we complain about. A properly carried self -defense firearm is safe you cannot make a law or rule that will PREVENT an idiot from doing something idiotic. I have never been to a WAC show and just like any other gun store that refuses me service while I open carry they won't get it until that changes, your opinion and mileage may vary.

DCKilla

Here's a rule that could bridge the gap. How hard can it be?

You can carry loaded, but keep your grubby fingers off until you have left the show. If you plan to try out holsters, trade, or sell your firearm, unload and tie up.

Last edited: